Gwinnett Arena?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by spgtti72, Nov 4, 2010.

1. spgtti72

spgtti72 New Member

Is it carry-able? Any metal detectors or pat downs?

2. railin93

railin93 New Member

went to the Gladiators game last night and saw no wands or stand-ups but there were GCPD there obviously but no check points that i saw...watched to see if they were random checking and saw none either...

could be that SB308 let the restrictions loose for the games and such there but i wouldnt hold my word to that...it is a "public gathering" but that's a loose term for sporting events...guess you could always contact the offices and ask the poilcy but i bet they discourage it due to liability...

edit****...looked up the policies for the arena and it does state weapons are prohibited but that goes without saying but signs have no authority here but i'd err on the side of caution and go CCW as long as i was there...and i mean REALLY well concealed...man you couldnt imagine the panic ensued over MWAG cries in a place like that, especially with all the kids there last night!!!!

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Since when did "public gathering" become a term for sporting events? It never has meant that. Public Gatherings used to entail much more than that. Also "public gatherings" are no longer off limits for carry.

Read OCGA 16-11-127, I'll copy the entire text of it below to save you the trouble of looking it up. Do you see public gatherings mentioned?

Carefully read the portion about government buildings, including the definition of a govenrment building. Think to yourself (research if needed), does Gwinnett Arena meet that definition?

If it does not meet that definition, you are legally free to carry there.

You do not need to call ask for permission or what their policy is. If you are legal, carry.

4. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

To add to what Adam5 said, if you are discovered carrying and are asked to leave-do so immediately!!

5. spgtti72

spgtti72 New Member

We went to the Gladiators game Saturday night too. Other than a few GCPD there were no signs or metal detectors and it was well organized and a great venue to go to. Their web site states no weapons or firearms, but you have to search a little to find their rules of conduct.

On another note this was the first hockey game I've ever been to and man what a show!

6. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Does a government entity meet or have offices in the arena?

7. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Just wanted to give an update on my recent visit. My experience was nearly identical to yours. I only saw one officer down by the players and that was it. Good family experience. This was my first time at the Arena and I thought it was a nice place.

I didn't carry this time because we were late and I didn't want to potentially make the trek back to my car and back again. Next time I will.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I carried at the Gladiators game that I went to last month.

9. Howerpower

Howerpower New Member

I LC'd at a recent concert there. My better half sings the national anthem there from time to time and there is never any searches. I'll check with some of the folks there that I know well and try to feel them out.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What is there to feel out or ask about? It is a legal location for carry.

11. Howerpower

Howerpower New Member

if they would ask you to leave or not. It is legal, but it would be great to know ahead of time if they would ask you to leave.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Asking questions like that have led to no firearms signs being put up at several places.

It's legal to carry, so conceal and carry. No Problem.

13. Howerpower

Howerpower New Member

I dont mean 'officially ask about their policy'. I have a couple friends that work there...just to feel them out. However, it doesn't mean that I won't carry! :righton:

14. 70755

70755 Guest

No one answered this question yet I see. Seems to me if the building is publicly owned and any agency has an office there, the place would be off limits as a "government building". No? For that matter, the Cobb County arena where the gun shows used to (still are?) be held would be off limts it seems.

Personally, I find the "goverment building" definition still too broadly and ambiguously defined.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you ask, I'd bet dollars-to-doughnuts that they are going to say "no" at a place like that.

16. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

going to Gwinnett Arena tonight for concert......

.....and will be CC'ing. My only decision is....PM9 or CW45 under an untucked shirt. Hope they don't decide to wand folks at this dangerous Christian concert......