Gwinnett County PD

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by ookoshi, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

So, there's a service called Project Catsnip that provide low cost veterinary care. They have a big van that goes to a different location in the metro Atlanta area every day. So, yesterday, I was taking my GF's cats there to get their rabies shots, lazy CC'ing my Sig. The location was in front of the Gwinnett County Animal Welfare building (a government building!). The van was in the parking lot in front of the building there though, not inside it, so hooray for SB-308 getting rid of these parking lots as off limits places :).

In any case, while dealing with the cat carriers and waiting on the grass next to the parking lot for the vet to call my name, my t-shirt rode up and my Sig was clearly visible for a while. Well, one guy upon seeing my weapon goes back to his car and gets on the phone. A few minutes later a Gwinnett County PD vehicle pulls into the parking lot. I had covered up my weapon by this point. He slowly pulls through the area where a bunch of us are waiting. He looks at me for a while, then slowly pulls out of the parking lot.

At this point, the guy who was on the phone pulls out of his parking space, gets behind the cop and starts honking his horn repeatedly while waving his arms in my general direction. The cop just ignores him and drives away. Apparently, the fact that we're all peacefully standing around and there's no actual crime being committed and no one is running around in a panic meant it did not even warrant him getting out of his cruiser.

My only thought at the time was getting behind a police cruiser and honking at him repeatedly is a sure way to get pulled over.

2. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

3. samman23

samman23 New Member

cop did his job. he went and saw the situation and recognized that nothing illegal was going on and went back into service to go after real crime. the caller is disappointed that he couldn't ruin your day and that ruined his. :righton:

4. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

Kodus to the officer. Really is crazy how freaked out some ppl get seeing a firearm; been a lot lately around me.

5. RickN

RickN New Member

Maybe if he had rammed the cop to make him stop and question you? :)

6. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

This went just as it should :righton:

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Ive never had a problem with Gwinnett PD. One of their officers lives here in my neighborhood - he's one of the biggest 2A proponents out there and is one of the reasons I carry today. He gave a very good speech at one of our HOA meetings pointing out to everyone what we already know here: when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

That's just as it should be. Glad to see the officer did the right thing. He's probably also thinking the person on the phone, honking his horn behind him, and waving his arms around was a lunatic. :righton:

9. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Really though... the OP might have been a... cat burglar....

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Years and years of conditioning got them this way. The good news is that the attitude is slowly changing, though it's not going to happen overnight.

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

They were burgling something from them cats, that's for sure. :shattered:

12. Viking

Viking New Member

Maybe the officer should have given him (the arm waiver/honker) a ticket for disorderly conduct? :D

13. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Sounds like a perfect non-encounter! Glad to hear it happened in the county I live in! :)