HB 6 Emergency Defense of the Home Act

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by seajay, Nov 16, 2010.

1. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

2. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Active Member

Re: Prefiled Bills

You need to change the definition of a parking facility to match the list of prohibited places. You strike out things like government building, bar, etc, but you left them in the new Section 1(a)(2).

3. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

It's just a definition and not a place off limits. It is used in giving permission to carry at those parking facilities and I didn't see the need to strike the definition for this reason.

4. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Active Member

Because it can be confusing... Why do you need exception for the parking lot of those places if the places aren't prohibited? Someone could argue that the weapon would need to be "in a locked compartment" or "container" if it's in the parking lot of a bar. I know that it wouldn't because (d)(3) is an exception to (b) but it serves no purpose to leave it in there. If you want to clean it up, then clean it up completely to eliminate potential confusion as much as possible.

Cliffhanger

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

HB6: Emergency Defense of the Home Act

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display.aspx?Legislation=31970

This one is coming from the house side. We now have two "Katrina" bills in the works in GA.

6. William

William Member

Re: HB6: Emergency Defense of the Home Act

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I'm a lookin' and I'm a liking.

The most positive thing about this, is if a "Katrina" sized emergency ever occurred in the State of Georgia, then when the Feds came in to try to confiscate all firearms like they did during Katrina, it would give Sheriff's a wider leg to stand on, if the Governor didn't evoke his power to confiscate firearms during times of Emergency.

You would hope some of the more "Constitutionally" minded Sheriff's in Georgia, think SheriffO, would tell the Feds where they can go, if they come in and try to tell everyone that they must give up their firearms or else. It could always get ugly, just as it did for one of the local Sheriff's during Katrina.

If you haven't read about that, its a great read. Look it up sometime.

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Federal law has already changed to prevent this. In fact, it is known as the Katrina law. The only government you have to worry about (legally) in declared emergencies is individual states that have allotted such powers.

9. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

Any agency that receives any federal funds is prohibited from confiscating firearms. Legally anyway...

10. EJR914

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Do you have a copy of the law that you wouldn't mind posting a link to so I can go read it?

11. William

William Member

12. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Perdue was adamantly opposed to relinquishing emergency powers. Perhaps our new governor thinks differently.

13. EJR914

I voted John Monds. There was no question where he stood on the right to carry or giving away powers such as this one. :D