Harriett Meirs

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

President Bush campaigned on a promise to appoint Judges "in the mold of" Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia. He appoints Harriett Meirs. She was a Democrat up until at least 1990.

She said she wants to adhere to the founder's "original vision." Why couldn't she bring herself to say "original intent?"

2. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Because the liberal vision has little if any thing to do with original intent. It's all about the vision of those who are looking.

3. Malum Prohibitum

NOT SO FAST -

My judgmental, quick dismissive attitiude may be unwarranted, given the purpose of this web site.

The "Right to Bear Arms" -- She is FOR it

David Kopel posted on the Volokh conspiracy that, in a 1992 article for the Texas Lawyer, she wrote about three infamous homicides in Texas and commented:

"The same liberties that ensure a free society make the innocent vulnerable to those who prevent rights and privileges and commit senseless and cruel acts. Those precious liberties include free speech, freedom to assemble, freedom of liberties, access to public places, the right to bear arms and freedom from constant surveillance. We are not willing to sacrifice these rights because of the acts of maniacs."

The "right to bear arms" is not something she is willing to sacrifice? THis sentence would not even make sense if she did not view it at least as an individual right. That is WAY more than we got from John Roberts. It's a good sign!

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

From what I heard on Fox News sounded like she was a Zell Miller kind of Democrat.

I think they called her a "conservative Democrat". So when the Dem's started going ultra liberal in the 80's, she switched parties.

She also supported Bush for Gov of Texas.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Harriet is probably a true conservative, and a staunch Republican. What I am not confident of is her loyalty to the U.S. constitution and following the supreme law of the land when it is within her power to substitute her values and beliefs for the clear commandments written in our constitution.

I also have no reason to think that she is the brilliant lawyer, legal scholar, or persuasive advocate that Bush claims she is. It seems that she is just another lawyer, although one with three decades of experience and who has achieved a fairly high level of professional success-- being a name partner in a well-respected firm.

I would much prefer that Bush have nominated Judge Alex Kozinski of the 9th Circuit. He's conservative-libertarian, a staunch textualist who will not disregard those parts of the constitution that he may disagree with, an excellent persuasive (and entertaining) writer and speaker, and he believes in the "individual rights model" of the 2nd Amendment.

Because he's not a card-carrying Republican, Bush probably never seriously considered him. But the fact that he is Jewish would probably help his confirmation with many Democrats, even though Kozinski is an enemy of the Big Brother state and opposes cradle-to-grave social programs.

6. Malum Prohibitum

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Conservative Nominees

Therefore, I hope Bush will nominate a good candidate, a textualist and an "original intent" jurist, and one who will follow the law, not make it . . . overturn long-settled legal doctrines to suit his or her political philosophy is NOT what this country needs . . .

The problem is that a textualist or original intent view WILL require overturning long-settled legal doctrines . . .

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well said gunsmoker.

What I am getting tired of is Bush appointing his buddies to positions they have absolutly no qualifications for.

I mean when a new position opens up, you don't know if Bush is nominating someone qualified or an inept boob he worked with in Texas.

Take Greenspan retiring, I am sure I am not the only person that thought it was a good chance that Bush would nominate someone like his H&R Block guy when he was living in Texas.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Gunsmoker, I am sorry. I attempted to quote your post and reply to it, but instead I messed up your post. I apologize. I was in the middle of a fire alarm.