have you sent a gun back to the factory?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by cbeyond, Sep 20, 2010.

1. cbeyond

cbeyond Member

So I bought a Rossi - Trifecta (3 barrel model break action youth gun) over the past weekend, and believe that the .243 barrel is acting up. I shot one round from it Saturday, and had the hardest time getting it to breech so I could remove the casing.

It appears my only options are to either send it back to Rossi or find a 'smith that can work on fitting the barrel(s) properly to the receiver. This is the first time I have ever had an issue like this so I have a few questions.

Does anyone have any experience with a gunsmith that can work on break action single shots?

How does one ship a gun back to the manufacturer, it seems according to their website that one can simply ship it to them, and they will ship it right back home to you (makes no mention of FFL), that seems odd to me?

and finally....

Has anyone by chance ever dealt with Rossi Customer Service? Just wondering what I should expect, timewise.

I would rather just find a smith locally and have it fixed, so that I have it for my daughter by opening day of deer season.

I know if I had it to do over again, I would just buy her a quality youth bolt action ...and not try to get "3 for the price of 1" :banghead: :banghead:

2. gordon11

gordon11 New Member

I've shipped one back to Taurus. With insurance it was around $50 and I had to go to a UPS terminal (they have their own name for those but it escapes me). UPS Stores wouldn't touch it. They had it about 9 weeks but it came back fixed. Good luck.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's about it. No FFL is needed, since ownership is not changing.

FedEx or UPS will require shipping via air freight. They will also require that its shipped from a hub location, ie: NOT Kinkos, UPS store, etc.

4. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Call Rossi. Most manufacturer's are pretty good about fixing their stuff. I know from experience that Ruger and S&W will send you a shipping label and instructions to make the process as smooth as possible. Their turn around times were 7-10 days.

5. AlexGCO

AlexGCO New Member

I've shipped a firearm back to Taurus. I first contacted them and explained the issue. They then emailed me a shipping label. I got it back within about 3 weeks. I also shipped a slide back to Springfield. Same thing. It was no problem with either of them.

6. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I shipped a pistol back to Taurus once. They said the problem was a spring. We waited on that spring for over three months. Yes I emailed and called all the time. They finally sent me a new gun. :screwy:
    I sold it and don't own any Taurus pistols anymore.
    I would find a local gunsmith and let them fix it. I don't know where you are located but if it's in the Atlanta area -
    Brian Ott @ Ott Gun Works will do a good job for you.

7. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

since you don't have where you are located in your profile, finding a gunsmith for you would be difficult.
    there are many who could solve your problem quickly I am sure

8. AlexGCO

AlexGCO New Member

Notice I said I got it back in about 3 weeks. I didn't say Taurus fixed it. I ended up trading it on a Ruger LCP for my wife. I'll never buy another Taurus semi-auto, but I have a 605 .357 magnum that's a great little gun. Springfield on the other hand fixed the problem, but that problem wasn't mechanical.

9. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I've dealt with a few FFLs that will ship it back to the manufacturer for you using USPS, for just their cost of shipping and insurance. This could be a lot cheaper than FedEx or UPS overnight.

Worth a few calls.......

10. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I believe anyone can ship a long gun via USPS it is only pistols that are restricted to FFL's.

11. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Hey, that's even better! :righton: