Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied for my first carry permit yesterday and at the fingerprint office I received a slip of paper that says Temporary Permit/Receipt. At the bottom where someone signed it says that "This temporary permit is invalid after 30 day or upon notification of denial."

Does that mean I can carry until the actual permit comes in the mail?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Sounds like you may carry for 30 days or upon notification of denial. Make sure to keep the Temporary Permit/Receipt with you the same as you would if it were the License.

If the 30 days passes before you get your permit I'd stop by the Probates office and try to get another Temporary Permit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
what the hell? Never heard of that. Wish Cobb gave temporary permits... I am waiting (day 16) for mine and it kills me a little each day when the mailbox is empty! well.. it still has bills in it of course

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Hmmm.... I don't recall there being any type of "provisional" license prior to
receiving the actual GWL... :shock:

I wonder if this is Gwinnett's way of dealing with a temporary license pending RENEWAL !

Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnteresting.....

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Temporary Renewal License

Any person who holds a license under this Code section to carry a pistol or revolver may, at the time he applies for a renewal of the license, also apply for a temporary renewal license if less than 90 days remain before expiration of the license he then holds or if his previous license has expired within the last 30 days.
Unless the judge of the probate court knows or is made aware of any fact which would make the applicant ineligible for a five-year renewal license, the judge shall at the time of application issue a temporary renewal license to the applicant.
Such a temporary renewal license shall be in the form of a paper receipt indicating the date on which the court received the renewal application and shall show the name, address, sex, age, and race of the applicant and that the temporary renewal license expires 90 days from the date of issue.
During its period of validity the temporary renewal permit, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license, shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license.
A $1.00 fee shall be charged by the probate court for issuance of a temporary renewal license.
For those that have to renew in the next few months in a county known for delays, it would probably be a good idea to get a temporary renewal when you apply.

NOTICE: Many probate courts think that the recent change in law means that they no longer have to issue a temporary renewal license. This is incorrect. If you are going to renew your permit and will need a temporary renewal permit, you should print out and carry with you HB 1032 (which says that it effects only subsections a through d) and Georgia Code 16-11-129 and show them subsection i that was not altered by HB 1032. For more information read the Temporary Renewal License denials topic in the forum.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/gflrenew.php

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I don't think you are supposed to get one of those when you apply the first time, only when you renew.

I don't know if it would be legal to carry on that but you probably could get away with it with the paper you've got in hand even though I suspect its probably illegal. IF you decide to go ahead and carry I'd deeply conceal (certainly no open carry) until I got my regular GWL.

YMMV. IANAL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem pretty clear that it is meant for renewals and not new permits. I'll call the office today and confirm. I can certainly hold off for the next few weeks while I wait for the permit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just gave them a call...

They said it is not a temporary permit and they are trying to get the language removed from the receipt they give people. Not sure why it is so hard to get removed from the receipt but apparently it involves a lot of work...govt efficiency :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts