Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was traveling down Highway 29/Lawrenceville Highway, 45 speed limit and I was rolling at 58. Yep, got pulled over. Night time, pulled over in a safe area, turned on the inside lights, took the keys out of the ignition and had my hands on the wheel. The officer informed me why he was pulling me over and asked to see my license. I informed him that my wallet is in my left rear pocket but that I had a sidearm on my right side. He chuckled and said if I was going to be a problem we'd already be shooting. Gave him my license and he returned a couple of minutes later. The officer told me to slow it down and he was not going to give me a ticket and that he appreciated my cooperation. I thanked him and asked him to have a safe evening. Went home (at the speed limit) and am very happy with my encounter.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,694 Posts
Good encounter, handled well.

I have taken to the habit of removing my wallet when hitting the road, and putting it in the dashboard cubbie hole. No more reaching to either hip for the wallet, so no moving near a gun on my hip either.

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts

I have taken to the habit of removing my wallet when hitting the road, and putting it in the dashboard cubbie hole. No more reaching to either hip for the wallet, so no moving near a gun on my hip either.
Great minds think a like. I do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Good idea, and I won't disagree with it, but part of me can't help but wonder if the OP had done that, never mentioned a gun, if he would have received a ticket.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Good idea, and I won't disagree with it, but part of me can't help but wonder if the OP had done that, never mentioned a gun, if he would have received a ticket.
I wondered the same thing, after I rolled away from a very similar encounter with a Cobb County cop, as a result of me doing 63 in a 45 zone. He saw my GWL behind my driver license, asked me if I was carrying, and I told him yes, and where it was. I was courteous, respectful, and didn't do anything to raise his hackles.

Oh, and I got a verbal warning; not even a written one.

·
5,694 Posts
Well, you may run into the good cop who is into guns and knows the laws. Or, you might run into the cop who dislikes guns on civilians, he doesn't know the laws or he doesn't care what the laws say, and who will make your traffic stop less pleasant.

I would prefer to hedge my bets and just not talk a lot or reveal a lot, beyond what is required for the traffic stop. And oh by the way, I am always polite and courteous to police officers. But you have to take your chances if you want to reveal that you are armed, and what the reaction may be.

No kidding, I got the following email today from a friend, about just this kind of thing:

hey Don i had question about a traffic stop in ......... where an officer in an agitated state reached in my car and personally took my firearm out of my holster without my permission. even after i informed him out of courtesy that i had a firearm on me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
^^ I am of the same mindset. I would never just volunteer to tell a cop in GA, unless I know he/she is about to discover it. Like once, when I got a "Terry Frisk". I'm sure that cop appreciated not being surprised. But you never know, in a purely verbal interaction, if the cop likes or dislikes regular folks carrying guns. And until then, it's none of their business if I am, until it becomes or might become an issue.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I've found most of the time if they stop you for under 15 over PSL outside of a school/work zone they're generally looking for other infractions more so than ticketing you for just the speeding. I also never inform in GA unless I was asked to step out of a vehicle which has yet to happen. My last stop I told the officer I was on my way to the range and he did give me a break. :)

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
No kidding, I got the following email today from a friend, about just this kind of thing:

hey Don i had question about a traffic stop in ......... where an officer in an agitated state reached in my car and personally took my firearm out of my holster without my permission. even after i informed him out of courtesy that i had a firearm on me.
Talk about potential for a bad ending! #-o

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I've found most of the time if they stop you for under 15 over PSL outside of a school/work zone they're generally looking for other infractions more so than ticketing you for just the speeding. I also never inform in GA unless I was asked to step out of a vehicle which has yet to happen. My last stop I told the officer I was on my way to the range and he did give me a break. :)
Most likely because of the rules of radar use. Anything less than 15 over is pretty much a waste of their time (withing limits; see OCGA for details).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I, too, don't keep my wallet in my pocket while driving, and instead put it some place else more accessible. Not only so that I don't have to "reach" in what could be deemed a "suspicious manner" in the event of a traffic stop, but also because it's just plain bad for your back. Like, seriously so.

Otherwise, the only time I'm going to mention to an officer that I'm armed is if s/he's going to ask me to get out of my vehicle, otherwise it's none of his or her concern. However, since I always drive with my firearm holstered on my hip (admittedly probably not much better for my back than my wallet) so I can't be separated from it (such as in the case of a car-jacking) or forget it on accident, I will absolutely notify an officer that I'm armed the instant they ask me to exit the vehicle, particularly since my firearm is sitting right next to the buckle for my seat belt, meaning I'd have to do that "reach" thing that might make an officer nervous should they be looking in from the passenger side, and I especially don't want to step out of the vehicle with a pistol on my hip to the officers' surprise.

·
5,694 Posts
I was very much recently reinforced in my intention to avoid mentioning to an LEO anything about being armed or having a firearm in the car.

I had an eye opening discussion with a high ranking police officer, who said that his approach was this: If he determined that a motorist he had stopped was armed/had a gun in the car, he would ask the driver to slowly pick up the firearm and place it on the dashboard in front of him. And then, the officer would make the gun safe. Yes...that is what he said. He also said his department did not have an SOP for this, this was merely his own method.

If an officer ever asks me to touch a firearm in such a manner, during a traffic stop or standing on a street corner, there is no way I'm going to touch that gun. I'm going to say, "Officer, I would really prefer not to touch my firearm right now, as I think it would not be safe. How would you like to handle this?" I will continue to hold on at 10 and 2 (or stand there calmly) and wait for his next move.

All the more reason to never bring up guns or present a GWCL or anything else.

·
I watch the watchers
12,885 Posts
"Do you REALLY want me to reach for, put my hands on, and handle a Deadly Weapon while you're in easy shooting range?"

·
5,694 Posts
"Do you REALLY want me to reach for, put my hands on, and handle a Deadly Weapon while you're in easy shooting range?"
Yeah, well...I'd sure be THINKING that. I would not say it.

Given that a lot of police officers are quite tense lately, I'm going to do all I can to keep calm, try to keep the officer calm, and get through the stop safely.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Yeah, well...I'd sure be THINKING that. I would not say it.

Given that a lot of police officers are quite tense lately, I'm going to do all I can to keep calm, try to keep the officer calm, and get through the stop safely.
"Lately"?! Their attitude, posture and behavior is not by any means new - not in my lifetime, or, at the least, since the "war on drugs" began anyway - they've just found a seemingly plausible excuse for it "lately".

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
This. Their request alone indicates that he's not that concerned. And if he's not that concerned then he has no business relieving me of my weapon.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I haven't had any issue with Gwinnett PD. I know several of them personally. The take an extra 300 hours of training beyond POST training. The seemed well-informed about carry laws. I work with one of the detectives from Gwinnett PD (he makes some of the products that we sell on our store, FiddlebackOutpost.com). So so far, no bad interactions with Gwinnett PD.

·
Registered
754 Posts
After watching my dad's back problems caused by sitting on his wallet (he drove an 18-wheeler) get really bad while I was still in highschool, I stated taking my wallet out when I get in the car, or any time I'm going to be sitting for a while.I never liked driving off immediately after starting the car anyway. Now that I carry full time, it has another benefit. My wallet and phone go in the console or the passenger seat after he car is started, then i put my seatbelt on, do a quick sweep of the gauges, set the radio, then drive off.

When I was younger, and did not have as much knowledge of the laws in GA, I would inform. It never caused any problems, usually 'You don't touch yours and I won't touch mine' kinda deal. But, not in the last 10 years or so. I will only inform if I am asked to do something that will bring my hand near the weapon, or possibly reveal the weapon. When I get stopped, I have my dl and insurance in my hands and in clear view as soon as I have the car stopped. I have only needed to inform twice since I stopped volunteering . Once I had to unbuckle to reach he glove box for the new insurance card, and the other time I was getting out of the car to see exactly which tail light bulb was out. I told exactly where the weapon was, and what I was going to be doing. I have never been asked to disarm, or had any issues. I have always been thanked for letting them know. I've even been stopped on the bike while carrying. I had to reach into my tankbag for wy wallet and insurance, which is in the same pocket as he spare mag. So I informed the officer that I was carrying IWB at 3-oclock, and needed to go into my tankbag for my license and insurance, and there was a spare mag in the same pouch. As alway, no problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts