Gwinnett sucks

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Warp, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Warp

Warp New Member

I won't even be able to apply. Their hours suck. As if the probate court only being open when people with regular jobs are, get this, WORKING wasn't hard enough, they only do fingerprints for the permits between 8-11:30am M-F. Here we have Friday off...but it was past 11:30 by the time I realized this.

Everything regarding guns and carrying was so, so, SO much easier in Indiana.

:roll:
    /rant

Also, a question. I have read everything and listened to the automated voice but I am not sure what I really need. If I have a copy of a current lease with my name on it (in the county), and a GA driver's license, and a passport...can I get a GFL? It says I have to have a utility bill from within the past 90 days. The bills are all in my fiance's name because she moved down first. GA Power authorized me on the account but will not put my name on the bill. Do I have to have a utility bill specifically?

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Sounds like they work "banker" hours out that way. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Just another example of your right being infringed in the state of Georgia.

As far as what you need, I am going to hand the ball off to MP or Gunstar because they know the regs much better than me. I would guess though that you would need to have your name one one of the bills as proof of residency. In Carroll County IIRC, I had to show DL and a utility bill.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Most places a drivers license is enough. However they have make sure you are a resident and it is up to them to decide in what form they accept. You will just have to get in touch with them and tell them what you have see what they will accept.

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Well, the GA DMV sees a bank statement, mortgage statement, student loan statement as all valid "proof of residency." A cell phone might be considered a "utility," too. They're probably just giving examples, whereas the rule is something like "provide a document proving residency."

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Hello fellow Hoosier. Looks as if you actually moved here as you stated a while back. I'm also from Indiana (SOUTH BEND), so I feel your pain. If you think GETTING your permit is hard, wait until you really look at where you CAN AND CAN'T CARRY! It's night and day, I know. Just get it first I guess. then join the rest of us fighting it.

But GETTING your permit, yeah... it sucks. Gwinnett isn't THAT bad, compared to the rest of the metro area. I hate to say it, but if you want your permit as fast as possible, just go through the motions as they exist now. Once you apply, a little persistance goes a long way, but you have to apply first. You can fill out the app anytime during normal business hours it appears, but you can only get printed during a limited window. That's what I'm reading from your post.

You can prove your residency with a GA drivers license. They don't issue that without the other stuff you already listed. Bring your Social Security card as well if you have it. You don't NEED it, but it helps. If it's any consolation, here in DeKalb I can't really meet the hours for printing either so I took an extra long lunch to get and fill out the app and took a day off to do my prints (I also went to the range that day).

It's a real PITA, but if you want it fast you kinda have to be proactive. Just get your app in as soon as you can. From what I know and from what I've seen here, the squeaky wheel gets the grease in GA. It's a horrible, crazy way, but that's just the way it is. Just get your app in and get printed (Gwinnet is digital)... and get it started as soon as possible.

If you are fine waiting 6 months, go ahead and get printed and apply at your leisure. If you want it under 3 months, apply and get printed NOW and stop by the office on your off days to ask about it. While you are at it, join GCO :D

It's just not as easy as Indiana :( It is truly frustrating, but it's a good opportunity to help change things. Look at it in a bright light. At least the GA permit isn't PINK like Indiana :D

6. Warp

Warp New Member

Trust me. I fully realize how bad the carry laws are. Longest list of off limits places in the country. Just went two places that were off limits today...four this week. I don't think I've gone more than four off limits places in 1.5 years carrying in Indiana.

I wont' be here full time until May. Here visiting for Spring Break. I was going to get a GA driver's license (have name on the lease here) and apply for the GFL this week and continue to carry in IN...since IN doesn't require an IN license and I have a non resident from another state...and hopefully hvae the GFL by May. BUT because I waited until today (Friday) so my fiance and I could both get the DL and GFL, and didn't realize the printing was only 8-11:30am M-F, and I am going back to IN on Sunday...I will have to wait and get DL and GFL in May. It sucks. :(

Edit: Seriously....8-11:30 M-F. What kind of hours is that?

This state seems to do everything it possibly can to make the carry of a handgun so much of a PITA that nobody does it. Call themselves gun friendly, be shall issue, but not have anybody carry. Horrible hours, $29 fingerprinting fee (when printing for things other than a GFL is only $5), TONS of places off limits, including parking lots....bah!

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Warp, welcome to Georgia! :D

A drivers license ought to be sufficient. Do not provide your SSN or employment information when asked.

8. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Is it nessesary to get te prints done in the same County? Probate Court gives the applicant the fp card, where the prints are taken shouldn't matter. Or does it?

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Sounds like your visit to GA hasn't been a very happy one dealing with the GFL process here. Believe me we understand. Hang in there. We are trying to change the laws.

10. Malum Prohibitum

It matters.

11. Warp

Warp New Member

One more question: My fiance applied recently. She told me there was a question worded something along the lines of "are you a non immigrant". She, being a naturally born US citizen, put yes. The woman who took the app told her that if yhou were born in the US the correct answer is no.

This makes no sense to me. Is the woman correct?

Explain?

12. Malum Prohibitum

Illegal immigrants are barred by law from receiving a license after HB 1032 passed last year.

13. GeorgiaGlocker

MP, The answer doesn't seem to make sense to Warp's question. I see what he is asking.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

What am I missing. It's probably staring me right in the face.

15. Taler

Taler New Member

Q. Are you an immigrant.
    A. No, born in the U.S.A.

Q. Are you a non-immigrant?
    A. Yes, born in the U.S.A.

What am I missing?

16. Warp

Warp New Member

Exactly as I see it. However, she was told the correct answer was no.

I will tripe check this with her after she gets off work, only talked briefly on the phone...but how the correct answer is no is beyond my comprehension at this time.

17. Taler

Taler New Member

Government employee asking government created question on government created form?

Don't you understand?

18. Warp

Warp New Member

OKay, I verified with her.

Q: Are you a non immigrant or a non alien.

A: Correct answer if you are a citizen born in the US...is apparently NO.

:?:

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That makes absolutley no sense to me either.

20. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

:screwy: