Had to pull my weapon...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by juju151, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's an awesome read and well worth the minutes it takes to read it. I'm glad everything worked out just fine. Welcome to the site, by the way.

:)

2. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

:welcome: Good read. The cop was right. Keep a round in the chamber. Always. I grew up in Detroit, so I know where you are coming from.

That was a lucky man. Even through all his yapping, he knew it, too.

3. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

I had to draw down once.......

JuJu151,
    Interesting handle.
    Like you I have been raised here and lived mostly in Chambodia until my wife and kids moved to the northwest side area where we currently live.

About 5 years ago I had to take a detour to my job in Atlanta, that detour had me of all places Cabbage town off Memorial drive in downtown Atlanta and of all times at 4:30am. I went through a couple of stop lights and saw the usual drug deals and HO's walking the street corners. Hears what happened next, I had to stop at the red light in front of the Baptist Memorial hopital when I noticed a black man at the corner to my left. It wasn't cold, but cool my window half down and when he saw me stop he decided to make his way to my truck (S10) and then as he got about 10 feet or so from me he reached behind his back to his waist band and I thought I better take action. I reached my holster and grabed my glock 30 and racked the chamber, at that instent he froze like a statue and I told him very slowly to remove his hands from his back and to my amazment he did and had a small caliber handgun in his right hand. I told him if he didn't get on the ground he was going to be rolled into Ga Baptist as a gunshot wound to the head, he complide and the APD was called. He was arrested with an illegal 25 caliber hand gun. The APD took my statement and asked if I could make it to work alright because I was shaking so bad I couldn't drive for a few minutes afterward. The officer told me if I was going to carry a gun that I needed to make sure there was a round in the chamber. I was 2 hours late for work but they understood, although I did get written up for having a gun on work property. Nothing else happened from work and the guy did get his parole revoked for another 10 years.
    My life lesson was to get rid of my glocks and buy 1911's so I would feel more comfortable carrying cocked and locked (it's just a personal prefference only).
    Like you I thank God I didn't have to shoot and take another life but just like John Wayne said in McKlintoc "I would have blown him to hell just like I would a white man".
    Take care,
    [-o< [-o< [-o<

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I guess the cops know the guy that came after you, but can't do much about it? I'm referring to the original post (juju).

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So you carried with an empty chamber, too? :?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh ok, I understand now. They knew who he was at that point. I thought he was a regular or something, at first... I wonder if things would have been different if you went to the cops first. I know it's after the fact, but I'm just curious.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This is why Glock is always ready to rock, and if I have PPK/S on me there's one in the chamber, and the safety on. I've been practicing disengaging the safety as part of my draw.

8. qre2457

qre2457 New Member

These kinds of stories are what really emphasize the need to talk to a lawyer before giving a statement to the police.

I am curious as to what would happen in a nonshooting incident like this if he would have declined to speak without talking to a lawyer first. Would you expect to be taken into custody?

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Welcome. Great post. It's good to read a real life example like that.

10. Foul

Foul New Member

Welcome!

Whatcha wanna bet that the bad guy today is now:

A) Someone's prison be-atch

or

B) Worm dirt

He sounds too stupid to still be alive and/or free.

11. juju151

juju151 New Member

Re: I had to draw down once.......

:roll:

12. Foul

Foul New Member

The Katrina bill HAS passed in my household.

You attempt to take my firearms, you get shot.

Pretty plain, simple and effective.

:twisted:

13. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Me tooo.

JuJu,
    I meant to welcome you in my post but got distracted, SO WELCOME to one of the best and most informative sites on the web.
    We have really old farts and I do mean they sifted the dirt for God to use to make Adam, and then you have those like myself that is getting old and then there are some really young (barely legal), but we cover the spectrum of opinions and some very good advice.
    I also beleive WE ALL have a good sense of HUMOR, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Take care,

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yep, this is the best forum, by far, that I've been a member of.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Welcome to the site Juju.

I'll never understand the concern over carrying a Glock with a chambered round. As long as you have it is a good holster it is not going to magically go off.