GWL as occasional resident

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by RS14, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RS14

RS14 New Member

I'm currently a college student in California, and spend most of the summer with my parents in Georgia, where I vote and pay taxes. I'll be turning 21 this summer. Is Georgia (Dekalb, specifically) likely to issue a GWL under these circumstances, or am I a nonresident?

I could get a Florida permit, but I'm concerned about being considered a resident, and so that permit not being recognized.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Putting aside for a moment the unfortunately fact that educational requirements cause you
    to visit the mad house that is California....

If you vote in Georgia and pay taxes in Georgia I would guess that your driver's license
    has your official Georgia mailing address...

Sounds like a Georgia resident to me...

3. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

This makes sense to me.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/gflbg.php
    Welcome to GPDO!

4. RS14

RS14 New Member

I missed the line about the driver's license when I first read it. That's good to know. Thanks for the help and the welcome.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

whatever your residency is, (and it sounds like Georgia), be truthful and be consistent.
    It is a felony offense in Georgia to make false statements to any government agency regarding any matter relevant to your dealing with that agency.
    So if (and I say "if") you were to lie to the state about where you reside, you could get charged with a serious crime.
    (For what it's worth I think every state ought to allow people to claim multiple states as their residence, for almost all purposes, except voting. For voting, you just have to pick one. If you're not there at the time, vote by absentee ballot).

6. RS14

RS14 New Member

Thanks. I'm aware, and will take care to be both.

7. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Do you pay non-resident tuition in California?