HandGun - Out of State Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tdk, Jan 3, 2011.

1. tdk

tdk New Member

Sorry for any duplicate postings but my search-fu failed to find anything relevant.

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with purchasing a handgun from out of state. I've had different answers to my scenario.

I want to purchase a handgun from my grandfather in SC; I live in GA. Do I need to go through a FFL dealer?

I talked to a local FFL dealer and he said I did not need to go through him for a private (family) purchase.
    I talked to the local ATF and he said I needed to go through a FFL dealer.
    I talked to my grandfather (who is a retired local magistrate in SC) and he said I did not need to go through a FFL dealer.

Thanks,

Tony

2. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I think to follow the letter of the law you would need to go through an FFL. It should cost less than $20 and won't take long to follow the law.

3. groats

groats New Member

Sorry, your grandfather and the FFL dealer are wrong.
    The transfer must go thru an FFL licencee unless you both live in the same state, OR your grandfather wants to die and leave it to you in his will. Since that approach may seem a bit drastic, might want to try the ATF way.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What Groats said above :goodpost:

But if your grandpa DOES want to leave you the gun in his will and then die, my law firm does wills, trusts, and estate planning. Just sayin'...... if you're willing to wait.... 8)

5. tdk

tdk New Member

guess following the law is always good. just wanted to get some real-world insight...

thanks all.

6. Jason F

Jason F Member

Have Grandpa bring it with him th next time he visits you in Georgia. Swing by an FFL here, he hands it to the FFL, then th FFL transfers it to you in your home state. Done. Easy.

7. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Because this "magic ritual" is the only way to keep the public safe.

:roll:

(I'm not disputing the need to involve an FFL for a transaction which crosses State lines -- I'm just saying)