Have You Met Your Legislator Yet?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

If not, why not?

If you are in the Atlanta area, you can go meet him/her in their legislative office while the General Assembly is in session.

If you are not in the Atlanta area, then you can meet them in the district office or even take them to lunch.

There is no need to "argue your case" (although you may wish to mention some of your legislative priorities and offer to help him with his), just meet them, be friendly, and make a good, friendly impression. It may pay off at a later date.

:wink:

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'll be the first to admit that I have no good excuse for not meeting with my legislator.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll be the second to admit it.

4. Foul

Foul New Member

I think my contemptuous scowl would kinda give me away.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Yes, and it would also defeat the purpose!

Just make friends. Friends help out friends. That is just the way things work.

You might want to check out your legislator's rating here, first. If they seem even slightly friendly to the cause, buy them lunch!

The two week shutdown of the General Assembly that started yesterday is the perfect opportunity, because many of the legislators are going to be back in their home districts.

If the same legislator gets taken to a friendly, enjoyable lunch two separate times by two separate advocates of the right to keep and bear arms, or more than two, maybe he (or she) will start to think this is important to his constituents in the district.

If not, then perhaps the legislator will, at the end of two weeks, think whatever he thought before the two weeks started.

No need to pound them over the head, just go and make a new friend. :wink:

6. Malum Prohibitum

With proven enemies of the right to keep and bear arms, I might not bother, but fencesitters, especially, need to see that people advocating changes in the gun laws are normal, polite, law abiding folks that one can enjoy sitting down with and having a light conversation over lunch.

Your lunch might sway them to climb down off the fence, onto one side or the other. Or maybe a lunch meeting with Alice Johnson, of Georgians for Gun Safety, is all they will get?

:D

7. Malum Prohibitum

Just a reminder that next week is the last week on break for the General Assembly, so it is the last week they will be in the home district for a while. The week after that they will be back in Atlanta.

Today would be a good time to call and invite them to lunch on any day next week convenient to them, at a location convenient to them, which leaves it to them only to pick one!

They are usually happy to meet constituents.

:D

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

After they return to Atlanta, how much time is left before crossover day?

9. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

For those in Senate District 012
    Michael Meyer von Bremen (D)
    Albany office (229)439-7504, Law office number (229)435-1470 *edit*

House District 150
    Winfred Dukes (D)
    Albany office (229)432-9891

They will be getting a call from me. If anyone else is in the area and would like to get in on the action, let me know. More info to follow.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I'm in, just let me know when and where....

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Also, another thing we need to do is; when our Representatives do vote/act in a matter that we have asked them to, call and let them know that we appreciate it, and will remember. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That is a good idea.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I don't have a good excuse either.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I have met mine. Didn't take him to lunch though. :lol: