Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Gwinnett County Very Quick Turnaround

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Malum Prohibitum 
#1 ·
I was asked to post this by someone at packing.org...

I went in on the 16th of November to apply for my license. I was a little annoyed that I would have to go to 2 different buildings to get everything taken care of, but I guess it's not that unusual from other posts I have read. I was told it would be about two months, so I wasn't expecting anything until the new year. Much to my surprise it showed up in the mail on Saturday. So by my count that's 9 business days! Very pleasant surprise.

I had a previous License, but it had been expired for 7 years, and was a different county. I don't think this had any bearing on the turnaround time. I would say the electronic fingerprinting was the biggest factor.

#5 ·
Digital or inked prints?

Bugs,

Just wondering if they used digital or ink for your fingerprints. I applied in DeKalb (we live about 1 mile from the Gwinnett line), two months ago and was told at the DeKalb PD that it would be 6 months because the digital machine was broken.

Thanks!!

BB

#7 ·
My apologies for not posting much when I first registered. I was on PDO for a while, but a bit more informative to speak to fellow Georgians.

Yes mine came within a month. It was early in the year and no lines at all. Electonic finger prints and it was here. My boss just received him from gwinnett this week. He applied for his beginning of December! With the holidays his came just over a month.

Not bad at all........ now to help him find a weapon of choice!

#9 ·
Tick, tock, tick, tock

...still waiting. I did send a follow-up e-mail to them in December and got a response that it's "pending" and takes 6 months for initial apps. I check the mail everyday with aniticipation, but you know what the deal is with a watched pot.

I should probably stay on top of them more, but I'm a little concerned they may react with retribution and continue to sit on it.

I did do "wet" prints instead of digital as the scanning machine was broken when I was there, and I'm starting to wish I'd gone back when the machine was fixed. I didn't because (1) I strongly suspected the the clerk at DeKalb PD just didn't want to deal with the ink as was BS'ing me that it would turn an 8 week turnaround into 6 months, and (2) it was VERY inconvenient to go down there the first time, let alone a second...especially when she was very nebulous about when the machine would be working again.

As luck would have it, I have drawn jury duty the first week of next month. Since it's in the same building, I might just drop by.

Two questions for those wiser than me:

(1) When I filled out the application and had my thumb print done for the license itself, the form was already dated as issued for something like Dec. 4. The clerk told me to ignore that. Does anyone know if that will be the actual "issue" date? I'm gonna be more than a little PO'd if I paid for a 5 year license but have to renew it in 4 1/2.

(2) What exactly does the background check involve? Unless you count my two speeding tickets, there is absolutely NOTHING there. I just wondering if the FBI and GBI are planning to check my prints against every print taken froma crime scene for the last bazillion years. Unless they're doing that it would seem like license issue should be much faster than 60 days...something like 15 minutes.

Stay safe,

BB

#13 ·
But, but, the other counties say there is a backlog at the GBI, err I meant the FBI, err no wait I think the post office is testing a new delivery sytem using real snails or was it turtles... :roll:

Thanks for the info Janus, Forsyth has been updated.

#14 ·
Re: 8 Business days in Forsyth

Janus said:
11/3/06 to 11/15/06. Postmarked on the 8th business day.

This was faster than in New Hampshire.

They are required to issue with in 2 weeks by law.
:shock:

Forsyth County repealed their gun ban in parks, and they issue withing 8 days? Maybe I should move? :D

They are, however, on the rather long list of probate courts refusing to issue temporary licenses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.