Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though of a few random questions today and thought I'd throw them out.
1) If a LEO see you carrying a weapon, can they/ do they ask you to furnish your GWL on the spot?
I always have mine, just wondering if they have out of the blue asked anyone on here.

2) Similarly, if you get pulled over while carrying, do you have to show the LEO your GWL?
I would anyway to be upfront, but is it required?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Dawg said:
1) If a LEO see you carrying a weapon, can they/ do they ask you to furnish your GWL on the spot?
I always have mine, just wondering if they have out of the blue asked anyone on here.

2) Similarly, if you get pulled over while carrying, do you have to show the LEO your GWL?
1) Yes and no. You're required to have on you, but you're not required to show it. Go figure.
2) No.

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
No GWL is needed in your car so you don't even have to have one in that situation, so no reason to have to show something that you aren't required to have.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
A LEO can ask you anything he wants. That does not mean you have to respond. Hence the term "Am I Free To Go?" :wink:

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Dawg said:
Usually with braclets attached.... :rotfl2:

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Match10 said:
Dawg said:
Usually with braclets attached.... :rotfl2:
Match10 isn't kidding................they will put you in braclets.

An epic thread viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30205

·
Registered
670 Posts
AIFTG is a good start to force the LEO to explicitly declare whether or not the encounter is consensual. If the LEO tells you that you are not free to go and makes it clear that he is ordering you to produce the GWL, you should. The LEO may have RAS and he has no requirement to explain the RAS to you at the time. If you refuse, you are gambling that he can't come up with RAS (possibly after the fact).

Even if the LEO can't come up with RAS (and he likely will figure something out between the incident and the court date), it is still possible for you to be convicted of obstruction, resisting arrest or similar charges. So long as the judge feels that the LEO was acting in "good faith", you can be convicted of obstruction or resisting even when the original charges or justification for the tier 2 stop are completely bogus. Many people have been convicted of obstruction or resisting when the original arrest/incident was for a nonexistent offense or the original arrest was invalid. It just depends on the judge's view on "good faith."

If the GWL is demanded after AIFTG, you have two choices: produce it and go after the department with ORA requests, etc. from the comfort of your home, or refuse and go to jail and prepare to spend $10K to fight the charges. Even if you win (which is not certain), the likelihood of you receiving a single penny from the police/municipality is extremely low. The likelihood is also near zero of your being bailed out of jail by the people on an internet forum that told you unequivocally that you never have to produce your GWL.

In summary, using AIFTG and letting the LEO know that he must have RAS to demand your GWL is fine. If he then demands it, comply and fight it after the fact.

G

·
Dawg said:

#1 - I would immediately produce my GWL\Permit\GFL\etc if requested by a LEO. In my opinion, why have it if you are not going to produce it? You can split legal hairs if you want. At the very least, it will cost you in time - because I guarantee the LEO is not going to just shrug his\her shoulders and let you be on your way.

#2 - Not unless in a state that requires to notify (GA is not) and not unless my firearm is visible. It is a personal choice here, but if you gamble by notifying, you could be in for a long day\night. Some LEOs know the law, some LEOs are cool regarding carrying by non-LEOs, some know the law and are bent on taking down every gun carrier, some are just plain ignorant of the law.

I have been stopped twice at check points and never once did I utter firearm licence or permit, nor did I tell them I had a firearm.

If I were asked if I was carrying or had any firearms in the vehicle when stopped or pulled over, I would obey the law and tell them.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I would advise you to talk to Legacy38 and/or SheriffOconee and let them explain. They are two of the smartest, WELL versed officers to ever walk this state and they will tell you the truth. Officers can ASK anything they want the same as any other citizen....until they DEMAND and refuse to let you leave it is completely consensual. Once they make the demand you simply produce the ID to avoid the bracelets while POLITELY asking exactly what their RAS is for the demand of ID. Then SHUT UP!!

Voice/video recorders are cheap and readily available. If the situation ever arises you could be glad you had it and USED it. :righton:

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
:popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would without a doubt supply my GWL if asked, and tmoore912 did post some crazy links to forum topics relating to this area! Unfortunately it almost seems that some LEO's are okay with civilians carrying and others are quite opposed/ possibly ignorant. I've got a ton of respect for LEO's and everything they do for us, wouldn't speak to one w/o using "sir" or "ma'am". I just really hope that if the situation arises where I do have to produce my GWL it's not a gamble on what kind of officer I'm with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts