Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Had Dinner with the Governor Elect Last Night

1K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  redlevel42 
#1 ·
Well, not really, but he and what appeared to be an extended family group were dinning in the same Italian restaurant in Ellijay as my wife and I. We had gone from Dalton over to the cabin after work yesterday to see if I could bring my sedan home. We had left it at the cabin when electrical power went off Christmas evening. The road into the cabin was still a packed sheet of ice, so no go on bringing the car home.

Anyway, future Gov. Deal sure is a short, Napolean looking, smiling little SOB isn't he? Didn't get a chance to speak with him. Started once to follow him into the men's room to mention "Church carry" legislation that possibly will be hitting his desk this upcoming session, but the big ole "Judge" on my hip might have scared him, so I passed on the opportunity.

#6 ·
#12 ·
You guys need some reading comprehension skills. I said I didn't follow him into the restroom. Since he is GOP that would have been a rather risque move.

I've been trying to figure out who the guy who kind of resembled "Sonny" was that he stopped at another table to chat with and be introduced and I'm pretty sure it was none other than Ellijay's own Col. Poole. I didn't recgonize him because he wasn't dressed up as a clown last night.

#13 ·
I can read. I think I laughed at the part where you said you THOUGHT about following him into the bathroom. Its like the night sonny perdue ate at the worst chinese buffet in dawsonville. I stood up, gun on my side and said : ITS SONNY F'ing PERDUE!!!! :D now I said that to my wife, not the entire place. She said it wasn't I said it was. theres a picture of him at the front door because thats probably the only important person that has ever eatten there..

#14 ·
I've managed to meet four (counting the non-meeting last night) GA governors.

I met late Governor Maddox and his wife one Friday night in the Varsity downtown. We had been to the airport to pick up my father in law returning from Japan and had our week old daughter with us. They stopped to admire the baby. He passed not too long after that.

I met "Crazy as Hell" Zell at a sandwich shop in Hayesville, NC on the way home from picking up my motorcycle in Charlotte in 2008. We had stopped there for lunch and was eating outside on the front porch. He and his wife stopped on their way out to admire our two Papillons. I called him "Governor" and he got a great big smile on his face.

The best though was when my oldest son and I ran into former President Carter out in the middle of nowhere trout fishing. He was all by himself which I thought was odd. We saw him before he saw us and I told my son who was about 12 or 13 at the time to address him as "Mr. President", which he did. Ole' Jimmy sure lit up a big grin when he heard that. Neither of us had a pencil or pen for an autograph.

#18 ·
#19 ·
mb90535im said:
I've managed to meet four (counting the non-meeting last night) GA governors.

I met late Governor Maddox and his wife one Friday night in the Varsity downtown. We had been to the airport to pick up my father in law returning from Japan and had our week old daughter with us. They stopped to admire the baby. He passed not too long after that.

I met "Crazy as Hell" Zell at a sandwich shop in Hayesville, NC on the way home from picking up my motorcycle in Charlotte in 2008. We had stopped there for lunch and was eating outside on the front porch. He and his wife stopped on their way out to admire our two Papillons. I called him "Governor" and he got a great big smile on his face.

The best though was when my oldest son and I ran into former President Carter out in the middle of nowhere trout fishing. He was all by himself which I thought was odd. We saw him before he saw us and I told my son who was about 12 or 13 at the time to address him as "Mr. President", which he did. Ole' Jimmy sure lit up a big grin when he heard that. Neither of us had a pencil or pen for an autograph.
I only met one - Gov. Busbee many years ago. Sang for him at the governor's mansion. Not by myself though, had a lot of back up...high school chorale. :)

#20 ·
I met Sonny very briefly once at the FFA Gala at the Aquarium....I guess that was 3 years ago or so. They auctioned off a quail or turkey (can't remember which) with him and one w/ Lt. Gov. Cagle and the guys I was working for at the time won the one w/ Sonny. They didn't invite me.....not surprised. Say what you will about him but some politics aside, he seems like someone that would be fun to hang out with....Gov. Deal....for me, not so much.

I honestly am not sure I would recognize him....that's pretty sad.

I'd love to meet "Give 'em Hell Zell"....another one that I disagree w/ on a good bit probably but he's a bad ass Marine and you gotta respect that. :righton:

#23 ·
mb90535im said:
I spent allot of time at the carter center as a kid, and saw Carter on a couple of occasions, the coolest was when he let me and my little brother climb into his stretched limmo that was parked out front. Hes a real nice guy!( Ill save my comments on his politics for another day) I couldn't believe he had 2 TV's in there! It was awesome!! ohhh, the 80's...

#24 ·
I've met two. Perdue at church one Sunday. I rode the escalator up with him and his wife. I met Deal at a campaign function in Marietta back in July. Both were friendly and nice.

#25 ·
budone1967 said:
I've met two. Perdue at church one Sunday. I rode the escalator up with him and his wife. I met Deal at a campaign function in Marietta back in July. Both were friendly and nice.
:shock: your church has an escalator!? Ours didn't even have functioning heat on Christmas Eve :lol: (at least it didn't feel like it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.