H.R. 1897 - Carry in National Parks

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 7, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Extremely complicated legalese . . . "No Federal regulation shall restrict any individual from possessing or carrying a firearm if that restriction is based in whole or in part upon the fact that the individual is in a unit of the National Park System."
    :lol:

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Now if they will just pass it... :roll:

3. Malum Prohibitum

First we need some Georgia co-sponsors.

Paul Broun, maybe?

4. Malum Prohibitum

From VCDL Alert:

A few months ago pro-gun Congressman Ron Paul (TX-14) introduced a bill that would prohibit any regulation barring carry in National Parks!

The bill number is HR. 1897, the National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007.

--

ACTION ITEM

Currently there is only one cosponsor of the bill :-(

That cosponsor is none other than Virgil Goode, Jr. of Virginia (R-5)!

We need to get the word out so we can get a lot of cosponsors on this bill.

If your Congressman is Virgil Goode, contact him and thank him for signing on to HR. 1897.

If your Congressman is NOT Virgil Goode, then you can contact them by clicking here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Suggested message:

--

I urge you to cosponsor and help move Congressman Ron Paul's bill HR. 1897!

HR. 1897 will allow law-abiding gun owners to be able to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park.

The Department of the Interior has refused to seriously consider changing their current regulations to allow citizens the right to self-defense, even though crime is on the rise in National Parks.

Congress needs to act to protect the lives of innocent citizens.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

--

The wording of the bill can be seen by clicking here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1897:

National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 1897 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1897

To protect the second amendment rights of individuals to carry firearms in units of the National Park System, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 17, 2007

Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

A BILL

To protect the second amendment rights of individuals to carry firearms in units of the National Park System, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

Congress finds that--

(1) the second amendment to the Constitution provides that `the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed';

(2) section 2.4(a)(1) of title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, provides that `except as otherwise provided in this section and parts 7 (special regulations) and 13 (Alaska regulations), the following are prohibited: (i) Possessing a weapon, trap or net (ii) Carrying a weapon, trap or net (iii) Using a weapon, trap or net';

(3) the regulations described in paragraph (2) prevent individuals complying with Federal and State laws from exercising the second amendment rights of the individuals while at units of the National Park System;

(4) the existence of different laws relating to the transportation and possession of firearms at different units of the National Park System entraps law-abiding gun owners while at units of the National Park System; and

(5) the Federal laws should make it clear that the second amendment rights of an individual at a unit of the National Park System should not be infringed.

SEC. 3. FIREARMS IN UNITS OF THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM.

No Federal regulation shall restrict any individual from possessing or carrying a firearm if that restriction is based in whole or in part upon the fact that the individual is in a unit of the National Park System.

-------------------------------------------
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

5. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I will be making phone calls today and email everyone I can.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Everyone? :lol: You should probably start with your own representative, as contact from a consituent means more than somebody who has no vote in that district. Mention in the first line that you are a constituent.

7. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Emailed John Linder today. Thanks for the heads up

8. M249

M249 New Member

That's pretty much pointless with my <strike>asshat</strike> representative. David Scott has a 100% score from the Brady Bunch. Thank you, Georgia General Assembly for gerrymandering and putting me in this district.

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Man Pleads Guilty To Killing 2 In Ocala National Forest

POSTED: 10:56 am EDT July 30, 2007

OCALA, Fla. -- A Clearwater man pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of first-degree murder and received two consecutive life terms for killing two 26-year-old college students who were camping in Ocala National Forest.

Leo L. Boatman, 21, changed his plea to guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty, said State Attorney Brad King. The prosecutor said he made the plea offer based on the wishes of the families of Amber M. Peck and John L. Parker, the Santa Fe Community College students.

They had been camping at Hidden Pond in January 2006 when Boatman ambushed them with an AK-47 assault rifle.

"I can't offer an explanation because there is none," Boatman told Circuit Judge Willard Pope.

The parents of both victims told the judge they wanted Boatman to be sentenced to life in prison.

10. Malum Prohibitum

National Forests are not Off Limits by federal law.

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Ahh National Parks!!!

Serves me right for trying to do 2 things at once! So much for walking and chewing gum at the same time!!!

12. Ashe

Ashe New Member

To the Honorable Phil Gringrey,
    I have always been more than happy with your stand on our Second Amendment rights. As a consituent I urge you to cosponsor and help move Congressman Ron Paul's bill HR. 1897!

HR. 1897 will allow law-abiding gun owners to be able to carry a handgun for self-defense in a National Park.

The Department of the Interior has refused to seriously consider changing their current regulations to allow citizens the right to self-defense, even though crime is on the rise in National Parks.

Congress needs to act to protect the lives of innocent citizens, and restore our constitutional rights where and how it can.

Please let me know what you are going to do.

James

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Jim Marshal contacted.

14. merlock

merlock New Member

+1

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Got my response letter from Jim today.

"...given the current political climate, it's unlike that I'll ever have the opportunity to vote on this bill."

:(

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:bsflag:

17. Ashe

Ashe New Member

Tell him to Co-Sponsor this bill, it will show the people who vote for him that he is serious about our 2nd ammendment rights.
    The more Co-Sponsors the more likely the bill will be pushed forward.

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

That's what my original email to him requested.
    Now a question of those folks much more knowledgable than me before I write another letter & make myself look silly.

Once a bill is referred to a committee can co-sponsors still sign on?

19. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Gridlock in Congress, Things are getting ugly. I hope voters are paying attention (yeah, I know they aren't) :banghead:

20. M249

M249 New Member