Gwinnett Shiloh Middle School - Student Brought Gun Today

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Phil1979, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

A student brought in a gun to the school today. Don't know if it was loaded or if he was planning to use it. Fox 5 News will do the story (I assume, since they know about it), but no link yet.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

We have laws banning licensed-to-carry adults from bringing their peacefully carried firearms into schools. And we have gun-ban signs.

But NONE of that stopped a kid from bring a gun. I wonder why.

The Georgia General Assembly is doing a SORRY job of keeping children safe in schools. At the very least, there should be metal detectors.

At best, vetted citizens with a weapons licence need the ability to exercise their right of self-defense even on school property and in school buildings to keep people safe. There are not enough police to go around to protect everyone.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Ah, they're not obligated to protect anyone - just ask the Federal Courts.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They probably need to raise the age to buy a handgun to 21 and maybe institute a 3 day waiting period. Then this middle schooler would not have brought a handgun to school.

AtlPhilip and Phil1979 like this.
  5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Wow, you ought to run for office!

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The Columbine gang didn't purchase their guns legally. A girlfriend bought the shotguns and the rifle and the handguns were purchased through another friend.

Point being if someone wants to do harm they will find a way. Propane tanks may as well be banned since they also had about 100 IED's some of which were made from propane tanks.

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I tend to think that many of these "kid caught with gun" boils down to fear. Kid sees/hears about the shooting and knows that there is a pistol available to him/her. He/she thinks that they will be safer if they carry a gun to school. Puts said gun in backpack and then does a "show and tell" to a friend or friends who then rat out the kid. Just a thought.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yeah, he has the idea that at least he will be able to shoot back. Like those grown ups who have guns all the time.

Nemo

9. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Robyn Anderson. She was 18 and purchased the guns (except the TEC-DC9, which was also a private purchase). She wasn't charged with making a straw purchase as she purchased the firearms from a private (unlicensed) seller at a gun show. Media reports stated that, because the seller didn't have an FFL, Robyn's actions didn't constitute a straw purchase.

Oh - an add to that Robyn blamed the lack of background checks for her actions is selling the firearms to the Columbine shooters. She said if she knew that there would have been a background check, she would have thought twice about purchasing the three rifles for the shooter and wouldn't have done it.... (as per her testimony in front of the House Judiciary Committee).

10. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Both sellers were charged with something IIRC.

11. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Mark Manes was charged for selling the TEC-DC9 as it was illegal for the shooters to own a pistol at their age, so his act of selling it was illegal. I believe he struck a plea deal that kept him out of jail. I have never heard of charges filed against Robyn.

Edit: I looked it up and two people were charge - both males and both in relation to selling the pistol to the shooters. One own the firearm and was the seller while the other brokered the deal. They also settled a civil suit for $1M. Robyn was never charged and settled a civil suite for $300k.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018