Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got pulled over yesterday for an expired tag( ops....my bad). When the officer approached my truck he asked to see my licence and insurance. I didnt have the insurance card on me( ops...my bad x2). Then he tells me that my tag came back as uninsured in whatever database insurance companies have to give your information to. And my gun was on my front seat...

That officer had every right to impound my vehicle, take me to jail, and charge me with driving without insurance. But he didn't. He let me call my insurance company (SafeAuto) and they sent whatever info to whatever database, after twenty minutes through an automated system. He wrote me a ticket for the tag and sent me on my way. Never a mention of the pistol (in a holster) in plain view on the front set.

+1 Karma City Of Snellville Police Department for having some patience and common sense. :righton:
-1 Karma Safe Auto for almost getting my butt arrested, you plague infested rat you.

My 6 month policy with them is up in January. Anybody know of a GOOD insurance company?
Edit: Changed Gwinnett Police Department to City Of Snellville Police Department
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
Good news on the encounter (well.... mostly..)

Don't be so quick to shoot Safe Auto (never used 'em so I can't say good or bad),
'cause it is entirely possible that they did in fact send the information to DPS
and your record didn't get updated... OR .....
Maybe DPS is trying out the Dekalb fund-raising methodology...
Let folks pay their tickets and then... at a later date... pretend that they didn't
and threaten them with failure to appear if they don't pay.. (again !!)

But seriously... I have lived in Gwinnett most of the 25 years that I have been in Georgia
and have found that most of the officers are actually pretty reasonable.

Glad it MOSTLY went well for you :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,809 Posts
Glad it turned out well. I've a couple of run ins with Gwinnett PD and they have been great every time. I actually had the same missing tag stop in Forsyth County by a deputy. I had the tags, but threw them in the glove box and never actually put them on the plate. He let me put them on there during the stop and I was on my way.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
madamimadam said:
I got pulled over yesterday for an expired tag( ops....my bad). When the officer approached my truck he asked to see my licence and insurance. I didnt have the insurance card on me( ops...my bad x2). Then he tells me that my tag came back as uninsured in whatever database insurance companies have to give your information to. And my gun was on my front seat...

That officer had every right to impound my vehicle, take me to jail, and charge me with driving without insurance. But he didn't. He let me call my insurance company (SafeAuto) and they sent whatever info to whatever database, after twenty minutes through an automated system. He wrote me a ticket for the tag and sent me on my way. Never a mention of the pistol (in a holster) in plain view on the front set.

+1 Karma Gwinnett County Police Department for having some patience and common sense. :righton:
-1 Karma Safe Auto for almost getting my butt arrested, you plague infested rat you.

My 6 month policy with them is up in January. Anybody know of a GOOD insurance company?
Glad it turned out well for you!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,524 Posts
I have used Georgia Farm Bureau for everything, house, cars, business, well, everything but life insurance. The reason is that they have a local office wherever you live, and you can actually walk in and talk to a real person who is your insurance agent. That makes a difference to me.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Georgia+ ... CCoQtQMwAQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,553 Posts
I get this great calendar from State Farm every Christmas.
Hard to beat that.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
68,524 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
I get this great calendar from State Farm every Christmas.
Hard to beat that.
They would not insure me when I came home from the military, because I could not show proof of insurance in the U.S. for the previous two years, and they would not accept the insurance I had carried overseas. I will never, ever use State Farm for anything at all, ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Tell us how you really feel, MP. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,553 Posts
Seriously, I know they are charging me too much.

Just too lazy to shop around, after 10 years.

Agent is a friend of a friend and that trumped the screw-over they gave me on a house fire 20 yrs ago in a different state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
USAA FTW. I can download a .pdf of my insurance card to my phone and let the cop see it there if he needs to.

Glad you didn't get arrested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Gwinnett PD impounded my vehicle as I was pulling into an emissions station less that a mile from my home. The vehicle had been off the road for some repairs, and I was getting the emissions checked in order to renew the tag.
 

·
GeePeeDoHolic
Joined
·
6,404 Posts
madamimadam said:
+1 Karma Gwinnett County Police Department for having some patience and common sense. :righton:
MiM,

Did you get the officer's name? If so, send the Uniform Division a quick letter saying you appreciate the professionalism.

Asst. Chief Butch Ayers
Commander, Uniform Division
Gwinnett County Police Department
770 Hi Hope Rd
Lawrenceville, GA 30044

Dear Asst. Chief Ayers,
&c, &c, &c.
I did after my meeting with an officer a couple of months ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rugerer said:
madamimadam said:
+1 Karma Gwinnett County Police Department for having some patience and common sense. :righton:
MiM,

Did you get the officer's name? If so, send the Uniform Division a quick letter saying you appreciate the professionalism.

Asst. Chief Butch Ayers
Commander, Uniform Division
Gwinnett County Police Department
770 Hi Hope Rd
Lawrenceville, GA 30044

Dear Asst. Chief Ayers,
&c, &c, &c.
I did after my meeting with an officer a couple of months ago.
yes, his name is on the ticket. Coats, Badge 10, Div CMV

I will write a letter, he has upped my faith in police, and in a way, the goodness of humanity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
dunkel said:
USAA FTW. I can download a .pdf of my insurance card to my phone and let the cop see it there if he needs to.

Glad you didn't get arrested.
+1 for USAA, awesome company to deal with. Not sure if you have to be affiliated with the military to get insured thru them. I know at one time you did.
 

·
******* Engineer
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I have used Georgia Farm Bureau for everything, house, cars, business, well, everything but life insurance. The reason is that they have a local office wherever you live, and you can actually walk in and talk to a real person who is your insurance agent. That makes a difference to me.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Georgia+ ... CCoQtQMwAQ
All the way up until you are in a wreck. At which point they try to screw you over every chance they get. I understand the adjuster trying to lowball me by a few thousand on the vehicle, but I don't understand the reluctance of my "local" agent to discuss the accident with me afterwards. Not to mention the lack of medical payments on their part. Had to call several times about the bills I was receiving.

All in all, I will never use a Farm Bureau product again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
My family has been a member for state farm yeaaaarrrrs So I also have them and love them never a issue and always compete with price from other companies .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
501 Posts
USAA and Amica are always rated really highly in customer surveys. My family has been with Amica years, my in-laws with USAA. We are all really happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
799 Posts
Was with State Farm for 25 yrs. and two years ago switched to Liberty Mutual. Saved me over one thousand dollars yearly for the five autos I have to insure. Very friendly and professional and handled all my issues quickly and to my expectations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
madamimadam said:
I got pulled over yesterday for an expired tag( ops....my bad). When the officer approached my truck he asked to see my licence and insurance. I didnt have the insurance card on me( ops...my bad x2). Then he tells me that my tag came back as uninsured in whatever database insurance companies have to give your information to. And my gun was on my front seat...

That officer had every right to impound my vehicle, take me to jail, and charge me with driving without insurance. But he didn't. He let me call my insurance company (SafeAuto) and they sent whatever info to whatever database, after twenty minutes through an automated system. He wrote me a ticket for the tag and sent me on my way. Never a mention of the pistol (in a holster) in plain view on the front set.

+1 Karma Gwinnett County Police Department for having some patience and common sense. :righton:
-1 Karma Safe Auto for almost getting my butt arrested, you plague infested rat you.

My 6 month policy with them is up in January. Anybody know of a GOOD insurance company?
correction... not gwinnett county...snellville city
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top