Has the AK met its end?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"Morally outdated?", I wonder if that's just a quirk of translation.
    I wonder what it means 'too many terrorists are using the AK and it leaves the impression that Russia is a terrorist sponsor?"

3. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

No, but the defense ministers career might have. :lol:

No way they are going to buy our guns....

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Hmmmm - reminds me of some us politicans deciding that the 1911 was past its prime and telling the military they needed a new weapon. Maybe they should let the military make that call....

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

What about the AN-94?

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

The AK will be around forever, and I have a feeling the AK may just be the firearm that wins the whole pony for the US one day. Not the M4.

7. Atlanta777

Atlanta777 New Member

AK platform is part of modern history and will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Could the AK platform be improved, without a radical departure from Kalashnikov's design?

Keep in mind it's been modified several times already, in the different countries that have adopted it. And the caliber was changed too, about 35 years ago.

IDEAS TO MODERNIZE THE A.K.
    --use the 5.45mm round, not the heavier, harder-recoiling 7.62 round.
    -- redesign the trigger to incorporate the selector-switch option, too. Pull the trigger back with a normal squeeze, you get semi-auto fire. Pull it back all the way and hard, like 15 or more pounds of pressure, and you get full auto fire.
    -- Make optics factory-standard, with the mount attached to the receiver on both the left and right sides and placing the sight right above the receiver top cover. Modify the safety lever as necesary, or come up with a new "safety" around the trigger. Make the mount easily detachable from the receiver without special tools.
    --Forget about the bayonet lug. This thing won't be wearing any knife as a muzzle accessory.
    -- Install a very effective muzzle break / comp / or small suppressor. It doesn't have to be really quiet. Just a few baffles with big holes for the bullet to pass through will do a lot for noise and flash. The supressor should be steel and sturdy (in case the gun gets bumped / dropped) and able to tolerate several mag dumps of full auto fire.
    -- Replace all the wood furniture with high quality synthetic.
    -- Add a comb or cheek piece to the shoulder stock for better cheek weld, for accuracy.
    -- Make the butt end of the stock have about a 2" range of motion. Very quickly and with no tools, the operator should be able to shorten it by an inch below standard length (for use with winter clothing or body armor) or extend it to one inch greater than standard length.
    -- Increase the quality of the barrel and chamber for better accuracy. Demand all 5.45 mm ammo to be made to tighter specifications. Accept a slightly higher risk of a malfunction, but get the accuracy up to 2 minute-of-angle with an optic.
    The goal would be to have an excellent chance of dropping an enemy soldier at 400 meters with one well-aimed shot.
    For an enemy that is dug in and partially behind cover, you want a softball-sized group at 200 yards to take him out.
    -- Make the gun out of stainless steel with a dull non-reflective coating, or leave it as high carbon steel but don't blue it. Give it a proper rust-resistant finish.

9. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Mr. Kalashnkiov is NOT a fan of the 5.45 :cantsay:

10. moga

moga New Member

11. pml

pml Active Member

12. kestak

kestak New Member

Give me or point me to the quote in Russian and I will translate it EXACTLY to what it means.
    Best would be to get it in Cyrillic characters, but in western characters I can deal with it too.

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I wouldn't mind dumping a few mags through that to see if I liked its ability as much as its appearance. Nice.