Georgiapacking.org banner

3241 - 3260 of 3299 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
What school is authorizing/sponsoring the function?

(2) "School function" means a school function or related activity that occurs outside of a school safety zone and is for a public or private elementary or secondary school.
Functions only apply to K-12. So you might have an argument for a 5th grade field trip, no argument at all for post secondary college/technical/vocational.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, that depends...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/northview-high-senior-killed-atv-accident/ngzSQ/ http://www.ajc.com/news/news/community-honors-northview-high-senior-killed-in-a/ngzYP/ http://patch.com/georgia/alpharetta...dent-dies-south-georgia-accident#.U-1MG40g-Cg It was made very clear this was not a school sponsored event, but I would think if someone was seen with a weapon (before the tragedy) it would have been.
They made it clear that it was not school sponsored so school insurance didn't have to pay!

Sent from my iPhone using Georgia Packing

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
I don't believe a hospital with a residency program = teaching hospital, but that's just a WAG from a guy who just want to protect himself and his family and dislikes people more and more every day.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So if a culinary student from a tech college goes and shadows a chef at a restaurant, does that make the restaurant off limits because it's a school function or learning institution? I would think not...but I don't know.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/New-Georgia-Gun-Law-requires-permits-on-knives-too-271345011.html

Just about every seat was taken at Thursday's meeting hosted by State Representative Wayne Howard and Richmond County Marshal Steve Smith.
The knife has to be made with the purpose of defense to require a permit, but that permit won't fly in South Carolina. Leaders across the river do not recognize Georgia permits. That is one of many issues State Rep. Howard has with the law. He didn't vote for it, but he hopes to see some changes.
Do wat? I think a few follow up questions need to be asked.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.wjbf.com/story/26286425/businesses-deciding-on-new-gun-law-signage

Augusta, GA - There is a big decision facing almost every business owner in the state of Georgia. The Safe Carry Protection Act allows those with a permit to carry guns into churches, government buildings, bars, and airports. Staff can carry into schools, but all of the above have the right to refuse guns in their establishments.

The gun law appears difficult to understand, but it's simple.
"There is a big responsibility that goes along with carrying a gun. It is deadly force," said Buddy Lichty, the owner of Shooters Indoor Range & Gun Shop.

Inside Shooters Gun Range in Augusta, licensed weapons owners can hit their targets with protection. Outside those confines anything goes. Georgia's new gun law, the Safe Carry Protection Act opens restaurant doors, churches, parks and a myriad of other public places to those allowed to carry. What's seemingly great news for gun owners has some like Buddy Lichty unfazed.

"I don't really go to all the different places that are now legal. I don't go into schools. If I do go into schools I feel funny having a gun on me," said Lichty.
"Just the fact that people are able to carry a gun around without having a license, especially in establishments and businesses. The ones downtown have drinking and there are people who lose tempers," Jones said.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,599 Posts
http://www.wjbf.com/story/26286425/businesses-deciding-on-new-gun-law-signage

"Just the fact that people are able to carry a gun around without having a license, especially in establishments and businesses. The ones downtown have drinking and there are people who lose tempers," Jones said.

What law has this guy been reading?

You know, I was always taught that if you didn't know what you were talking about, you probably shouldn't be talking. I really wish everyone else followed that principle.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/natio...ion-guns-can-carried-into-more-public-places/

"I open my front door and walk in public spaces in Georgia," said Kathryn Grant, co-founder of the Georgia Gun Sense Coalition. "Most people don't think about the potential of violence erupting because it's not a reference point, it's not a part of their experience yet."

For some, the acceptability of guns and the number of people who could potentially be carrying is terrifying.

"If I thought about the possibility of the increased number of guns now that are being carried in places, it would have a paralyzing effect, and I won't let that happen," Grant said.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
"'I open my front door and walk in public spaces in Georgia,' said Kathryn Grant, co-founder of the Georgia Gun Sense Coalition. 'Most people don't think about the potential of violence erupting because it's not a reference point, it's not a part of their experience yet.'"

Well Ms. Grant, I do think about that potential, which is why I carry my gun to stop the violence if it erupts. I prefer to have that capability rather than not have it.

"'If I thought about the possibility of the increased number of guns now that are being carried in places, it would have a paralyzing effect, and I won't let that happen,' Grant said."

So don't think about it. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Just pretend that no one you pass by in your daily business is carrying a gun. Whistling a Disney tune helps, but when that fails you, just close your eyes. That way they can't see you. :lol:

·
68,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,253
“If the criminal isn’t going to abide by the law, then I should have more places to carry,†Georgia Carry Executive Director Jerry Henry said. “Or it’s the responsibility of the place that denies my right to carry to protect me.â€
Georgia Carry aims to educate the public about gun owners’ carry rights in the state and to ensure that people understand that guns are an acceptable part of society, Henry said.
At least get the good quotes! :-o

·
Under Scrutiny
19,382 Posts
http://www.walb.com/story/26364297/guns-are-not-welcome-in-many-places

Georgia's new gun carry permit law has prompted more businesses and churches to post "no firearms allowed" signs. It's an expected debate, as each private property owner now can decide if they want to ask licensed carry gun permit holders not to bring guns there.
"You are breaking no law by going in there. If they ask you to leave, you must leave or you can be cited for criminal trespass," said Georgia Carry Director Chuck Turney.
The Pastor says they know there have been attacks in churches, but he does not think parishioners with guns is the answer.

"No, I think you'd just have a massive gun fight. And probably more innocent lives would be wasted."

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't believe a hospital with a residency program = teaching hospital, but that's just a WAG from a guy who just want to protect himself and his family and dislikes people more and more every day.
I had done a little more research on this before the GCO convention, but am just getting back to posting this now. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services basically define a teaching hospital as one which receives Graduate Medical Education payment as part of their overall Medicare reimbursement. The formula and requirements are complex. A list of US teaching hospitals can be found at http://cms.gov/site-search/search-results.html?q=teaching%20hospital.

Is it an institute of post-secondary education? Tough question to answer. Might be, might not be. I have not ever looked to see if there is such a thing or is it just a catchall phrase.

Just a guess, but I would think it meant an actual accredited school of some sort.

If it is just a catchall phrase, then what is an "institute" of education.
Institute per the dictionary is - "an organization created for a particular purpose (such as research or education)"
Was Floyd Hospital created for education? I don't think it was. Education is just a secondary mission, primary being healthcare.

So you might be able to somehow squeeze Floyd into that, but that would seem to me to be a very strained reading.
I think you're probably right as to whether a designated teaching hospital was created for the particular purpose of research/education. Something like Emory University Hospital might be an exception.

More on Floyd specifically in my next post.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,661 Posts
I had done a little more research on this before the GCO convention, but am just getting back to posting this now. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services basically define a teaching hospital as one which receives Graduate Medical Education payment as part of their overall Medicare reimbursement. The formula and requirements are complex. A list of US teaching hospitals can be found at http://cms.gov/site-search/search-results.html?q=teaching%20hospital.

I think you're probably right as to whether a designated teaching hospital was created for the particular purpose of research/education. Something like Emory University Hospital might be an exception.

More on Floyd specifically in my next post.
Jeff, what about what constitutes a mental hospital per 37-1-1? See my last post here:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2714289#post2714289

·
Registered
928 Posts
Officials at Floyd Medical Center said they are working with their attorney to comply with the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014, which will likely mean guns can be brought onto the hospital campus.
I don't think HB60 changes much for most hospitals, and Floyd is no different. An argument could be made that it is a gov't building, but probably only when the Board is meeting in the eyes of the law. I'd lean more toward them being private property, or maybe a private entity in control of public property. The "ownership" status is very complex, but in most cases, I think the ability to ban guns is limited however it will not stop them from trying. As a general rule, hospitals don't like guns. The gunbuster signs at Floyd were up before HB60.

"We will adhere to the law," said Walker.
:righton: I will look for an opportunity to provide input.

"Our exception is that we still will make it a condition of employment that employees are not allowed to have weapons."
:waiting:.
This was pretty much right on the mark. For purposes of policy and the law, a private entity is in control of public property.

But - and I've mentioned similar in other posts - hospitals are like Franken-buildings. Not all buildings of a hospital organization have the same ownership structure. For example, the main campus may be public property, but the "attached" medical office building may be private property. Similarly, the hospital may be leasing space in other off-site buildings owned by private entities, so you could be trespassed if asked to leave and you refuse. Another building may be dedicated to behavioral health and is thus off-limits.

HB60 may have prevented some hospitals from prohibiting carry, but not all hospitals or hospital locations are created equal. Though potentially less restrictive, I wouldn't be surprised if several court cases come from this. Nobody is a fan of invisible lines, but my advice is be confident you know the ownership structure and associated laws/requirements of the exact location you are in. Being wrong means you might be trespassed, or worse, in an off-limits location. Be careful out there.

·
0 Posts
I still maintain that the codified definition of "government building" is problematic as it difficult to understand, and which buildings are and which are not "government building" nearly impossible to discrern. Hospitals for example as outlined above.

As such, is there any possibility to have a ruling that law is vague?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I still maintain that the codified definition of "government building" is problematic as it difficult to understand, and which buildings are and which are not "government building" nearly impossible to discrern. Hospitals for example as outlined above.

As such, is there any possibility to have a ruling that law is vague?
I don't think anyone disagrees with you that it is problematic and difficult to understand.

However, the security bit clears it up some or at least makes it not matter. If you walk in and no one is restricting or screening the entrance and as long as it isn't covered in some other way (like mental hospital, judicial proceedings, or school), then it doesn't really matter if it is a public building.

A ruling is doubtful. The public gathering law was not ruled as vague and it was 1000 times more vague that public buildings.

It would be best to get rid of the law, second best would require notice (someone telling you) and ability to leave for any off limits locations before you are breaking the law.

3241 - 3260 of 3299 Posts