Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Gwinnett County Fair?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  mountainpass 
#1 ·
I tried to locate if this is on private property and/or operated by a private entity, but couldn't.

Anyway, they had a "No Weapons" sign posted when I went today.

Anybody know the scoop on this?

#3 ·
Phil1979 said:
I tried to locate if this is on private property and/or operated by a private entity, but couldn't.

maybe they just like wasting money on signs? maybe they just hope that everyone is misinformed and will blindly believe any sign they see?

#4 ·
270sniper said:
Phil1979 said:

maybe they just like wasting money on signs? maybe they just hope that everyone is misinformed and will blindly believe any sign they see?
Either that or they are left overs that never came down.

#6 ·
The Gwinnett County Fair & Livestock Association, Inc is a nonprofit corporation that both owns the fairgrounds and hosts the fair.

I do not believe they are an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

#9 ·
Thanks for the furthur clarification. That lets me know that if one wanted to carry anyway at the fair, it'd have to be cc only like some did Sunday. :)

And if you're caught, you just leave when asked to avoid a tresspassing charge. No fuss, no muss.

#11 ·
What, she wasn't small? Or was it that she wasn't the smallest? ;)

I'm a bit confused on this perhaps...

If a person owns land and has a sign saying "No Firearms" or similar, then I am absolutely prohibited from taking my firearm despite the fact that signs hold no weight.

However, if a business owns a store and says " No Firearms" or similar, then I can ignore it (until they ask me to leave) because signs don't hold weight.

Do I have that right? A private property issue that is not a business CAN actually prohibit your carrying a weapon with a sign in Georgia?

I know, sorry...i try to use my brain, but it objects so much when I wake it up.

#12 ·
Owl said:
If a person owns land and has a sign saying "No Firearms" or similar, then I am absolutely prohibited from taking my firearm despite the fact that signs hold no weight.

However, if a business owns a store and says " No Firearms" or similar, then I can ignore it (until they ask me to leave) because signs don't hold weight.

Do I have that right? A private property issue that is not a business CAN actually prohibit your carrying a weapon with a sign in Georgia?
A business . . . do you mean a corporation? If so, then a corporation is a person under Georgia law, so there is no difference between those two scenarios you describe. Whatever the law is for one - it is for the other. So if a sign is effective for one, then it is effective for the other.

The Georgia criminal trespass law does not use the word "sign." Go to the Georgia General Assembly web site, click on Georgia Code, and read it, so you will know what the statute states on this issue. Then decide for yourself if a sign would otherwise meet the requirements of the Code. Please do not rely on internet postings to keep yourself out of jail.

#14 ·
My wife wants to go check out the fair, so I just want to make sure I have this straight...

Since "no weapons" signage holds no legal weight in the state of GA, one would be free to carry a weapon at the Gwinnett County Fair (assuming they have a GWL). However, if asked, they must leave the fairground or risk facing trespass charges. So in other words, if its concealed and no one knows about it but you, you're GTG.

Did I get that right?

#15 ·
Owl said:
What, she wasn't small? Or was it that she wasn't the smallest? ;)
Oh, she's small alright. And about 80 years old, sitting on a sofa watching TV, and looking absolutely miserable due to the fact that people pay money to parade past and watch her watch TV. There are few times that I've personally observed an individual being exploited like that, and it is gut-wrenching.

Also, the Crazy Mouse is much scarier than it appears from the ground.

martin_j001 said:
One would be free to carry a weapon at the Gwinnett County Fair (assuming they have a GWL). However, if asked, they must leave the fairground or risk facing trespass charges. So in other words, if its concealed and no one knows about it but you, you're GTG.

Did I get that right?
That is my interpretation. However, :ianal: Heed Malum's advice.

#16 ·
I know a Gentleman that carried all night there with his wife and daughter. He even chatted up some of Gwinnett's Finest. I know for a fact there were no incidents. :cantsay:

#17 ·
Rix45ACP said:
I know a Gentleman that carried all night there with his wife and daughter. He even chatted up some of Gwinnett's Finest. I know for a fact there were no incidents. :cantsay:
I'll bet he was carrying in deep concealment. Wasn't strapped on his hip for all the world to see. (It would be foolish, imo, to outside carry in a large crowd like that.) Do you happen to know what "he" was carrying?

#18 ·
mountainman444 said:
Rix45ACP said:
I'll bet he was carrying in deep concealment. Wasn't strapped on his hip for all the world to see. (It would be foolish, imo, to outside carry in a large crowd like that.) Do you happen to know what "he" was carrying?
Probably some Glock in .45
I know that it wasn't one of these (in an ankle holster):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.