Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the following Georgia Gun Owner's Alert email this morning regarding Bobby Franklin's prefiled HB 6:

(Atlanta, November 22) -- House Pro-Gun Leader Rep. Bobby Franklin (R-Marietta) yesterday pre-filed HB 6 to ban emergency gun confiscation in Georgia.

Rep. Franklin said he's introducing the legislation to "bring the state into alignment with the new federal standard."

President Bush signed the federal Jindal-Vitter gun confiscation ban into law on Oct. 4. It effectively prevents federal law enforcement and agents from confiscating your guns during an emergency.

HB 6 is virtually identical to the new federal law except HB 6 would stop state & local government officials from confiscating your guns during an emergency.

HB 6 is crucial because anti-gun state or local government officials are more likely to try taking your guns during an emergency, like they did in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.
--
ACTION ITEMS

1. Georgia legislative agendas are traditionally hammered out each December in the weeks before Christmas so the politicians can hit the ground running when the General Assembly convenes in January.

Anti-gunners are emboldened by their recent success in the federal elections and they're already plotting against your gun rights in Georgia.

You need to contact your newly elected or re-elected legislators first thing this coming month in support of HB 6. Keep an eye out for an e-mail alert next week with more information.

2. Be thankful for your right to keep and bear arms in Georgia, and eat lots of turkey.

www.georgiagun.org

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Michigan just passed one, the vote was not even close: unanimously in the House and 37-1 in the Senate

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Florida passed theirs unanimously in 2006. Not one vote against it from even one antigun senator or representative.

I would like to see ours amended, however, to be given a little more teeth.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
I would like to see ours amended, however, to be given a little more teeth.
The bill does create a right of access to the courts, but there are attorney fees allowed only in an action to recover the firearm. There is no provision for attorney fees for "an action at law or in equity or other proper proceeding for redress against any person who subjects such individual, or causes such individual to be subjected, to the deprivation of any of the rights, privileges, or immunities provided by this Code section."

Just a small criticism. I would be for the bill even if it was only the last section, and I think this is light years ahead of the current law.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I hope this thing slides thru without too much drama. Georgia should have had this for years. FYI, when my team and I were in N.O. post Katrina we told people that WE saw that if they were smart they would have a gun. I actually gave a Rem 870 to a LEO who had all his firearms underwater at home and the office. He still has it.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sheriff, last year many law enforcement people came out and testified against it, and none of us were organized enough to go down and testify for it. It died in committee.

This year will be very different. :wink:

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Which committee has it?? If you do the research for me I will follow up at the Capitol

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last year it was the public safety committee. This year the bill is prefiled. It has not yet been assigned to the committee, and the legislative session does not start until later this month, but I would love to have you come down there and testify with me once the committee hears it. Fair warning - there is usually only a few days notice of the hearing. You have to watch these people like a hawk.

There will be two hearings in each chamber. The first is in a subcommittee, then if it survives, it is voted upon after a hearing by the full committee. It can be amended along the line. So, there are four opportunities to be publicly heard. Of course, pressure needs to be applied all along the line to get it heard and then to get Rules to bring it to the floor . . .

But the fact that it is already prefiled before the legislative session begins is a good sign.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moved along from pre-filed to House First Readers on January 11. Assigned to House Committee on Judiciary, Non-Civil.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I will be at the Capital the 22-27th of this month, I am gonna talk to the folks about this one as well....

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SheriffOconee said:
I will be at the Capital the 22-27th of this month, I am gonna talk to the folks about this one as well....
:D

That's good news. All they heard last year was from law enforcement officials shaking their heads and telling them "This bill just doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't make any sense."

Hey, I have an idea! How about you don't seize weapons during an emergency and we won't have to worry about this bill and whether it "makes sense."

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Passed Judy-NC subcommittee yesterday and going to full committee Monday afternoon.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Passed Judy-NC subcommittee yesterday and going to full committee Monday afternoon.
The full committee meeting is today between 3:00 and 4:30 in room 132 CAP. If you wish to speak to the Committee, just show up. Allowing speakers is up to the Committee Chairman, David Ralston, who may or may not be inclined to allow speakers since so many people spoke at the subcommittee hearing.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts