Gwinnett Park

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Three women attacked in Norcross park

By KEN SUGIURA
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/19/06

Gwinnett County police are asking for public vigilance in the wake of three attempted robberies in Lucky Shoals Park in the Norcross area in the last month.

In the county's parks, "We haven't seen a pattern like this in awhile," said police spokesman Cpl. Darren Moloney. "Nothing jumps to memory."

According to Moloney, the three separate attacks, all on women, took place in the evening before dusk. The attacker walked up to the women, demanded their money and grabbed or attempted to grab their arms.

The would-be victims were able to fend off the attacks by either physically beating the would-be robber or screaming for help. None of the three was injured.

Investigators describe the offender as a Hispanic male, thin and approximately 5-foot-10.

Police ask park users to be observant, to carry a cell phone, to travel in groups and to either not wear earphones or listen at a low volume. Anyone noticing suspicious activity or people is asked to contact park officials or the police department.

"[People] need to be aware of it until it stops or we capture [the offender]," Moloney said.

The police's parks unit and its West precinct will patrol the 68-acre park more frequently.

"We're not advising anyone not to go to the park," Moloney said.

Lucky Shoals off Britt Road is home to several ballfields, wooded areas surrounding the fields, a playground and a hilly asphalt path that winds up and down through the park. The 1.14-mile loop is not very secluded at any point. In the afternoons, the trail is busy with walkers, runners and cyclists, said Cathy Nieto of Norcross, who was walking the trail early Tuesday afternoon.

"I try to be safe with these," Nieto said, brandishing her three-pound dumbbells. "You never know, though. I'll try to be more careful now."

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I have been trying to find any info on the gwinnett parks. I live near Suwanee and my fiance loves to walk on that trail and this one. I read all signs on the trails and nothing mentions CCW or firearms in general

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member