Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Not Tacticool
648 Posts
It would be nice to stop having to wear a "gun burqa" when going to college. Although Welding class might not be the time to OC....

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Even if it passes (which I am not convinced it'll get out of committee) I am sure the OCGA will be written as "Georgia Don't Campus Carry Act of 2015."

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
The title of this bill alone is going to spool some people up into the stratosphere.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not while anti-gun Deal is in control... Dream on. And even if it did pass, he'd find a way to say it didn't say what it says after signing it... another worthless Republican.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Not while anti-gun Deal is in control... Dream on. And even if it did pass, he'd find a way to say it didn't say what it says after signing it... another worthless Republican.
Remember Deal was a Democrat back in the early 90's. Does that make him a worthless Republicrat?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,672 Posts
Pass or not? Don't matter. Work to get it passed? Yeps. No other answer to that question. Fight the good fight and go down swinging or just comply.

Nemo

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm trying to tell you...

hb826 opened the door for all that misinterpretation...if we don't get hb826 recognized as law, as written and passed by the legislature of this state, FIRST, then every bill behind is subject to somebody's opinion of what it says...and that ain't the way it works...

it's a matter of principle...hb544 may fix everything if it gets passed...but LEST YE FORGET that's the same thing we said last year about HB 826...

come on boys how many times we gotta fight this fight and take this hill...

LBJ said it best...
"F me once, shame on you"
"F me twice, shame on me"

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The fact alone that GGO is claiming both this one and HB543 automatically spells doom for both bills (plus the fact they were both written by a freshmen rep who will have to learn his place). Where has GGO been during the entire HB826 Code Revision Commission situation? Not a peep from them. Now, they want to lead the charge on these bills and show us 'compromisers' how it's done? I like what the bills symbolize and agree with them in principal. But was GCO consulted in any way on these? I'm thinking not due to the poor language. We may have found Gregory's replacement.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
On the other hand, these bills (Campus Carry, Constitutional Carry) make great sacrificial pawns. GCO hasn't expended any effort on crafting them. GCO hasn't expended any political capital supporting them. They allow some centrist and leftists to vote for our bills while still saying no to their misinformed constituents. Our real friends know what counts and that they can make great political hay about "standing up to the gun lobby". It may take a decade or two before attitudes change enough that we get those rights back.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What about this section?

Nothing in this bill shall be construed to limit the rights of a private institution of post secondary education to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on it's private property as provided for in subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127
Does this mean a student can still be thrown out if the school has a no weapon policy?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It means that private property rights are respected, even if the private property owner chooses to operate a post-secondary school. Of course, all the can do is trespass you, since you haven't broken any laws. As for if you are a student, I would say it depends on whether they told you up front that your gun was unwelcome. Smart staff lawyer would put that in the agreement you have to sign. Dumb one puts it in the agreement you sign AFTER you have paid.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It means that private property rights are respected, even if the private property owner chooses to operate a post-secondary school. Of course, all the can do is trespass you, since you haven't broken any laws. As for if you are a student, I would say it depends on whether they told you up front that your gun was unwelcome. Smart staff lawyer would put that in the agreement you have to sign. Dumb one puts it in the agreement you sign AFTER you have paid.
Well if that's the case, I can't imagine this would give us much ground to work from. I have my doubts about many colleges welcoming us to carry, though I could be wrong.

·
Just a Man
6,036 Posts
It will be a strange day in Georgia before the Ga legislature writes a firearm law that makes a private property owner have to accept/allow a firearms carrier onto their property, with no legal way of trespassing them.

Completely different with regards to Public Institutions that are owned by the State and thus owned by the people of Georgia.

There are approximately 63+/- private post-secondary education institutions in GA, and even under HB544 they would be able to trespass a firearms carrier.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly it does not allow for K-12 carry. I think this is a huge step in the right direction but I would like to see it include K-12 like HB 826 did last year.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The fact alone that GGO is claiming both this one and HB543 automatically spells doom for both bills (plus the fact they were both written by a freshmen rep who will have to learn his place). Where has GGO been during the entire HB826 Code Revision Commission situation? Not a peep from them. Now, they want to lead the charge on these bills and show us 'compromisers' how it's done? I like what the bills symbolize and agree with them in principal. But was GCO consulted in any way on these? I'm thinking not due to the poor language. We may have found Gregory's replacement.
This!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts