HB 193 - response to my letter

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by jmorin, Jan 29, 2006.

1. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Hi all. I e-mailed my local state rep. to support HB 193 (restaurant carry) and I received a response back the same day (see below). She sits on the Public Safety Committee. I responded back to her response with some historical info on Florida's concealed carry license holders. I just wanted to show y'all that writing CAN have an effect if we all do it, and do it often.

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting me about HB 193. I will certainly take your point
    of view seriously as I consider how to vote.

At this point I am not prepared to make a decision about the legislation. I
    am sure you are a careful
    carrier of your weapon though I must admit I worry that there are others who
    may not be as careful.

Pat

Pat Gardner
    State Representative District 57
    604 LOB, State Capitol
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:18 AM
    To: pat@patgardner.org
    Subject: Please Support HB 193

Rep. Gardner-

I write you to encourage you to support bill HB 193.

This piece of legislation is important in that will bring an end to the
    disarming of law-abiding GA citizens on their way to and from most
    restaurants and similar establishments.

I am a holder of GA Firearms License and I carry a defensive weapon to
    protect myself and my family. It is my hope that I never have to use my
    weapon, but knowing that violent crime is still a common a occurence in
    Atlanta (APD's chief called Atlanta "the most dangerous city in America" in
    2004), and that fact that I know people who have been a victim of crime, I
    strongly believe in the phrase "Better to have it and not need it, then need
    it and not have it."

Current GA law prevents me from entering any establishment that serves
    alcohol on the premises (90% of the time this is a restaurant). The danger
    lies in the fact that when I and loved ones WALK to a restaurant (a frequent
    occurence in the Highlands, Decatur, Grant Park, East Atlanta, and
    Cabbagetown), I must leave my weapon at home or in the car. Often time we
    walk several blocks to reach the restaurant. I am disarmed on the streets as
    I walk to and from these restaurants and I and loved ones would be
    completely helpless in the face of a violent attack.

While I feel relatively safe on the streets in places like the Highlands, I
    do not feel safe in places like Grant Park, East Atlanta, and Cabbagetown.

You can be assured that gun owners like myself with a GA Firearms License
    are extremely law-abiding and responsible and we would not drink at these
    restaurants if we were carrying. History has shown that we are not a threat
    to anyone.

In fact we would never use our weapons except in life-threatening situations
    and we had no other choice.

Rep. Gardner, please show your support for HB 193 and return to us the
    ability to protect ourselves in life-threatening situations on the streets
    on Georgia.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jason Morin

2. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Another point to make...

If you're forced to leave your firearm in your car, it may be more vulnerable to theft. If that happens, it is more likely to be used for a criminal purpose. Therefore, you be able to carry it with you as many places as possible.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

jmorin, I would like to tranlate the above email for you as I listen to Holst's "Mars, the Bringer of War" via web cast.

Allow me to say what she really meant:

Dear Jason,

Why are you bothering me about HB 193? While I really do not wish to tick you off, as you are a constituent and I need your vote, why in the heck do you want to carry a gun into a restaurant? Don't you know poeple are going to be shot in retaurants by all the "non-careful" license holders out there?

I worry about this. I worry a lot.

Perhaps you do not realize that everywhere we have allowed license holders to carry, non-careful license holders have had gun accidents resulting in massive bloodbaths. This is what I worry about.

In order to placate you, though, I will attack Georgia's hundreds of thousands of license holders, knowing they will not see this email, but give you faint praise relating to how careful you are with your firearm, even though I do not know you from Adam.

Signed, your "rep."

:roll:

My reply would simply be to point out the safety record of Georgia firearms license holders, since that is her worry. If there are no issues now outside of restaurants that serve alcohol (tell me now if there was the Georgia firearms license holder "Denny's massacre" so I do not put my foot in my mouth), then why would the blood baths start in restaurants that serve alcohol?

I think the point of her email to you is that she really does not want us carrying anywhere. If that is not true, then her response is not logical.

Were I worried about firearms license holders not being "careful," then I would be worried about them everywhere. Correct?

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

MP: Well said.

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Definitely sounds like what Malum wrote. Seems she was creating a "dance around the subject" response.

6. Malum Prohibitum

My reply would simply be to point out the safety record of Georgia firearms license holders, since that is her worry. If there are no issues now outside of restaurants that serve alcohol (tell me now if there was the Georgia firearms license holder "Denny's massacre" so I do not put my foot in my mouth), then why would the blood baths start in restaurants that serve alcohol?

Kindly ask her to reconsider . . .

"You may not be aware that . . ."

7. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Maybe I should send this letter...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Deear Repersentative Pat Gardner,

Perhaps in the case of your failing to support HB 193 you should fear for your job more so that the not so careful firearm license holders. We will make every effort to fully support your adversary in the next election should this bill fail to receive your support.

Clint Johnson
    Georgia Firearm Owners Defense League
    Web site
    address
    phone
    fax
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts?

8. Malum Prohibitum

I do not believe threats work as well as reasoned persuasion. In fact, I think threats dull the hearing for future communications.

Just my opinion. :wink:

9. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Hold the venom there seajay.

We want to "win the hearts" of the ignorant legislators, not make them scared sh*tless of us. Ignorance can be cured, and jmorin planted a seed that can be carefully nursed into a beautiful plant. Let's save the venom for the ones who actually think we're the adversary and not the ones who are just "unsure".

10. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Re: Letter

Yes, it's obvious by her tone in her response that she has issues with concealed carry and guns in general.

I've learned that sometimes even when you produce irrefutable data that demonstrates the trustworthiness and exemplary record of permit holders, the emotional factor and fear of the unknown (unknown = gun) still dominate the doubter's thinking.

We fear what we don't know, esp. when we've been inundated with negatives images of what don't know (ie action movies, front-page workplace shootings, teen suicides with firearms, etc.).

I'm sure in her mind she thinks of drinking and driving, and the same could happen with a gun. Just like alcohol and cars don't mix, neither do guns and cars.

Sometimes I believe the only way to convince them is to adopt the enemy's tactic - appeal to the emotions. How? Through stories of how concealed carry has stopped criminals and saved innocent lives.

My plan is to work on Mrs. Gardner with continued letters on a monthly basis, doing my best to educate her. Perhaps a few real stories of concealed carry holders (esp. females) in GA who've used their weapon defensively. But sarcasm and criticism won't work. I want her to listen, not shut me out.

11. jmorin

jmorin New Member

By the way, the state of Florida does an excellent job of posting concealed carry statistics with regard to permits granted, revoked, etc. I would love to see the same data for GA.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_monthly.html

Notice the 157 for licenses revoked after crime with firearm. Out of how many licenses granted? You do the math.

12. Malum Prohibitum

I'll see if I can get my brother to dig up the story of the Mexican restaurant several years ago down in Macon that was robbed, with everybody forced into the back of the restaurant and the robbers taking turns raping some of the females. Ever been to a Mexican restaurant that does not serve alcohol?

PS- I do have to point out, though, that I would rather see the entire public gathering concept tossed out the window as preferable to simply making exceptions to this horrid law.

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Does it count if they only serve tequila in little bitty glasses?

14. Malum Prohibitum

Crime with a firearm = not meeting the rules about car carry in Florida, carry into a bar (in Florida), carry into a Mexican restaurant (in Georgia). It does not mean blowing away somebody for cutting you off in traffic. Also, 442 reinstatements. It also covers a period of 18 years.

I sent the following email to the Division of Licensing:

Your licensing page (Concealed Weapon/Firearms Summary Report) shows that 157 licenses were revoked over an 18 year period for crimes committed with a firearm after a license was issued. Are these crimes violent (e.g., murder, armed robbery, agg. assault) , or do they relate to technical violations (e.g., carrying into a prohibited area – place that serves alcohol, airport, etc.)? Is there somewhere I can go for more detailed information relating to the reasons for revocation? Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

15. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

16. Malum Prohibitum

Well, it's not Georgia, and its definitely not a firearms license holder . . .
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/ ... 5-17-14-59