Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
If we pass campus carry twice, does that mean it counts?
I think it's like playing the lottery. Each and every time you play, you have the same remote chance of winning no matter how many times you play.

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
I know this does not have to do with this particuliar bill in Georgia, but Nevada is trying to pass Campus Carry and had Professor John Lott testify at their Nevada Assembly Judiciary Committee on eliminating many Gun-Free Zones . His testimony is very good and starts at the 5:53 minute mark for those who would like to hear it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The interesting thing about John Lott is all the opposition has to do is label his research as contested and then every article proceeds to treat his research as completely biased and every point made gets the same contested and biased treatment. Their contested research is still fine of course.
:rant:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So, what's the status on this bill? Dead?

·
68,469 Posts
I think it was a 'dead bill walking' at the first reading. Just my thoughts.
My thoughts, too, unfortunately. The bill's author is sincere, but he is relatively new and apparently does not really understand very well yet how things work under the Gold Dome.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
So I assume that this IS not a current bill? This thread/bill is from 2015, but it is in the CURRENT BILLS section.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The General Assembly runs on a two-year session (there may be a more official/better word). So a bill filed in the first year of the session is still valid in the second year.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The General Assembly runs on a two-year session (there may be a more official/better word). So a bill filed in the first year of the session is still valid in the second year.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. The last comment prior to MP's was from March of 2015, and hadn't moved from the hopper, so I assumed that it was a dead bill.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. The last comment prior to MP's was from March of 2015, and hadn't moved from the hopper, so I assumed that it was a dead bill.
Actually it is in the homeland security committee.

It goes, Hopper - first read - second read - assigned to committee. This process is nearly automatic.

If the committee it is assigned to decides not to do anything with the bill or holds 15 hearings, the bill page will still say the same thing.

Only when the committee passes the bill will the bill page be updated.

To know what is going on with a bill, you have to check the committee meeting calendar where they list the bills they will discuss/hear/vote on.

·
68,469 Posts
So I assume that this IS not a current bill? This thread/bill is from 2015, but it is in the CURRENT BILLS section.
I believe everything in the Current Bills section is a current bill or already passed. I archived all old bills to the archive bills section at the bottom of the forum. If I missed any let me know.

If it is in Current Bills, then it is a currently pending bill (or already law, passed in the current session).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Actually it is in the homeland security committee.

It goes, Hopper - first read - second read - assigned to committee. This process is nearly automatic.

If the committee it is assigned to decides not to do anything with the bill or holds 15 hearings, the bill page will still say the same thing.

Only when the committee passes the bill will the bill page be updated.

To know what is going on with a bill, you have to check the committee meeting calendar where they list the bills they will discuss/hear/vote on.
Ah...even more good information. Thanks for the further clarification.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts