HB 278

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by geaux_tigers, Mar 2, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

It thought this bill was a bit interesting. It covers firearms as well as "controlled substances".

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/sum/hb278.htm

Please excuse my ignorance; I'm still trying to get a handle on how this whole legislative process works. Is this bill waiting to go to the Senate? It shows, what appears to me, to be a successful vote in the House last year.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Ah, the War on Drugs.

It does apply to a place used to conceal firearms as well as drugs. It also applies to having a secret place where you aren't concealing either.

It does show a house vote last year, but I am not sure that is a vote on passing it (although ti does say "pass") because its history shows only first and second readers.

Dunno.

It is not in the current code.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Most odd, It is not a vote to pass the bill as it is still dead in committee.
    Next bill down in same committee shows a similar vote without moving. Might have been a vote to carry over from 05 to 06.

4. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything that says that it has to have anything to do with drugs.

If I mount a firearm safe under the back seat of my jeep, I'm afraid that would be grounds for losing my Jeep, owing $10k, and experiencing 2 years of manditory government housing. Lots of people with Wranglers add aftermarket storage comparments because there isn't a lot of room and they're easy to break into.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

"relating to criminal offenses involving controlled substances"

So the law it would be inserted in probably has something about drugs in a car in a secret compartment.

Also if you have a permit you are not concealing a firearm from law enforcment, you are concealing it from bad guys.

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

But that phrase is not part of the code that will be inserted into the proposed 16-13-49.1 section, is it?

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is being inserted into the controlled substance section of the code, so I can only guess that a secret compartment only occurs when dealing with a controlled substance.

The code it is following is below, way to long for me to read right now. But it deals with confiscation of things gained with drug funds.
    http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl ... e=16-13-49

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

That bill is a mess. It doesn't do anything but add to the already piling on of laws we have trying to deal with drugs. A briefcase in the trunk, if it contains boring old papers, is not intended to conceal its contents from LEOs. On the other hand, if it contains drugs (or ever contained drugs), it's intended to conceal its contents from LEOs. As for firearms, it's kind of silly. If you have a GFL, you may carry a firearm in your vehicle in any manner. So, no matter where you "hide" your gun, you are not intending to conceal it from LEOs, because LEOs have no interest or concern (at least legally) about a legally possessed and carried gun. But, if you don't have a GFL, and the gun is not in the glove box or console, you could be deemed to be hiding it from LEOs, because now you are carrying illegally and have something to hide.

The bill makes another law against committing a crime, but it shouldn't be a problem for someone who hasn't committed a separate crime.

Don't get the wrong impression that I'm making excuses for it or supporting it. It needs to die a natural death in committee.

9. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

This kind of thing just makes me apprehensive. I've read these horror stories where some law is created for one purpose and then some prosecutor with an agenda ends up using against someone in a circumstance completely different from what was promoted by legistators.

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer