HB 10 Certain assault weapons; prohibit possession

Discussion in 'Current Bills' started by 00Dan, Nov 24, 2016.

1. 00Dan

00Dan Member

2. 00Dan

00Dan Member

As I read it, the bill does not have a grandfather clause. It provides only for the modification to remove evil features, render inoperable, or remove from the state. Penalties for possession are a misdemeanor. There is an exemption for compliance with the NFA, however that would only save actual machineguns; compliance with anything else would be impossible seeing as they aren't regulated under the NFA.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

What a waste of time.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Was some of the wording cribbed from Massachusetts? Anyone want to bet on which of the GA will co-sponsor her bill?

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The only part of MMO's bill that somewhat resembles the crap that MA AG Healy is pulling up there is this:

Bu then I don't see this term being used or referenced anywhere else in her bill. AG Healy's reinterpretation of MA's assault weapons ban includes a "similarity test" and an "interchangeability test" and I don't see any comparable wording in MMO's bill.

6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

What sort of sentencing guidelines should there be for Mary Margaret Oliver when she is put on trial for treason for her attempts to usurp the U.S. Constitution?

7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I think we should bring back public hanging for such acts.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I think firing squads would be poetic justice. :handcuffs:

9. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Last year's bill shared a common source with bills from other states. Some Google-foo with specific wordings can usually turn up similar bills in other states.

Lemme do some homework and see about getting on my rep's radar about not supporting this one. I've been lead to believe that some of last year's supporters aren't as eager to lend their names to the bill after being snowed last time.

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Maybe some day the Democrats will learn that gun control is a losing issue. I know there are some that will never be able to learn anything. As the saying goes...

You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think. Or was it something about horses and water?

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

No, with regard to most of the politicians, you got it right the first time. :^o

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I would like to think so, but then I see counties like Gwinnett voting for Hillary...

13. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Does this have any chance of passing and becoming law?

14. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

In the strictest most mathematical sense? Yes.

In the reality we live in? I would guess it has a 99.9% chance of never passing out of house committee. It has even less of a chance if it came to a floor vote in the house.

15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

No. It's just some idiots way of wasting perfectly good toner, paper and time.

16. Milamber

Milamber Member

You can lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink but you sure as hell can drown it

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This session? No.

In a later session?

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/04/14/a-deeper-look-at-georgias-fast-changing-electorate/

18. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I've printed a copy of this bill and taken to it with a highlighter to mark up for my rep. I've actually campaigned for my state rep while CCing something that would be considered an "assault weapon" under this bill while also CCing normal capacity magazines. I think that would have made me guilty of 3 misdemeanors if this bill had been law.

19. Bob_S

Bob_S Member

I wonder if the Honorable Oliver, in her heart of hearts, truly believes her bill will stop incidents like San Bernardino or the Ohio State University or the Fort Hood or Boston or any other of dozens of mass injuries and death?

To me, it's like believing you have a million dollars in the bank while the bank says you have nothing and then writing a check for a million. :rotfl:

20. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

It's more like not caring if you have a bank account or not, but forcing people to take your million-dollar check anyway, because it'll be good for them.