Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to vent a little, I have been out of work for 18 months and last week I went to apply for a job at a advanced auto parts store in athens, I took the drug test and passed then passed the background check but because i had a dui 2 years ago I could not get the only job they had which was a driver, and that is fine I wanted to work in the store doin sales any way but they had no openings there, but the commerce store near me has openings for store help, so the manager at athens told me to call the commerce manager and tell him I can be hired because I passed everything to work in a store. so I call the manager in commerce and was told that he only hires people that speak spanish ( I think he is cuban), so they have jobs but I cant have one because I am an american and only speak english. :screwy:

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,493 Posts
Sheesh! Tell him he needs to hire a token ******...

But seriously, that's just stupid. I know for a fact that there are still a FEW people in Commerce that speak ingles!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Sounds like discrimination to me.

Call Roanoke at (540) 362-4911 and find out who the District Manager is for that store and contact them directly. Explain to them that you were told by the manager that he would only hire people that spoke spanglish.

If all else fails you could contact the ACLU and explain how you were qualified for the job but discriminated against.

You might not get a job, but it will give you something to do :D

·
Swollen Member
11,939 Posts
spotco2 said:

Call Roanoke at (540) 362-4911 and find out who the District Manager is for that store and contact them directly. Explain to them that you were told by the manager that he would only hire people that spoke spanglish.

If all else fails you could contact the ACLU and explain how you were qualified for the job but discriminated against.

2. Foreign Language Fluency
With American society growing more diverse, employers have increasingly required that some employees be fluent in languages other than English. For example, a business that provides services to Spanish-speaking customers might have a sound business reason for requiring that some of its employees speak Spanish. As with English fluency requirements, requirements for fluency in foreign languages must actually be necessary for the positions for which they are imposed.

A business with a diverse clientele may assign work based on foreign language ability. For example, an employer may assign bilingual Spanish-speaking employees to provide services to customers who speak Spanish, while assigning employees who only speak English to provide services to English-speaking customers. Of course, employers should make such assignments based on language ability. In most cases, employers also may lawfully assign comparable work to employees based on their language skills, and are not required by Title VII to provide additional compensation for work that is performed in a foreign language.
I really don't see a case.

http://archive.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/nat ... html#N_46_

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spotco2 said:

thanks but he is the district manager for that area. :evil: this is just what the good old usa has be come, my wife and I left Miami to get away from this kind of trash, we never thought it would be here too.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
spotco2 said:
Sounds like he wasn't qualified. The job requires Spanish.

The company I work for just hired some folks in China. Guess what, the jobs require a working knowledge of English.

Discrimination?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
spotco2 said:

does he meet the racial requirement to be discriminated against? you know, being white is a disqualifier............

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
There's always Rosetta Stone. :righton:

If you don't have skills to get a job, its a good idea to learn some new ones and that includes language if it can get you a job.

If you don't desire to learn a new language, you have chosen not to be employable to certain employers. This particular employer needs to sell auto parts. He needs someone who can communicate with a large portion of his customer base. He's trying to keep his customers happy, not some dude off the streets begging for a job. He's got more than enough applicants, he's looking for the right person, so yes, he is discriminating, discriminating for the best PERSON to fill the job. This has nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with communication.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no ! :screwy: all that does is cater to them, why can,t they learn english? I was born and raised in Miami , Fla. I know of cubans that have lived there for 40 years and don,t know english, that is bull. no other country in the world does this, when you go to another country you learn the language. this is still the USA and we speak english! I will not be forced to learn another language and i beg for nothing. :evil:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
vanguard said:
no other country in the world does this, when you go to another country you learn the language.
Not true. Go to almost any major metropolitan city anywhere in the world and you will find workers who know and use for the benefit of their customers, the customer's language, particularly English.

It's just good common sense customer service to accommodate your customers which appears to be what the auto parts manager is attempting to do.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
When Spainish-speaking people are rare in America, I say make them speak our language or let them deal with all the hassles and trouble that come from not being able to communicate.

But Hispanics (both legal and illegal) make up a HUGE percentage of the population in some areas of metro Atlanta.
If a business exists to make money selling stuff to the public, they'd better be able to communicate with "the public" even if many of those people prefer Spanish.

So I can see a business necessity defense to a discrimination claim, if the company can document that it has a significant number of customers and potential customers who don't speak English, or don't speak it well enough to easily communicate with the staff, and these customers do know Spanish.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
It's a fact of life. Last time I was in WalMart I had to turn a box over several times to find any English on it. It was a dvd player.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how many spanish speaking people are in commerce? Get real. it all comes down to this ,most of the time when a spanish person gets a job with authority to hire people they will hire thier own people rather than an american, I know this for a fact. look at the city of Miami (where I was born) the cubans started getting into public office and now that is all that runs the city, they wanted to take over the city and they did, there are places in Miami that have all signs in spanish, it has become little cuba. and if you think that wont happen here you are nuts. and it is WRONG.

·
Registered
308 Posts
vanguard said:
why can,t they learn english?
Completely irrelevant to the businessman who wants their business. If they can't speak English, then he sells more to them if he speaks Spanish.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
vanguard said:
no ! :screwy: all that does is cater to them, why can,t they learn english? I was born and raised in Miami , Fla. I know of cubans that have lived there for 40 years and don,t know english, that is bull. no other country in the world does this, when you go to another country you learn the language. this is still the USA and we speak english! I will not be forced to learn another language and i beg for nothing. :evil:
I'm sorry, but you're full of it. A company's job is to cater to their customers. Also, American people are some the worst about going to other countries and expecting everyone else to speak English to them. And you know what, because we're wealthier than most other countries, they speak enough English to get your business! You can go to easily go about France without knowing French, Germany without knowing German, and so on for the rest of Europe. Same with major cities in Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc. for Asia too.

Other countries have retailers and businessmen learn English because it's good business. Stop whining because people here have the same business sense about Spanish.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
so mathar1 starts a thread a week ago saying that he needs a new range employee, and says the person must be a female, and people start grumbling on about discrimination and what not. a guy goes into hooters and doesnt get hired for a waitress job and everyone screams discrimination. but a business refuses to hire someone because they dont speak a language that a minority in this country speaks and they are SOL?

you people really interest me sometimes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ookoshi said:
vanguard said:
I'm sorry, but you're full of it. A company's job is to cater to their customers. Also, American people are some the worst about going to other countries and expecting everyone else to speak English to them. And you know what, because we're wealthier than most other countries, they speak enough English to get your business! You can go to easily go about France without knowing French, Germany without knowing German, and so on for the rest of Europe. Same with major cities in Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, etc. for Asia too.

Other countries have retailers and businessmen learn English because it's good business. Stop whining because people here have the same business sense about Spanish.
what it is called is a sellout , business owners selling out their own people for the dollar, its about whats right and wrong, if you want to have some people that speak spanish working for you that if fine , but to make everyone speak it? NO IT IS WRONG! you don,t know this area ,there are hardly any people in commerce or maysville that speak spanish, SO YOU ARE FULL OF IT, and like i said all this supervisor wants to do is hire his own people. that is what it is all about.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
270sniper said:
so mathar1 starts a thread a week ago saying that he needs a new range employee, and says the person must be a female, and people start grumbling on about discrimination and what not. a guy goes into hooters and doesnt get hired for a waitress job and everyone screams discrimination. but a business refuses to hire someone because they dont speak a language that a minority in this country speaks and they are SOL?

don,t kid yourself they are not a minority in this country, the english speaking white and black man is.

·
Registered
273 Posts
vanguard said:
270sniper said:

don,t kid yourself they are not a minority in this country, the english speaking white and black man is.
Hey I have an idea, earn a degree or learn a trade that is in high demand so you can get a better job. Thats what my wife and I did for ourselves. We both have never been turned down for a job that was in our field. Well wait a minute....that might be because we are both Cubans from Miami! We all know about those "darn cubans".

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
686wheelman said:
vanguard said:
270sniper said:

Hey I have an idea, earn a degree or learn a trade that is in high demand so you can get a better job. Thats what my wife and I did for ourselves. We both have never been turned down for a job that was in our field. Well wait a minute....that might be because we are both Cubans from Miami! We all know about those "darn cubans".
Interesting. I did cabinet work for 10+ years, and now I do cnc machining for a living....... Never figured I'd see the day that someone would tell me that I need to learn a trade........

As for the "darn cubans" comment, that's a bit out of line.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.