GWL Renwal

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by CRAIG4FSU, Aug 9, 2015.

1. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Member

I'm sure this has been beat to death and apologize a head of time.

I was under the impression that renewing a GWL now doesn't require finger printing AND the back ground check?I thought we were only required to complete the back ground check in GA?

A co-worker living in Bryan county tells me he was charged for both during a recent renewal.He assures me he wasn't expired.I've been digging around,but,can't find that specifically.I seem to remember reading it at the same time i read about HS60?

Thanks,

2. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

on renewals there no fingerprinting

cliffhanger likes this.

3. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

I assume he has the old style gfl? I remember reading some probate were requiring prints again if you had the old style. Don't think that's legal though

4. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Member

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

(c) Fingerprinting. Following completion of the application for a weapons carry license, the judge of the probate court shall require the applicant to proceed to an appropriate law enforcement agency in the county or to any vendor approved by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for fingerprint submission services with the completed application so that such agency or vendor can capture the fingerprints of the applicant. The law enforcement agency shall be entitled to a fee of $5.00 from the applicant for its services in connection with fingerprinting and processing of an application. Fingerprinting shall not be required for applicants seeking temporary renewal licenses or renewal licenses.

(d) Investigation of applicant; issuance of weapons carry license; renewal.

(1) For both weapons carry license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall within five business days following the receipt of the application or request direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court. Fingerprints shall be in such form and of such quality as prescribed by the Georgia Crime Information Center and under standards adopted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation may charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search.

(2) For both weapons carry license applications and requests for license renewals, the judge of the probate court shall within five business days following the receipt of the application or request also direct the law enforcement agency to conduct a background check using the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System and return an appropriate report to the probate judge.​

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  6. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

A girl I work with said that her probate court (Barrow County) told her she had to get fingerprinted for her renewal because she was renewing a GWL that was issued in another Georgia county. Should this matter?

7. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129 (2015)

§ 16-11-129. Weapons carry license; temporary renewal permit; mandamus; verification of license

An application shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the applicant has a weapons carry license or renewal license with 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license or 30 or fewer days since the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license regardless of the county of issuance of the applicant's expired or expiring weapons carry license or renewal license.

8. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

Thanks! I missed that part.

9. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

Actually, I think the 16-11-129 info is out of date on GPDO's site. I looked and could not find it in the text for 16-11-129 on GPDO, but the HandgunLaw site did have it.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

11. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

This is correct. The Weapons Related Ga Code is out of date on this site. Last update was 2012. Matt knows this and has been working to fix this, but it's not done yet.

Why would you not go to the GeorgiaCarry.Org website and click on the Weapons Related Georgia Code link there. It would be the best place. It's updated with all the newest related weapons code from 2014-2015.

12. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I did. I don't think it is current there either.

13. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Yup - They're is aware of it and has it on his "to-do" list

He was waiting for Lexis-Nexus to get caught up

14. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

GPDO has 2012 info from Lexis-Nexus.

GCO website has 2014 info from Lexis-Nexus.

Sorry about the bad information.

15. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

No worries!

16. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Member

It took approximately 9 weeks to receive my renewal license in Chatham county.

The probate told me they've been like this for a few years now. Swamped.

17. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I renewed in Chatham Co. July 2014 and had my license in under 3 weeks. When applying and told it may take a while I pointed out the law right then and that I would hold them to it.

18. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Member

Can you expound a little on the "law", please?