Gwinnett inappropriate request

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Gunstar1, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

This was posted over at packing.org here:
    http://www.packing.org/community/general/listview/13048

Hey Bugman, did they ask you for this info when you applied?

2. jwd

jwd New Member

Yes, this was me.

From my PDO post:

I really hated to comply with this illegal requirement, but I lack the resources to fight this in court.

I initially tried to submit the application with the SSN and employer info fields blank. The clerk then stated that the SSN is required. I then politely told her that the SSN was not required by state law. She then told me that she would not accept the application. I told her again that it was not requred by state law. Then she placed the application on the counter in front of me, told me again (more rudely this time) that the application would not be accepted without it and indicated that that would be the end of our transaction unless I complied. I then reluctantly complied, with protest. She then stated that it had to be on both pages (second page is a release for a background check and statement that you are not a domestic abuser), to which I also complied, again with protest.

The clerk then noticed that I left the employer field blank and asked me if I was employed, and told me that that was also required. I will not comment on my answer.

Addidtionally, I believe the clerk photocopied both my old CCW license and my driver's license (she took them both into the back, but I could not see what she did with them other than I know she typed up a temporary renewal and attached it to my current CCW. I can only speculate that a photocopy was made, as I can see no other reason to take my DL to the rear office.

It seems that nobody has heard of the "employer" requirement in Gwinnett county before. It is possible that these are new forms, as the instruction sheet does state that the firearms license no longer qualifies for NICS check, which is a relatively recent development.

As previously stated in the PDO forum, I applied for my initial license in Carroll county in 2001, and did not have to disclose an SSN or employer at that time. That was, however, five years ago.

jwd

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If it is on the form then I may need to have a chat with the people who make them.
    http://dps.georgia.gov/02/dps/home/0,22 ... 00,00.html

DPS may be adding stuff for the fun of it and the court clerks think that if it is on the form then it must be answered.

This is a state form, if it is on the form you must fill it out, completely. :roll:

4. jwd

jwd New Member

I think the form was county, not DPS.

I don't know for a fact, but I believe the form was Gwinnett county, not a DPS provided form. The form was VERY different than the one I filled out in Carroll county (again, that was some time ago).

I do clearly recall that the probate judge's name was on one page of the form, but I believe it was only the second page with the release for a background check and statement concerning domestic violence. However, I am not absolutely sure that it was not on the first page of the form also.

It may be some time before I can get to Lawrenceville again, but when I do I'll pick up a copy of the form.

jwd

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Did you ask to speak with the clerk's supervisor?

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Gwinnett and SSN

I recently reported a crime to the Gwinnett Police Department and they wanted my date of birth and SSN to put on the incident report. I would not give it-- I told them my name and address, my age in whole years, but would not give them that personally-identifiable information that could be used to facilitate identity theft and fraud against me, knowing that they would put that info into a report that would soon be a public record.

Apparently they have a policy that says anybody they deal with in any official capacity has to give enough information to the officers to run a criminal history check on them, and they consider a SSN to be a prerequiste to doing a background check.

At first they told me that I "HAD TO" give them my SSN and DOB, up until I told the desk clerk "And what if I don't? Then what?" He mumbled something about "can't take the report without it" at which point I directed him to a STATE STATUTE madating that his agency take reports from citizens reporting crimes in their jurisdiction, and I demanded to know if HE had any source or authority to cite for his demand of my SSN. He had none, and agreed that it was really just a "policy."

Well, my state law trumped his office policy. They took the report without my SSN.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I was thinking of contacting DPS and asking them for a current copy.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In the next week or 2 I am going to the tag office, which shares the same parking lot with the building the probate court is in. I will also see if I can get a blank form.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks, I would appreciate that very much.

Does your county use the state-supplied form?

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am pretty sure they do. They followed the law on everything else.

12. Malum Prohibitum

It might help to ask that when you pick it up, if it is not obvious on the form that the state created and supplied it.

:wink: