Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there's a service called Project Catsnip that provide low cost veterinary care. They have a big van that goes to a different location in the metro Atlanta area every day. So, yesterday, I was taking my GF's cats there to get their rabies shots, lazy CC'ing my Sig. The location was in front of the Gwinnett County Animal Welfare building (a government building!). The van was in the parking lot in front of the building there though, not inside it, so hooray for SB-308 getting rid of these parking lots as off limits places :).

In any case, while dealing with the cat carriers and waiting on the grass next to the parking lot for the vet to call my name, my t-shirt rode up and my Sig was clearly visible for a while. Well, one guy upon seeing my weapon goes back to his car and gets on the phone. A few minutes later a Gwinnett County PD vehicle pulls into the parking lot. I had covered up my weapon by this point. He slowly pulls through the area where a bunch of us are waiting. He looks at me for a while, then slowly pulls out of the parking lot.

At this point, the guy who was on the phone pulls out of his parking space, gets behind the cop and starts honking his horn repeatedly while waving his arms in my general direction. The cop just ignores him and drives away. Apparently, the fact that we're all peacefully standing around and there's no actual crime being committed and no one is running around in a panic meant it did not even warrant him getting out of his cruiser.

My only thought at the time was getting behind a police cruiser and honking at him repeatedly is a sure way to get pulled over.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
That's awesome! :righton:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
cop did his job. he went and saw the situation and recognized that nothing illegal was going on and went back into service to go after real crime. the caller is disappointed that he couldn't ruin your day and that ruined his. :righton:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Kodus to the officer. Really is crazy how freaked out some ppl get seeing a firearm; been a lot lately around me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ookoshi said:
At this point, the guy who was on the phone pulls out of his parking space, gets behind the cop and starts honking his horn repeatedly while waving his arms in my general direction.
Maybe if he had rammed the cop to make him stop and question you? :)

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
This went just as it should :righton:

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Ive never had a problem with Gwinnett PD. One of their officers lives here in my neighborhood - he's one of the biggest 2A proponents out there and is one of the reasons I carry today. He gave a very good speech at one of our HOA meetings pointing out to everyone what we already know here: when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
That's just as it should be. Glad to see the officer did the right thing. He's probably also thinking the person on the phone, honking his horn behind him, and waving his arms around was a lunatic. :righton:

·
Senior Mumbler
6,516 Posts
patrick4588 said:
Kodus to the officer. Really is crazy how freaked out some ppl get seeing a firearm; been a lot lately around me.
Years and years of conditioning got them this way. The good news is that the attitude is slowly changing, though it's not going to happen overnight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Maybe the officer should have given him (the arm waiver/honker) a ticket for disorderly conduct? :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts