GWL and Alcohol

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Paczowski123, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Paczowski123

Paczowski123 New Member

I have been talking to alot of my friends that carry with a GWL we have had debates on whether it is against the law to drink while carrying. Some feel it is not against the law and i do. Can anyone tell me what the law regarding drinking while carrying with a GWL? Is there a limit like drinking and driving or is it totally prohibited or is it not illegal but frowned upon i have heard all three whats the correct answer?

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

It is not against the law, though there have been officers in this forum who've said they would probably arrest if they saw someone consuming while carrying. the law is clear. It is legal, but LEO opinions of how they would handle it vary widely.

There are clear laws against discharging a weapon while inebriated,.......unless it's in defense. You could bet most attorneys would bring your blood alcohol into evidence.

3. Drewster

Drewster New Member

If someone had to defend their family in public from someone that was trying to harm them or take their life it isn't going to be an easy road after having to shoot a BG.
    Someone doesn't shoot to defend their family, talk to the cops take their gun and go home and have some pizza with an end to the story. There are going to be expenses in defending your actions even if only in civil court(I think most would agree this would happen most of the time).
    To think that this isn't going to be much more work to handle the same case while you have any amount of a BAC of any type, I feel that that person is WAY in the clouds.
    Law may not address this issue(or say it is 100% okay), my hope is that if I have to defend my family I can have a 0.00 BAC even if it is to only make sure that I am able to get on point and make correct and well placed shots in the time of an emerg.

(God I hope I never have to do take these actions and my gun never has to be fired to stay alive)

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Can you cite a case in which the person defending his life was ever charged?

5. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Also you are immune from civil prosecution in a self defense shooting.

6. Paczowski123

Paczowski123 New Member

thats what i though..i never usually carry if im going out for a night of drinking but did not know why it would be bad to carry if having casual drinks at dinner. I just had never heard anything about it where it was clearly stated.

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:righton: Good catch! SB-308 fixed that.

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Clicky my siggy.

9. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

:lol: Maybe spell-check the "resits" for him?

10. Drewster

Drewster New Member

Citing a case wasn't what I was trying to focus on, what i was trying to say is it will cost money, the chance of court at some point or another I feel is going to happen there is going to be a cost somewhere (hope that is never the case)

It just seems to me if you have the smell of a beer on your breath and there is a dead guy on the ground you are going to have much more work ahead of you than if you had none at all. Not a chance I would sign up to take.

As for this comment:
    Good catch! SB-308 :fixed that:

Glad to learn something new and I am very glad that I did.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Keep your mouth shut and contact your attorney a.s.a.p.

12. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

This would be similar to if you had a glass of wine with dinner and on your way home you were involved in a fatal accident, that was not your fault.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Why is that? Was the shoot justified or not? A beet or two does not make a difference on justification.

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Who decides what is justified?

15. 69953

69953 Guest

16. 69953

69953 Guest

So the options might be:

A. If you're going to drink, leave your gun at home because if you ever need to use it to protect yourself, you might face further legal troubles because you had been drinking. Better to be unarmed.

B. Stop drinking altogether, so there will never be a question of your capabilities if you ever need to defend yourself.

C. When you're going out for a drink, limit your intake. Carry your gun, because you're going out at night, and will probably have to park in a dark area and walk some distance, encountering groups of people (some rowdy), panhandlers and vagrants along the sidewalk.

All are valid choices, but are up to the INDIVIDUAL to choose, and shouldn't be legislated by the government.