HB 6 - Katrina Bill

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I received the following Georgia Gun Owner's Alert email this morning regarding Bobby Franklin's prefiled HB 6:

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I updated bills.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Michigan just passed one, the vote was not even close: unanimously in the House and 37-1 in the Senate

4. Malum Prohibitum

Florida passed theirs unanimously in 2006. Not one vote against it from even one antigun senator or representative.

I would like to see ours amended, however, to be given a little more teeth.

5. Malum Prohibitum

The bill does create a right of access to the courts, but there are attorney fees allowed only in an action to recover the firearm. There is no provision for attorney fees for "an action at law or in equity or other proper proceeding for redress against any person who subjects such individual, or causes such individual to be subjected, to the deprivation of any of the rights, privileges, or immunities provided by this Code section."

Just a small criticism. I would be for the bill even if it was only the last section, and I think this is light years ahead of the current law.

6. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I hope this thing slides thru without too much drama. Georgia should have had this for years. FYI, when my team and I were in N.O. post Katrina we told people that WE saw that if they were smart they would have a gun. I actually gave a Rem 870 to a LEO who had all his firearms underwater at home and the office. He still has it.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Sheriff, last year many law enforcement people came out and testified against it, and none of us were organized enough to go down and testify for it. It died in committee.

This year will be very different. :wink:

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Which committee has it?? If you do the research for me I will follow up at the Capitol

9. Malum Prohibitum

Last year it was the public safety committee. This year the bill is prefiled. It has not yet been assigned to the committee, and the legislative session does not start until later this month, but I would love to have you come down there and testify with me once the committee hears it. Fair warning - there is usually only a few days notice of the hearing. You have to watch these people like a hawk.

There will be two hearings in each chamber. The first is in a subcommittee, then if it survives, it is voted upon after a hearing by the full committee. It can be amended along the line. So, there are four opportunities to be publicly heard. Of course, pressure needs to be applied all along the line to get it heard and then to get Rules to bring it to the floor . . .

But the fact that it is already prefiled before the legislative session begins is a good sign.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Moved along from pre-filed to House First Readers on January 11. Assigned to House Committee on Judiciary, Non-Civil.

11. RIPNITZ

RIPNITZ New Member

I hope HB 6 passes. It would make things alot easier during a tragedy. Now what Im intrested in is HB 7 :D :D

12. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I will be at the Capital the 22-27th of this month, I am gonna talk to the folks about this one as well....

13. Malum Prohibitum

:D

That's good news. All they heard last year was from law enforcement officials shaking their heads and telling them "This bill just doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't make any sense."

Hey, I have an idea! How about you don't seize weapons during an emergency and we won't have to worry about this bill and whether it "makes sense."

14. Malum Prohibitum

Passed Judy-NC subcommittee yesterday and going to full committee Monday afternoon.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The committee page was blank last week.

16. Malum Prohibitum

I sopke to the administrator down there, and they informed me that they are not going to use that calendar at all this year.

Now they use this one, here. http://webmail.legis.ga.gov/Calendar/?chamber=house

You can get there by going here: http://www.legis.ga.gov/ and clicking on "Meeting Notices."

17. Malum Prohibitum

The full committee meeting is today between 3:00 and 4:30 in room 132 CAP. If you wish to speak to the Committee, just show up. Allowing speakers is up to the Committee Chairman, David Ralston, who may or may not be inclined to allow speakers since so many people spoke at the subcommittee hearing.