Georgiapacking.org banner

3261 - 3280 of 3299 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Something like this would work fine...

(b) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1 and subsection (d) or (e) of this Code section, a person without a valid weapons carry license shall be guilty of carrying a weapon or long gun in an unauthorized location and punished as for a misdemeanor when he or she carries a weapon or long gun while:
Second to that would be...

(e) (1) A license holder shall be authorized to carry a weapon in a government building location listed in subsection (b) when the government building location is open for business and where ingress into such building is not restricted or screened by security personnel. A license holder who enters or attempts to enter a government building location listed in subsection (b) carrying a weapon where ingress is restricted or screened by security personnel shall be guilty of a misdemeanor if at least one member of such security personnel is certified as a peace officer pursuant to Chapter 8 of Title 35; provided, however, that a license holder who immediately exits such building or immediately leaves such location upon notification of his or her failure to clear security due to the carrying of a weapon shall not be guilty of violating this subsection or paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this Code section. A person who is not a license holder and who attempts to enter a government building location listed in subsection (b) carrying a weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
New gun bill allows carry on public transit: http://wjcl.com/2014/09/16/chatham-area-transit-guns-may-be-on-buses/

Some CAT riders say they don't like the idea of guns riding with them.

"It's really frightful of people carrying guns because you don't know who will shoot you," said CAT rider Stanley Hargrove.

"You don't know if the person is going to harm you or harm someone on the bus or someone that you know on the bus," said CAT rider Deshawn Hill.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just looking for clarification.
I know that government buildings that are screened are off limits but can you leave the gun in the car in the parking lot?
Again I just thought I'd ask for clarification.

·
68,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,268
16-11-127(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

. . .
(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Thanks.
I thought there was a code section but thought it was safer to ask someone who knows.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/1...forum-for-the-governors-race-turns-political/

Clergy members pressed Carter, a Democratic state senator, and Gov. Nathan Deal with questions on Georgia's gun rights expansion, the state's illegal immigration crackdown and healthcare policy. It was a risky venue for the candidates with the election less than two weeks away, and both largely stuck to safe talking points.
Carter told the audience, which included dozens of religious leaders, that he voted for the legislation partly so he could help ensure that religious congregations had the option to ban guns from their buildings. Previous versions of the legislation would have put the onus on religious leaders to "opt out" of the law.
"What I did was to bring people together from all sides of the issue to ensure that houses of worship had real choices," said Carter.
Deal, speaking later, said he told legislators he would only sign the legislation into law if churches had a say over whether to allow firearms into their congregations.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Why can't they just be honest and speak the truth? It's private property and owners always have a say. Neither candidate admits to that.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
I was right about Deal. I had previously posted that he did not want guns in churches, and therefore would not support simply decriminalizing church carry.

·
68,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,274
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/1...forum-for-the-governors-race-turns-political/
Deal, speaking later, said he told legislators he would only sign the legislation into law if churches had a say over whether to allow firearms into their congregations.
Simply repealing any mention of churches in the weapons carry law, 16-11-127, would have given churches full say over whether to allow firearms into their congregations. It would have been enforced with criminal trespass law. As it is now, it is a non-arrestable offense with a $100 fine. Is that what he meant by churches having a say?

Just to be clear, they did NOT have a say at all prior to HB 60.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/th...orgia-pastor-on-sutherland-shooting/489645157

He calls the shooting at the church in Sutherland, Texas eye-opening. He says it has made him reconsider his beliefs on carrying guns.
"I'm willing to give up what I think is right and my concept of weapons to make sure I protect the people I put under me," says Fluellen.
Fluellen says he is considering having certain church members carry guns, a change Pastor Charles Wiggins says he is also considering.
But Wiggins says like most small town churches, they do not really have the finances to hire a security officer.
"Trying to find individuals who are not afraid of bringing their own protection to church," says Wiggins.
Under a Georgia law that took effect three years ago, you can bring a gun into a place of worship if church leaders permit it. But some religious groups, like Georgia's Catholic churches, do not allow guns inside.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Gun-control-in-a-place-of-worship--455687353.html

House Bill 60 became law in 2014 it gives church leaders across Georgia the right to allow or deny anyone from carrying concealed weapons on church grounds.
Pastor Trimm says not just anyone can come to church packing heat. "I mean we are not putting in the bulletin that we want anybody that can or is able to show up next Sunday with a gun."
Pastor Trimm continues, "It would have to be somebody who has good standing with our church who has possession of something legally."

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
Ran across this in a piece and not sure I remember it from 2014:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/parish/georgia-catholic-dioceses-ban-guns-knives-church-facilities

Georgia Catholic dioceses ban guns, knives from church facilities

Jul 8, 2014

Guns and other weapons are officially unwelcome at Catholic churches, schools and other buildings owned, leased or operated by the Atlanta archdiocese and the diocese of Savannah in Georgia. Atlanta Archbishop Wilton Gregory and Savannah Bishop Gregory Hartmayer issued a decree prohibiting guns and knives with blades longer than 5 inches from parishes, churches, schools, administrative offices and other buildings owned or used by the Catholic community effective July 1.
There are several exemptions to the Catholic dioceses' policy. Clergy are permitted to own and keep a weapon securely in a rectory. Ceremonial swords used by the Knights of Columbus, Knights of Peter Claver, and similar organizations are allowed. Students who use rifles for training, such as at the Benedictine Military School in Savannah, can continue to use them.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
“I’m willing to give up what I think is right and my concept of weapons to make sure I protect the people I put under me,” said Eastman’s New Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, Pastor George Fluellen.

He now wants to start allowing guns in church to keep folks safe. What took him so long?

3261 - 3280 of 3299 Posts