Gwinnett County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by csdevane, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. csdevane

csdevane New Member

I applied on Feb. 22. Spoke to the GBI today and they said they sent my history (non-existent) back to the Gwinnett PD on Feb 23. Called the probate court just now and spoke to a very helpful lady named Sherry. She pulled my file after I told her I spoke to the GBI and knew what date they sent my stuff back. She says she is currently working on January 7th applications and to give her at least another 30 days. She says the only thing on my application they have left to do is run my NICS check which is pretty much instant so I am hoping that since she already has my file in her hands and that she knows that is all that is left then she will go on and run it and push it through. She told me to call back if I don't see it in the next 30 days. I will try to keep everyone informed about the current Gwinnett timelines.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Guess they cannot blame it on GCIC, huh? :D

Sigh. :|

What is so hard to understand about what the law mandates that the probate court do?

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(2).

Does that say that the probate court is supposed to run a NICS check or that they are to direct the Gwinnett P.D. to run it?

There is no authority in the licenseing law for the probate court to run anything. Are they "the law enforcement agency," as that term is used in 129(d)(1), (2), and (4)?

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm trying to understand why the FBI/GBI check was not good enough...

4. csdevane

csdevane New Member

You would think that the FBI/GBI background checks and fingerprint runs would be that much more thorough than a NICS check.

5. Malum Prohibitum

That's why.

6. Malum Prohibitum

No, the NICS check is more thorough. Common misconception.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

True, NICS combines multiple databases including NCIC data.

8. Malum Prohibitum

My personal opinion is that one should be issued the license based on the NICS check and a picture i.d. This would satisfy the federal NICS exemption.

It would also mean that firearms could be issued same day, with an occasional holdup of three days or so.

All the other checks add is fingerprinting. As explained here, fingerprinting has nothing to do with the NICS exemption, and, as anybody who has ever purchased a gun knows, picture i.d. and a NICS check is all that is required. If you have a firearms license, then the NICS check is not required because it was already done when you applied for the license.

The FBI and GBI checks are completely unnecessary and redundant.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well I can think of 2 reasons why you should have a fingerprint check.

If you killed someone but were never caught, your fingerprints would be in AFIS as unknown. If you applied for a GFL they would find out it was you. But then again if you were never caught, you could pass a NICS check and just buy a gun from a dealer.

Ok, so that is not very realistic... Well I can think of 1 reason why you should have a fingerprint check.

If you are a on the run or a felon that could not pass NICS under your own name so you get a new license from a new state issued in a fake name. A fingerprint check would confirm who you really are. But then again how many felons can or would successfully get a real ID in a new name when it is far easier to just carry a gun they stole without a GFL.

Ok, so that is not very realistic either... Give me some time, I might be able to come up with a reason why you should have a fingerprint check.

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

From the looks of it in Georgia it is so some courts can delay issuing you a GFL. Print cards v livescan/digital :?

11. Warp

Warp Member

My fiance's check (to the court) was already cashed... Does that mean anything? Do they cash the check even if you may not get the license for another couple months?

I currently hold two licenses to carry from other states. One took 13 days, the other (a non resident) took less than 3 weeks.

It's a shame that isn't the case everywhere. Geez

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They keep your money regardless of the outcome.

13. Warp

Warp Member

And there is no corelation between cashing the check and the lenth of time remaining until there is an outcome?

14. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

My checked cleared the bank the next morning, means nothing.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Was it Livescan or ink in Gwinnett?

16. Warp

Warp Member

Prints were electronic...if Livescan is what the process is called that's what it was.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Then it ought to be less than 30 days.

18. Sharky

Sharky New Member

It was just over 30 for mine in Gwinnett with electronic prints.

19. csdevane

csdevane New Member

Mine were done with livescan. That is why I called GCIC and they returned it the next day to the court. The court is the one that is backlogged or so they say.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It's not often you find a court that admits it is the one not doing their job properly.