Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HB 257 exempts constables from the prohibition on carrying in publicly owned or operated buildings and the school felony law.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Um...constables as in the Brits with goofy hats and no guns?

Seriously, how would this affect anyone?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Seems like they should just add them to 16-11-130 and if they want to be extra certain about "school zones" they could add them there too.

It doesn't look like the right path is to amend 16-11-127 like this proposal does.

According to my reading of this billl it looks like constables would not be exempt from 16-11-126, 16-11-127.2, and 16-11-128. I guess what I'm saying is they get more for their legislative buck so to speak by adding them to 16-11-130.

So if this passes would that mean that constables would still have to get the GFL and carry in a holster, even though they would be exempt from "school zones" and "public gathering?"

What do you guys think? Malum?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
If this passes will constables ONLY be allowed to carry at "public gatherings" and "school zones" without a GFL but for everywhere else they must have a GFL?

What do you think about this?

Quirky GA Gun laws.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I guess we should add this to the "Current Bills" page?

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Um, this is the current bills page :wink:

and my description above was incorrect, so I changed it. The bill would not exempt constables from public gatherings generally, but only from the prohibition on publicly owned and operated buildings. You know, so they could walk into the courthouse to get their paperwork without getting arrested!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Some info.

Um...constables as in the Brits with goofy hats and no guns?

Seriously, how would this affect anyone?
I found this at Wikipedia:

Georgia
In Georgia, state law permits counties to establish constables as officers appointed by the Chief Magistrate Judge of the county's Magistrate Court, who serve at the pleasure of the Chief Magistrate.

The powers and duties of constables include: attending all regular sessions of Magistrate Court; collecting and paying money owed to the court; executing and returning all warrants, summonses, executions, and other processes directed to them by the magistrate court; and other duties. However, unlike police officers and sheriffs, constables can only make arrests with a warrant or at the direction of and in the presence of a judge.

Georgia code Title 15, Chapter 10, Sections 100 through 104 defines the roles, powers, and duties of constables.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Thanks for the clarification GAGunOwner.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Judiciary Non Civil Committee Hearing at 2:00 p.m.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
If this looks like it is going anywhere we could try to add some pro-gun amendments to it. :devil:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
On the "Current Bills" tab it says that if HB 915 passed this constables law wouldn't be needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't these constables still have to get their special law to be able to carry in public K-12 schools?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
On the "Current Bills" tab it says that if HB 915 passed this constables law wouldn't be needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't these constables still have to get their special law to be able to carry in public K-12 schools?
Oops, your right.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
House passed on February 26, 2008. Senate considering.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Thank God. This is what we need, to widen the gap of "rights" between public officials and the common scum citizens. After all, they and their protection are far more important that us and ours.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I though that there was only going to be one gun bill this year. They should just add this to HB 89 and be done with it.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This one seems not to be developing any controversy. I guess the Senate trusts constables, whereas you, on the other hand . . . :sly:

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hearing in Senate Judiciary Committee Monday at noon. First item of business.

Room 307 Coverdell Legislative Office Building

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Hearing in Senate Judiciary Committee Monday at noon. First item of business.

Room 307 Coverdell Legislative Office Building
Thanks for the update...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts