Have you built an AK47?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Has anyone here built an AK47? It seems that I can get a receiver shipped in for approx $100 and a parts kit shipped in for approx $150. Add a mag or two and you have an AK for under $300. Am I missing something?

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you add in transfer, tax, and shipping, it might be over $300. That's the only think I can see.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I think you're missing your time, so that depends on how much it's worth to you.

4. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Do you have riveting tools, reamers, vice, hydraulic press, dremel tool, and jigs? How about US made parts so you'll be in compliance with fed. law? Do you know how to build a rifle from a kit? An AK takes a lot more skill and tools to put together than a plug n play AR-15 build. It ain't rocket science but it's not a trivial task either.

Now for the good news. There's tons of FREE online resources like http://www.gunsnet.net/ , http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/index.html , http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=4 , and many many more. If you don't have the patience to hunt for build info you can pony up the $ and buy the AGI courses that walk you through everything step by step. They also sell some of the specialized tools needed. http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=128

Get on the above mentioned web forums and you may get lucky and find a build party near you and not have to buy all the tools etc..

5. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

You can build one for less than $300 in parts ....yes.

100% receiver $90 or so to your FFL depending on the transfer fee
    Romy G parts kit $130 shipped
    compliance parts $60 (US trigger group,pistol grip and slant brake)

You will need to have a few tools already as was mentioned. Vise, drimel tool, files, and a small drill press. You can do a screw build with just that.

I have built 5 so far and have a few more kits to build. Ive done both screw and rivets.

Here is my Romy screw build
    [​IMG]
    By zzdroptop, shot with C4100Z,C4000Z at 2007-07-10

and my Yugo M92 pistola rivet build
    [​IMG]
    By zzdroptop, shot with C4100Z,C4000Z at 2007-07-10

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I keep thinking tha it woud be cool to build my own and cna do an AK for half the price of an AR.

7. Hickory Flatlander

If you decide to build one I would be glad to help you do it right.

8. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Aside from having your choice of furniture, what's the difference between building one for $300 and buying one of the Romanian WASR-10's from Classic Arms for $300? Better parts? Higher quality?

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Customization? Pride of building it yourself?..not sure...

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thanks, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to. I have to wait until I have the cash anyway. I've weened myself off of credit cards for a while.

I'm thinking about the idrea of being able to say "Look what I built." as oppopsed to "Look what I bought."

If I do, I'll go with a 100% receiver, so that I dont have to get specialized toold for it.

11. Hickory Flatlander

Some of both....its more or less another hobby. Now the M92 pistols sell for near $1000 retail and I built mine for $500.

12. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Gotcha. I didn't even think of the hobby / DIY / personal pride reasons. They are just as good, if not better reasons than expense and mechanics.

13. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I have a new AK with synthetic stocks and I would really like to swap it to some decent looking (but not $300) wood furniture. Anyone have a decent source for some original looking AK wood?

14. Hickory Flatlander

Look in the exchange boards on the sights linked by coolhand. You can usually find some reasonable wood on those ....or post a WTB there.