H.R.8 - To require a Background Check for every Firearm Sale. (2019)

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tmoore912, Jan 9, 2019.

1. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

H.R.8 - To require a Background Check for every Firearm Sale. (2019)
    Sure to be plenty of discussion about this.

Introduced on the US House floor yesterday - No text of the bill has been published yet.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/8/text?q={"search":["HR8"]}&r=1&s=1

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC
    Democrats unveil a universal background check bill they hope to pass within the first 100 days of the new Congress. "Now is the time to come together, be responsible. Democrats, Republicans, everyone," former Rep. Gabby Giffords says. https://abcn.ws/2CWLbZI

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

How thoughtful to introduce the bill on the anniversary of Giffords' 2011 shooting. You know, the one where the shooter, Jared Loughner, passed his background check. Although it looks like he probably shouldn't have been able to (drugs). But he did pass! :righton:

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Front and center in the video of Giffords address is Rep. Lucy McBath, D-Georgia, Moms Demand Action Leader Shannon Watts.

4. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Add language that states that as long as buyer and seller show each other valid carry permits that the background check requirement is satisfied. Watch the Dems freak because this doesn't enable a registry.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

This is a great video - Fox News video Jan. 8th, 2019

Will Universal Background Checks, Red Flag Laws, and Assault Weapon Bans make American's safer?

DonT likes this.
  6. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I'm unclear as to how adding legislative burdens and personal burden to gun owners outweighs the lack of benefit (e.g. reduced violence). I guess the "do something" attitude is akin to the "all that matters is the accusation" attitude so prevalent in the Kavanaugh hearings.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This will pass the House easily. It is already "bipartisan," with 5 Republican and 4 Democrat cosponsors. It stands a halfway decent chance in the Senate, and I think it stands a decent chance of being signed by the President.

8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Should boost the business of gun dealers.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

tmoore912 and Malum Prohibitum like this.
  10. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Those politicians are truly evil. They hate liberty. They despise the idea of an armed citizenry. Criminals won't follow any law like this. It will only burden and endanger those who want to be safe from criminals. Just no.

11. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

My take is that this legislation is DESIGNED to fail !

This can only work if we have 100% gun registration - when this DOES fail, they will explain that it requires registration and move on legislation requiring that all firearms be registered.

The claim will be that the registration is not in violation of the constitution because it does not restrict the possession of firearms in any way. It is simply information collection and therefore not unconstitutional.

that's a lovely camel you have there Ms.Peolsi....

DonT likes this.
  12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It will not be necessary to move from this to registration. This is registration. If you are found to be in possession of a firearm and a trace does not show it being transferred to you by an FFL, that will create a rebuttable presumption that you obtained the firearm without a background check. Even though it is not by itself a system of registration, it is de facto registration.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

14. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I think the response to this legislation should be the same to voter ID legislation that liberals keep opposing: it places a cost burden on the poor, which disproportionately affects minorities. There would be a cost (with no cap mind you) for every firearm transfer - this includes two fees/transfers if you’re simply lending the gun to someone. Even sharing firearms at shooting ranges only applies to licensed gun ranges, which may not be affordable or readily available to the poor/minorities.

Sorry - we simply cannot allow lead that adversely affect minorities...

15. moe mensale

We common folk cannot be trusted like that by our betters. They must have the final say.

16. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I guess the devil will be in the details. Does that mean that someone who has had guns for years prior, from inheritance, gifts, and private purchases, must take those guns to an FFL to transfer the guns back to themselves?

17. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

3-D printers could get very popular, and more quickly advanced in technology.

TimBob likes this.
  18. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

This was in the context of Virginia, but coming to fruition, very rapidly.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If we have universal background checks, I don't see any way we can avoid having universal gun registration and correspondingly a ban on building your own firearms.

since gun owners (and delalers and manufacurers in the gun industry) love to exploit loopholes, we will soon need to have a ban on any tools, products, or software that are specifically intended for building your own firearm at home.

So say goodbye to 80% complete lowers.

I think the government could also, in order to close the do it yourself basement gun manufacturing loophole, start restricting certain key components of firearms as if they were firearms themselves.

And I don't just mean the frame ir receiver. I mean barrels, bolts, slides, and revolver cylinders. These are complicated hard-to-manufacture-yourself components, and they require a degree of engineering strength that I don't think a 3-D printed part would have.

20. moe mensale

Since this bill is effectively a universal registration scheme perhaps our hapless politicians should turn their eyes north and recall what happened with the ill-fated Canadian long gun registration program from some 20 years ago. It failed. It failed because of huge cost overruns. It failed because of inept government employees. It failed because it didn't help solve every crime like they expected. It failed because the bad guys forgot to register their guns. It failed because the citizens refused to register the vast majority of their guns. Does anybody think our government is any better at doing anything? Does anybody think our citizens are dumber than the Canadian citizens?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniel...gistering-long-guns-and-gave-up/#6ea757dd5a1b