Hartsfield Airport Carry - Circling back around

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by livesounder, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livesounder

livesounder New Member

I don't know that I've heard an explanation for why, seemingly just out of the blue, Mayor Reed suddenly decided to go on TV and announce that the cities' official position on carry at Hartsfield had changed.

Does anyone know the reason with certainty?
    Was it related to the Eagle Bar settlement?
    Was it directly related to some action GCO had taken?

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Sudden attack of common sense or being able to read English, perhaps?

3. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I seriously believe that GeorgiaCarry.org was the driving force behind the decision. There's certainly not a stronger voice for 2A in Georgia, and "GotURBack" was a front man. Besides, Atlanta officials didn't want another costly suit on their plate.

4. yxhpxfw

yxhpxfw New Member

What exactly is the rule of carrying at Hartfield airport? Parking lot?, terminal area? baggage area?

5. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I've written emails to see if the City or Airport has an official written policy. Has anyone seen something in writing?

6. livesounder

livesounder New Member

yxhpxfw and kwikrnu,

Why don't the two of you go start your own threads with your questions instead of hijacking mine?

I specifically started this one because of what happened to the original.

7. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

My question relates to this thread. Is there a written policy statement? If there is, does that statement explain why the mayor came out as he did? Was GCO involved? If so, was a letter written to the City? If so what was the wording of the letter?

8. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Off Topic :cantsay:

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I haven't heard anything "official", just the standard public releases that the City's legal team had reviewed the changes brought about by SB308.

Remember when the Governor vetoed SB291? He said that he thought SB308 was sufficient. I think the wording seemed to imply that he thought it was sufficient for the airport problem as well.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Good point! I do remember, and it makes perfect sense. He'd likely been advised that airport restrictions disappeared, when public gatherings were removed from the codes. That was the only place airports were mentioned in previous law.

11. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

This is the part I missed. I read all the pages but just missed the language. With that I somehow must agree cept for loosing the Katrina language. I guess its still speculation but I sure would like to know why he changed his mind too.

12. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

this was surprising news to me, i saw it first on tv and i was yelling.... i do remember that when unsecured airport carry first became legal that it was challenged with the "public gathering" thing. it's great that they didn't just drag the scanners/ gropers to the main entrances to secure the whole danged place instead.

13. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

That wouldn't work because you have to be able to handle the checked firearms that the Federal Aviation Regulations MANDATE be allowed. Moving the sterile perimeter up to before the baggage check would fail to take this regulation into account.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Well apparently the LEO and TSA types at the airport have gotten the word and taken heed.
    KwikRnu reports that he did in fact visit Atlanta today, open carrying an AK-style pistol (painted orange except for the fore-end wood) on a sling. :shock: He says he was at the airport and on MARTA this afternoon for over an hour, no authority figure said a word to him. :whew:

15. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

Did you hear the audio of a recent call I placed to airport police earlier this week?

Here.

[​IMG]

I didn't carry on post office property.

16. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Yep, it turned out to be a non-event. I've said all along, I didn't think it was worth stressing too much over it.

17. CoffeeMate

They were all alerted by his phone calls.
    :lol:

:righton:

18. CoffeeMate

Okay Leonard. I apologize for the "provoking" and "antagonistic" comments in the locked thread.

I am sorry.

You have to admit though that the orange paint does make it look like a plastic toy. Or is that the purpose of the paint?

19. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Yep. Probably had cameras on him the whole time. Officers kept a low profile. Non-event is the best possible outcome. Surprised no passengers had anything to say.

20. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I'm sure someone was looking at me. Cameras are everywhere. No one commented about the gun on the train. I wore the pistol on my back so it was hidden while I sat down. People sat next to me on the train. While waiting for the train people saw the handgun, but no one commented. No one backed away that I noticed. While eating a few kids asked me about it, an adult while in line for food, and the guy who followed me out of the bathroom. That is it. I don't recall seeing security or police. Maybe they were busy with criminals...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.