Halbrook takes on Cornell's 2A collective rights

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Gunstar1, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In this corner, Stephen Halbrook - Professor of Law, pro individual right to keep and bear arms. He takes on a recent study about the writings of St. George Tucker (wrote some of the first commentaries on the meaning of the Constitution and the BoR in 1803) by Associate Professor of History Saul Cornell, states right to arm militia and not each individual.

http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent. ... t=expresso

A great read and only 25 pages long.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Hey Malum, Section 4 digs into the "bear arms" being only for military usage.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I read that. There was also a great deal of discussion on this issue over at The High Road (15 pages worth). For those who want to see St. George Tucker's comments on the Second Amendment, and whether they relate to military usage, they are quoted here on this forum at this page, starting at August 11, 2006: St. George Tucker Commentary Quotations

I suggest reading the other quotes from founders on the same page. Keep in mind that all of these writings are unchallenged, i.e., there is no writing on the other side of the issue saying, no, no, free people should not be allowed to own and carry guns for self defense.

There was only one side of the debate back in those days. The modern controversy was unknown to the founders.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Halbrook's article quotes the Georgia case of Nunn v. State on the last page!

:D