Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 3299 Posts

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,382 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Would this make a good vehicle to attach GWL holders to the list?
 

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

What makes retired judges special?
 

·
Junior Butt Warmer
Joined
·
46,427 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

mountainpass said:
Would this make a good vehicle to attach GWL holders to the list?
"...if you get a permit then you don't need a permit... but if you don't have a permit then you need to get a permit..."

Wait, what?

If the point is to make fewer place off limits then the solution is to strike the off limits locations from statute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

HydroAuto said:
What makes retired judges special?
The Nobility Clause in the Constitution. They are covered just like the clerks, medical examiners, staffs of select agencies, etc.

Their lives are more valuable than yours. Sorry. Deal with it.
 

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Mike From Philly 3 said:
HydroAuto said:
What makes retired judges special?
The Nobility Clause in the Constitution. They are covered just like the clerks, medical examiners, staffs of select agencies, etc.

Their lives are more valuable than yours. Sorry. Deal with it.
Well then, since you put it that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Yay more exemptions!

They're not even enforcing the ones already on the books...... unless I was told incorrectly, Correctional Officers for the State of Georgia are forbidden by policy to carry off-duty on their credentials even though they're exempt from the requirement to get a GWL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,809 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

HydroAuto said:
What makes retired judges special?
Because they were once a judge, that means that they are educated and, as such, are not subject to emotional whims or other poor decision making that could make them a threat to society.

At least that is what I think the take-away is without applying any rational thought to it whatsoever.
 

·
Junior Butt Warmer
Joined
·
46,427 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

RedDawnTheMusical said:
HydroAuto said:
What makes retired judges special?
Because they were once a judge, that means that they are educated and, as such, are not subject to emotional whims or other poor decision making that could make them a threat to society.

At least that is what I think the take-away is without applying any rational thought to it whatsoever.
Yeah, I think it's probably more along the lines of potentially being in danger from retaliation as a result of their service to the State.

You'll notice there's a definite pattern going on centering around being, or having been, an actor for the State. There isn't, for example, an exemption for victims of domestic abuse or defense attorneys.
 
7

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

The irony is, those exempted by 160-11-130 and that are, for example, thus allowed to carry on school grounds or in a school building per Georgia law, would still be in violation of the ill conceived Federal GFSZ law unless they have a carry permit issued by the state. Even off duty police. Read the many hazards/pitfalls here, under legal effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_S ... ct_of_1990
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,809 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

keepitreal said:
The irony is, those exempted by 160-11-130 and that are, for example, thus allowed to carry on school grounds or in a school building per Georgia law, would still be in violation of the ill conceived Federal GFSZ law unless they have a carry permit issued by the state. Even off duty police. Read the many hazards/pitfalls here, under legal effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_S ... ct_of_1990
Yup - I know plenty of LEOs that carry a GWCL to cover them for off duty situations.
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

CoffeeMate said:
mountainpass said:
Would this make a good vehicle to attach GWL holders to the list?
"...if you get a permit then you don't need a permit... but if you don't have a permit then you need to get a permit..."

Wait, what?

If the point is to make fewer place off limits then the solution is to strike the off limits locations from statute.
But if you can't get them stricken, then getting all GWCL holders added to the list of those exempted is the next best thing.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

GeorgiaCarry.Org Opinion on HB60:
GCO Opposes adding more “special people†to the exemption list
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,809 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Malum Prohibitum said:
GeorgiaCarry.Org Opinion on HB60:
GCO Opposes adding more “special people†to the exemption list
Sounds reasonable. Seconded.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Passed committee. :|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

Didn't realize that this had been heard and passed in committee until I read your article. It has a sort of "all rights for me, none for thee" feel to it (and from your article, the members had zero problem with that view). Not a crusher, but certainly not welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,667 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

of course, I am not on any committee, and no one has asked me, but I think getting the legislature used to giving exemptions and seeing there are no tragic consequences from doing so as a good strategic plan.....in that the argument can be made that "Well, we added W, we added Judges, we added X and nothing went wrong, why do you think adding Y and Z would lead to tragic consequences".....but that is just MY thinking...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

SheriffOconee said:
of course, I am not on any committee, and no one has asked me, but I think getting the legislature used to giving exemptions and seeing there are no tragic consequences from doing so as a good strategic plan.....in that the argument can be made that "Well, we added W, we added Judges, we added X and nothing went wrong, why do you think adding Y and Z would lead to tragic consequences".....but that is just MY thinking...
They need to add cafeteria lunch ladies next. My :2cents: anyway.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: HB 60 Expanding Exemption for Retired Judges 16-11-130

SheriffOconee said:
of course, I am not on any committee, and no one has asked me, but I think getting the legislature used to giving exemptions and seeing there are no tragic consequences from doing so as a good strategic plan.....in that the argument can be made that "Well, we added W, we added Judges, we added X and nothing went wrong, why do you think adding Y and Z would lead to tragic consequences".....but that is just MY thinking...
Sheriff, you know that I respect you and your opinions, and while I do understand your reasoning, I have to disagree on this one. Watching the committee members, some of whom generally support GCO positions, set forth their reasoning on why retired judges (and police officers) are different than the great unwashed in the context of this bill and the HB 35 debate (same hearing) leads me to believe that the reality is different. The legislature giving out exemptions reinforces the notion that certain special people are entitled to be exempt from an otherwise bad law.

The arguments from committee members in general were that retired judges may have developed enemies over the years and needed the exemption. A woman with a violent stalker, however, is denied the same exemption that the committee passed today, in spite of also being in far more danger than a retired judge.
http://www.examiner.com/article/one-gun ... bcommittee
 
1 - 20 of 3299 Posts
Top