GWL vs No GWL. Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun carry question

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Buckshot Barry, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry New Member

Sorry about the "GWL, PLR-16 vs. LE6920 questions" thread. I need to word my question better.

What are the legal carry options of the following types of firearms under the new Georgia Code? Both in a vehicle, public transportation, Parks (both State and Federal), and general carry.

GWL vs No GWL

Pistol with less than 12" bbl
    Pistol with more than 12" bbl
    Rifle with less than 18" bbl
    Rifle with more than 18" bbl
    Any shotgun
    AOW, SBR, Machine Gun

Thanks

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

buckshot Berry, your question is too broad for me to attempt to answer.
    Why all the variables? If you are a gun owner in Georgia and you ever leave your house with a gun, whether carrying it or just transporting it, you really should have a GWL.
    And are you asking about "public transportation" because you really want to carry an evil-looking black rifle or carbine on a MARTA bus?
    If it's not a serious question, you'll have a hard time getting serious answers.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's why I gave him codes to read.

Hopefully, he will read them and come back with more specific questions.

5. Buckshot Barry

GFL holder for the last 30 years. Yes, October 1980. It just seems the new Code has a ton of variables. If it wasn't for the pistol 12" and rifle 18" language it would make a lot more since. I would have thought that after 4 months someone would have put together some kind of matrix that easily reveals in plain English what kind of firearms can be carried loaded / unloaded, concealed / not concealed, and with or without a GFL.

6. livesounder

livesounder New Member

Sounds to me like, given your history, you're just the person to do it. I'm certain it will benefit many people when you post it here.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

7. Buckshot Barry

Sounds like a plan. I was all over the Code in the 1980's. I even remember when the self formed Techwood Homes bat patrols were busted
    during the missing and murdered children episode in the early 80's when the city held an impromptu meeting of the security patrol team
    and called it a public gathering.

link

It certainly looks like rifles with a barrel length of 16" to 17.99" and handguns with barrel lengths over 12" are not regulated under most
    of the new Code. I would not want to be a test case. I wonder if this was an oversight or intentional?

8. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

It was discussed many times after SB308 passed. And it does seem that firearms in over 12" and Under 18" are unregulated. You could walk down the street with one that falls in this gap and be perfectly legal, but as you said, I don't want to be the test case.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is nothing to test. You might be arrested illegally, but I don't really see what there is to test.

10. Billennium

Billennium Custom User Title

Ouch :shock:! Does this mean that (as an example) taking part to an OC rally with a very common gun like a Beretta CX4 (16.6") or a Colt LE6940 (16.1") could put you in (legal) troubles? Even if you have a GWL?

:help:

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Why would carrying something that is not regulated get you in legal troubles?

12. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

No, it's the opposite. Unregulated items are always legal, not always illegal.

13. Billennium

Billennium Custom User Title

You are correct. Sorry. Mine was really a stupid question.

(At this point I am tempted to ask an even more stupid question - does it mean I can enter a government building with a AR16-16"? - but I will refrain myself :D )

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yes. Nothing illegal about it.

However, expect to be told to leave. Expect not to be let through the metal detectors. Expect to to interrogated by the police, maybe even having guns pointed at you. Expect the police not to know you are legal. Expect that you might take a ride, but will probably beat the rap. Expect that if the media gets a hold of your story that the General Assembly will probably change the law next session by making this illegal (more restrictions are bad).

15. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Reviving this thread for a serious MARTA question, related to rallies at the capitol. This pertains to participants going to the capitol for the Feb. 8th 2d Amendment rally.

Can unlicensed carriers of long guns, any barrel length but let's say over 18", use MARTA without issue?

I know that those with a GWCL are okay. But there may be a few unlicensed people who will attempt to use MARTA. Can they? Should they try?

I'm advising the Facebook group for the rally, and I want to ensure I have the best advice possible, should I be asked about it. I don't think many unlicensed folks will attempt this, but a few might.

16. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

If you do not have a GWL, public transportation has its own code section that will get you in trouble. (16-12-127) It's a felony to get on a bus or train with a firearm without a GWL.

17. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Okay, thanks. So, any carrier of a long gun MUST have a GWCL, when using MARTA, according to that transportation statute. Thanks again.

18. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

What new code? Did I miss something? The relevant statutes have been in effect for over 2-1/2 years now.

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Buckshot Barry's comment and question about the "new" code section was from 2010.

This zombie thread has come back from the dead due to a new post about bringing long guns on MARTA.

20. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer