Gwinnett Dog Attack Ended by Armed Citizen

Discussion in 'In the News' started by gunsmoker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I saw an article in the Gwinnett News today. I didn't cut it out or make notes from it, so I'm lacking details, but here's the gist of it:

Man is walking in front of his own house at 7 a.m. in a residential neighborhood. Nearby there is a house with pit bulldogs that run in a pack around the neighborhood, but apparently none of them have ever attacked a person before. This day, the dogs attack the man. He goes down (and he's a big guy, not a skinny little weakling). The dogs are just about ready to finish him off when his neighbor comes out with a big stick and joins the fight. He breaks the stick over one of the dogs' heads, but they don't stop the attack. The dogs are still trying to kill the victim, but they are not as susccessful now that a 2nd man has joined the fight.

Then a third man shows up. It's the adult son of the second man. He has a different kind of stick with him--- one with a skinny .410 barrel on one end and a wooden stock on the other. He uses that stick to clobber one of the dogs with a load of birdshot, mortally wounding that creature. The other two dogs immediately retreat. They are later captured, and scheduled for lethal injection sometime today or tomorrow.

The article mentioned that no criminal charges are expected to be brought against the young man with the shotgun. WELL NO SH!% !!!
    I think both the older guy and his son ought to get some kind of award from the city or county-- and a gift certificate from a sporting goods store where he can buy another box of .410 shells.

P.S. The article described the weapon as a .410 bore shotgun. Not .410 gauge, which is the more common but inaccurate term. So the author either knew something about guns or copied the data from someone who did.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would vote for any politician that was for a complete Pitbull genocide.

Wipe their genes from the Earth, I say!

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Article

I think this is the article to which you are referring. It was in Carl (western Barrow County).

Article 2

Same story, different paper.

4. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Eh.

It's how they're raised, man - not the breed.

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The never ending battle..."its how they're raised"..."its genetic"..."its how they're raised"..."its genetic".

I'm absolutely sure we've have this discussion multiple times.

I'm just glad the guys son had the 410, it could have ended much worse otherwise.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

people always say that until it attacks their kids or someone else's kids. Then it's "oh man...it's all genetics! I didn't raise a killer dog!"

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

I am a passionate dog lover. I have even rescued a number of greyhounds (they make wonderful pets, BTW.)

That being said, one of the reasons I carry is protection against loose aggressive dogs.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Good point. When I take my dog out for last call before bed I usually tuck my G26 in my pocket. I keep it handy for both people and animals. I have seen both at times, neither of which really belonged in that setting. We live in a small neighborhood (less than 20 homes, only half built yet) and because of the location and the quiet, secluded setting, we often get folks hanging around. We have had one fugitive on the loose, many pot smokers, and a few lovers in the year and a half we have lived there. You just never know.

10. tace

tace New Member

While how you raise them has a lot to do with it, consider the following.

I have had multiple puppies over time that were mixes of working dogs. These puppies were brought up in a home from 7 weeks old, without any other animal like them around to copy behaviour from. I have observed these puppies demonstrate their breed characteristic job actions even though they have never seen any other dog do it, nor were they thought to.

Example, terrier puppy sees a moving animal in the backyard (a cat), runs, trips the animal and detains it for the owner to come get it.

I have seen similar actions from an Australian shepherd mix and a Chow mix.

So, clearly genetics is involved in somehow transmitting the dogs some behavior patterns that are not always learned.

11. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

It's just the nature of the species... it's innate to all dogs... most folks look at our dachshunds and remark, "oh look at the silly weiner dogs!" If they knew what this breed could with animals the size of badgers or rabbits, they'd think twice about letting their small children (under 5) so casually play with them. Not that our dogs are violent, but we never let them play with small children because the downside potential is just too great. Cats are much better animals. They're very much analogous to the guy that carries a handgun not because he's looking for a fight, but because he really likes to be left alone.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Grabbing other animals by the tail and guiding them around? I had an Australian Shepard as a teenager. The other dog stood it pretty well, but the cat kind of freaked out.

We had no idea what this dog was doing until we picked up a book on the breed.

13. tace

tace New Member

The Ausie was doing the full on herding where he would get in a position watching over "the herd" and if one were to "stray" would run over and herd it to the rest of the group either by bumping or by grabbing the ear and pulling towards "the herd". It didn't help that the other parent was a cattle herding breed, either.

14. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Four times in my life I have been threatened by a dog. Three of those times they were pit bulls and I had done nothing to deserve the dog's aggression. The other time was my father-in-law's german sheperd and to be honest I was cussing at him pretty loudly and had chased him into the back part of the house because he had just finished eating the steak I had layed out for my dinner.

I don't care for pit bulls. I know some people have them and proclaim over and over that their animal is as gentle as a lamb, but as a group they are a dangerous breed. I think they should all be destroyed.

15. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

How can one be a defender of human rights yet advocate the genocide of an entire breed of dogs?

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Easy dogs are not human beings. They are animals that are programmed by instinct and breeding, and secondarily by upbringing.

Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. I just don't care for a breed of dog that is prone to violent behavior without any outside stimuli.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That statement is borderline comical, but I'll respond to it anyways.

human == rights
    animals != rights

If we treated animals like people and afforded all the rights to them that we enjoy then they would also be subject to our laws.

Thus:
    no more peeing/pooping in public
    no humping in public
    they gotta cover their genitals
    etc

If they did the above then they could go to jail. Are we going to put animals in jail for urinating/defecating in public? for screwing other animals in public? for not wearing clothes?

Must I go on?

EDIT:

I agree.

18. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

and let um pay puppy support

my last dog was a chihuahua mix, he was my best friend but i didn't trust him around small children as they tend to be a vicious breed as well, he would've attacked the pit bull without hesitation.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I was almost attacked by a group of dogs. I was in an undisclosed European nation walking back to where I was staying at night. I had to walk backwards so that I could scare them off, they kept following be. The were viscious and I just knew I was going to be bitten. I finally made it back, nothing bad happened.

Of course I was not armed being that I was in Europe. At the time I was too young to carry even here and even if I could have I would probably not have been able to because I ate that night at what would have been a PG if in GA.

20. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I mentioned the three different situations I faced with pit bulls. The scariest of the three was when I faced a female pit bull while my wife and I were out walking with our dog, who was a puppy at the time. The pit bull literally came from out of nowhere and was extremely aggressive, snapping at my puppy until I could drag him behind me and then advancing on my wife who was waving her arms and yelling at the dog. I pulled my wife behind me and transfered the leash to her and prepared to have a hand to hand fight with a friggin pit bull as I stupidly had left the house without a sidearm. Luckily for me I guess I was aggressive enough towards her that she decided not to attack and began backing away from me and my wife.

I hate pit bulls.