GWL and Shockwave, any benefits?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Buckshot Barry, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry New Member

I got to fire a Mossberg 590 Shockwave today at knockdowns. What a hoot.

Are there any benefits to having my GWL and the Shockwave?

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm.

[​IMG]

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

As I recall, and I am SURE someone will correct me if I am wrong, the exemption for GWL carry is for long guns. Since the Shockwave is NOT a shotgun but a "firearm" I'm thinking that to carry it outside your home/place of business/auto you would need some sort of GWL or hunting license.

Buckshot Barry likes this.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If you have a gun in your car, there are places you are not allowed to drive or park, but you could, legally, if you had a GWL.
    This applies to certain off-limits locations or weapons restricted locations only.
    Because we all know the "general rule" says no carry permit is needed to carry / transport in your vehicle.
    But there are exceptions to every rule.

Adam5 and Buckshot Barry like this.
  4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Does it fall into the >12” category?

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Benefits? Yes, you are carrying a higher caliber firearm.

Nemo

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The barrel length of a Shockwave is just over 14". It is therefore not a handgun under GA law. The GWL is for carrying weapons (i.e., handguns and knives). Because the Shockwave is not a handgun, it is not a weapon. In general, therefore, a GWL is not needed to carry a Shockwave. But, as Gunsmoker points out, there are places/circumstances where having a GWL is necessary for firearms that are not weapons. For example, under 16-12-127, it is "hijacking" to have a firearm in a transportation "terminal" unless you have a GWL. A "terminal" includes the airport and parking lots, train and bus stations and parking lots and a reasonable distance around the bus stops. So it is a felony to have a Shockwave on a MARTA train, but not if you have a GWL. There are other places like that.

8. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry New Member

Thank you jrm. What I was looking for!

9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That also holds for the Remington 870 TAC-14. Should you decide to buy one I'd recommend keeping the box or at least the end flap that states the item is a "12 ga firearm" and not a "12 ga shotgun." It may prove useful when some overzealous gendarme thinks he caught you with an unregistered "sawed off shotgun."

[​IMG]

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I'm not saying not to follow Moe's advice, but I would point out that the state and local gendarmerie has no way of knowing or finding out if you device is registered to you. The ATF refuses to provide such information because it is confidential tax data (registered devices requiring payment of a tax).

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

This is true. I've never run into an ATF agent in 5 decades but a few locals. I'd rather not have to play "hide the salami" with any of them when a factory box can explain something away in seconds, hopefully. My Remington box is the only one I've ever kept of all the guns I've bought.