1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
The Gwinnett County code basically sort of redefined "weapon" to exclude firearms.

ARTICLE II. - USE OF RECREATION FACILITIES
Sec. 78-32. - Weapons prohibited.
(b)It shall be unlawful for any person to take on a recreational facility any weapon, or to use, carry or employ any weapon or similar device in a recreational facility. This subsection (b) shall not apply to firearms as defined by O.C.G.A. § 16-11-171(3).
viewtopic.php?p=594914#p594914

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, this is nothing less than government corruption! Gwinnett County knows full well that the average citizen would assume that firearms would be included, if a sign stated "all weapons prohibited".

Anyway, when I saw that sign at the park, I was OC'ing in an OWB holster. :)

What about knives? I know that in Gwinnett, you can conceal a knife if the blade is 3" or less, but does the general county ordinance have preeminence, or does the park ordinance apply, so that even those knives are banned in the county parks?

Finally, when weather permits, I will try to be at Yellow River Park most Saturdays riding my bike while OC'ing. Anyone want to join me? They have several miles of dirt trails, and a one mile paved loop trail. Come on out and we'll ride together. It really is a great park.

Maybe we can arrange an OC picnic lunch there sometime. Please let me know if there is any interest.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Duluth municipal court still has a home made public gathering law sign on the courtroom door.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
As a taxpayer in Gwinnett, I'm in a dilemma about this.
Sure, it would be nice if the signs were more accurate with regard to the law and showed the exception for GFL (now "GWL") holders.

But on the other hand, changing the wording on signs is labor-intensive and therefore expensive for the County. I'd rather they just left the signs as-is but gave cops and park rangers and other public officials a briefing on what the law really says.

As for the public, well, they ought to know better than to believe anything the government tells them anyway !!!!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Pretty sure most of the parks in Gwinnett still have those signs, although I'm not 100% sure. I remember seeing them a while back at one part and then coming here to do the research....

·
Registered
308 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
gunsmoker said:
But on the other hand, changing the wording on signs is labor-intensive and therefore expensive for the County.
How much would it cost to just rip them down?
Is the weapons info the only thing on the signs or is it a line on the bigger "park rules" signs. They won't just rip the big ones down.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
RickN said:
CoffeeMate said:
gunsmoker said:
But on the other hand, changing the wording on signs is labor-intensive and therefore expensive for the County.
Is the weapons info the only thing on the signs or is it a line on the bigger "park rules" signs. They won't just rip the big ones down.
Its a single line on a much larger sign. Gwinnet County is not going to change the sign. They intentionally changed the ordinance to be deceptive. Why would they change the deceptive sign. They want it that way. :sly: They knew when we filed suit that they couldn't stop me(or anyone who bothers to read the ordinance) from carrying in the park, but they can confuse a lot of others into thinking they can't.
When politicians are deceptive it eventually comes around and bites them in the butt. I expect the same thing will happen in this case eventually. I can see the County paying out a settlement after a lawsuit when one of their officers doesn't read the ordinance either.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/category/action-items/gwinnett-county-issues/

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
I know that SB308 changed the laws about schools, but what if a portion of the park is within the previous 1000 foot "circle of love"? Can ya still carry there?

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Yellow River Park has a least one sign I recently observed that states "All Weapons Prohibited".

Also, http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/static/de ... 0Guide.pdf states that weapons are prohibited.
I tried to do something about it least year: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=49556&start=0

Basically they said that the law only says they have to allow guns in the park, and since the law does not mandate that the county have accurate signs, so they can be deceptive if they want to.

It's even wrong on the web page. They tried to blow it off as "changing the signs cost money". I responded that the web page costs essentially nothing to change. They didn't want to fix that either.

ETA: Although looking at their web page now, it appears they did at least fix the web page.

Gwinnett Park Web Page: http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...izenInterest/ParkOrdinancesandRules/ParkRules

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
RickN said:
CoffeeMate said:
gunsmoker said:
Okay but how much would it cost them if someone else happened to rip them down?

:groupprotest:

...you know, for free?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Someone posted a picture of a sign where it appeared that colored tape was applied over the offending words.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I asked that more than two years ago. :lol:

But seriously, thanks anyway for the reply. And I am thankful for SB432. :righton:

GAGunOwner said:
Phil1979 said:
What about knives? I know that in Gwinnett, you can conceal a knife if the blade is 3" or less, but does the general county ordinance have preeminence, or does the park ordinance apply, so that even those knives are banned in the county parks?
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=136

1 - 17 of 17 Posts