Hall County????? Updated

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by SheriffOconee, Jan 2, 2007.

1. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

My brother (not LEO, no record, good honest taxpayer) had to renew his GFL in Hall Co last week. Clerk told him that they do not issue temporary permits and the wait could be up to 4 months....Just passing it on FWIW.
    My brother called the Probate Judges office this morning and asked to speak to the judge, the Judge was not available. The person who answered the phone said that "the FBI will not let them give out temporary permits".
    mmmmm, now it is the FBI's fault.

2. BergerBoy

BergerBoy New Member

Yep. I applied and they said not to start calling about the permit's status until the 4-5 month mark. :evil:

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Updated Hall county process and added Hall to the list of counties not issueing temp permits.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:evil:

So, what is he going to do about it?

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(i)

(i) Temporary renewal licenses.
    (1) Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

(3) Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.

(4) During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holdeŕs person together with the holdeŕs previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.

(5) A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.

(6) A temporary renewal license may be revoked in the same manner as a five-year license.

:evil:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Sheriff, what is so hard for probate judges to understand?

(2) Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.

http://georgiacarry.org/cms/category/ac ... -licenses/

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

MP you are asking the wrong person. The Sheriff and Oconee are following the law (and in this case the law is plainly worded and easy to understand).

With no real oversite of the licensing system, it is up to each Judge to follow the law. However it seems many perfer to do what they have always done or do as they please, instead of what the law says.

I wonder why no one has asked the AG for an opinion? Could it be they know they are technically breaking the law and don't want to be told otherwise?

7. Malum Prohibitum

Rhetorical question.

Of course they know that! :D As you know (and as the rest of you can see by clicking on the GCO link above), there have been three lawsuits by GCO over this issue (two are in the link).

Here are GCO's results:

(1) Judge ordered probate court to accept application for a temporary and follow the law as stated in 129(i).

(2) Probate Judge collapsed days before hearing and issued temporary license, then refused to issue to anybody else and has a policy today of not issuing (confirmed by phone call to office).

(3) Probate Judge collapsed days before hearing and, under pressure from GCO's legal counsel, agreed to change policy and issue temporaries to renewal applicants.

They know they are deliberately refusing to follow the law. Like the neighborhood bully you all knew as a child, their attitude is, "So, make me!" And, like the neighborhood bully, they quickly collapse when somebody like GCO finally stands up to them! :wink:

This law could not be clearer, and they know what the AG would say if the question were put to him . . .

8. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I took the question as rhetorical btw, no offense offered or taken...
    Well, our conference is in a few weeks in Atlanta, and I am gonna try to talk about this GFL business some, in fact I might ask the AG for an opinion, in spite of the fact the Judges have lost when they go to court...

9. Malum Prohibitum

That would help avoid a hundred and fifty some odd lawsuits . . . :lol:

10. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I will be seeing the AG in the middle of this month. Enough is enough

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Awesome. But do you really think he will give an official opinion on it? I'd be surprised if he actually put pen to paper on anything on the matter.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It would be an unofficial opinion if he did. Official opinions are ones that are binding to state departments or agencies under the Governors control. Locals are not bound by opinions from the AG so those are issued as Unofficial opinions.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ah.

But do you think he would issue an updated unofficial opinion?

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It's possible, the last firearms license related one was in 2005 and it confirmed the (what I thought was obvious) opinion that a pardon from a drug conviction does not count when applying for a GFL.

15. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I don't know if he will do it or not, but I think the issues that should be addressed are:
    The form and it's requirements, ie, SSN and employment. That seems to be an issue
    Issue of temporary permits, a no brainer
    Any requirement that the judge conduct an interview with the applicant

I will take other comments and suggestions of what the board members want to see in the request, commit it to letterhead and send it to the AG.

Obviously I will post any reply and keep the board updated.

If everyone can have their suggestions to me by Friday at 5 I will work on it this weekend and next week, and have it posted via Gunstar (this is his site not mine) for all to see.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Aargh! It's already Thursday! OK, I will try to write up my suggestion by tomorrow at 5!

:D

Can you open Microsoft Word documents?

17. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

ok, how about Monday at 5, I thought today was Weds when I wrote that
    ETA: I called the AG's office today to speak to Joesph Drolet about an issue he has on his desk from another member on this board.
    Left a voicemail and I expect him to call me back.

18. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

Roger on the word docs, slow down, I am giving you more time. I just want the letter there before I have the face to face with the AG this month

19. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks for the extension! :D I will get it to you by then.

20. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Remember it has to be 500 words or greater, double spaced, in a 12 pitch times new roman font.... :lol: