Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looked at my GWL and discovered I'm a dumbass. It expired 4 months ago. Im in Fulton County. Whats the process to renew or, do I have to begin the process all over again?

·
69,784 Posts
You have to start the process all over again even if it is not expired. The only difference is you are not eligible for a temporary license.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to start the process all over again even if it is not expired. The only difference is you are not eligible for a temporary license.
Not very happy bout this but my own darn fault! Im about to have that "naked in public" feeling for a long time!

·
69,784 Posts
Concealed . . . my life is worth more than government permission.

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,532 Posts
Failure to renew means higher fees; you'll have to be fingerprinted again.

Now as to Malum's and Archangel's advice to just carry illegally anyway, keep a few points in mind:

1-- if you get caught carrying in public during the weeks or months it takes to get re-licensed, it's a real crime.
Arrest, booking, publication of your mug shot, having to post bond.
In theory, you could be sentenced to a year in jail. Or weekends in jail. Or 120 hours of community service.
And probation to follow that.
Fines up to about $1400, with all costs and surcharges.

2-- if you get arrested before your new permit is issued to you, it can be revoked. You will be ineligible to get another for 5 years.

3-- if you carry illegally AGAIN during your 5 year suspension period, it's a more serious misdemeanor.
Bigger fines, more jail time, less credit for time served.

4-- if you carry (in your vehicle) without a permit and drive on airport property, school property, in a MARTA park-n-ride, etc, it's a FELONY crime.

5-- ever visit your Sheriff's office? Is the jail there too? Do you park within the "jail guard lines?"
No GWL = another potential felony there.

6-- If you get caught twice being a scofflaw as to gun control laws, you might become the test case over the Probate judge finding that you are not of "good moral character " and unfit for a license for that reason, regardless of whether your offenses themselves still disqualify you.

Bottom line: Saying, in effect, " Eff the government; I'll do what I want when I want, no permission needed" can have real consequences.

·
69,784 Posts
I know all that, but I have carried in Chicago and DC. I am a bad, bad man. :twisted:

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
4-- if you carry (in your vehicle) without a permit and drive on airport property, school property, in a MARTA park-n-ride, etc, it's a FELONY crime.
But he can carry in his vehicle - off body only - without a GWCL.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
But he can carry in his vehicle - off body only - without a GWCL.
While in his vehicle it can be on body carry even without a GWCL, but not on airport property, school property, in a MARTA park-n-ride.

There is nothing in the Code Section about on or off body carry inside a vehicle without a GWCL.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going Monday to the Fulton Annex. Gonna be a long, long month or two for me! I figure God got me through the last 4 months without repercussions. The next 2 are up to me!

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
But you do need a flogging for letting the date sneak past you.

Nemo

·
American
3,289 Posts
I know all that, but I have carried in Chicago and DC. I am a bad, bad man. :twisted:
I take it you have the "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" approach?

·
American
3,289 Posts
Going Monday to the Fulton Annex. Gonna be a long, long month or two for me! I figure God got me through the last 4 months without repercussions. The next 2 are up to me!
Remember you are dealing with Fulton County, not known for a) efficiency or b) being pro-2A. Document everything, keep the receipt, and monitor the timeline. Good luck. BTW, no one will be there Monday......:drink:

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Just remember on Tuesday: 10 days is all the Probate Judge has to issue the GWCL under normal circumstances. The NICS check comes back immediately from FBI and is timestamped. From that timestamp, the Probate Judge has 10 days.

It's ten days.

"Not later than ten days after the judge of the probate court receives the report from the law enforcement agency concerning the suitability of the applicant for a license, the judge of the probate court shall issue such applicant a license or renewal license to carry any weapon unless facts establishing ineligibility have been reported or unless the judge determines such applicant has not met all the qualifications, is not of good moral character, or has failed to comply with any of the requirements contained in this Code section. The judge of the probate court shall date stamp the report from the law enforcement agency to show the date on which the report was received by the judge of the probate court."

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129(d)(4)

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Oh look, an opportunity to hold Fulton County's feet to the fire. Document everything. Call for progress. Hold them to the individual timeline steps in the law. Maybe even contact JRM or another lawyer so they have a complaint ready to file the day after Fulton misses the deadline.

Do it right and this could be fun.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
While in his vehicle it can be on body carry even without a GWCL, but not on airport property, school property, in a MARTA park-n-ride.

There is nothing in the Code Section about on or off body carry inside a vehicle without a GWCL.
Thanks for clarifying that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts