GWCL for a Probate Judge

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by bubbageek, Oct 8, 2015.

1. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

How does a probate judge get a GWCL? You are supposed to apply in your county of residence but can a Probate Judge legally issue a license to himself.

2. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

Do they need one? I thought they were on of the "privileged" that didn't require a license to carry. I suppose they would need one for reciprocity.

3. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

Reciprocity is the reason and any judge is only one election away from unemployment.

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I imagine they do the paperwork, get the background checks, and issue themselves one.

TimBob likes this.
  5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130 Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:
    (12) State and federal judges, judges of probate, juvenile, and magistrate courts, full-time judges of municipal and city courts, and permanent part-time judges of municipal and city courts;

6. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

I will concur that judges are exempt from the having to have a carry permit in Georgia if they want to carry. The question is, how do they get one if they want one for reciprocity with other states. The fact that he or she is a judge may not allow them to carry in other states and does that fact exempt from NICS checks when they buy a gun? A probate judge should recuse himself/herself from issuing one to themselves. They must apply in their county of residence. They must live in the county they serve. As I understand the law, only the probate judge can issue these and not a superior court judge or a magistrate. How can a probate judge get a GWCL in Georgia?

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you want to know who issues a probate judge a GWCL, just ask Sheriff Oconee who gives him a CLEO sign off for his NFA items.

gunsmoker likes this.
  8. bubbageek

bubbageek New Member

Adam,

Are you implying that the county's CLEO can sign off on a GWCL permit? I thought that signing off on an NFA application by the CLEO of the county is federal law. The issuance of GWCL's is governed by state law.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

No. I am implying that if a CLEO can sign off on their own NFA paperwork, chances are that a probate judge can sign off on their own GWCL as long as they meet the requirements.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Fill out the application... order the background checks... sign the permit.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

^ Best bet, a GWL fits the clerical powers of a Probate Judge much more than the magistrate. So long as the clerk of court can attest to the Judge that the applicant's (Judge's) information was properly supplied, I don't see why the Judge cannot sign the document attesting to such.

12. SimbaLion

SimbaLion Banned

This stuff is a mess. The reason it's a mess is because they have infringed upon our constitutional rights. When someone tries to apply their crooked tyranical agendas to a sound policy, bugs occur.

Constitutional carry would solve all of this, and is the only legitimate constitutional approach.

13. stricnine

stricnine Awesome member

I dont think its federal law because the cleo of whitfield county doesnt sign nfa items. I have to start a trust 1 of these days to get more goodies.

14. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

Reply I received from the probate judge in Franklin County.

Mike,
    The answer to your question is the Probate Judge. It is best practice to have another Judge, preferably a Superior Court Judge, to sign off on the Weapons Carry License. The License however will still have their name on the back as being the one that issued it.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I once picked a jury from a jury pool that initially included the presiding judge himself. He disclosed this by announcing that having to miss work to serve as a juror would not generally be a sufficient reason to be excused from jury service.

However, he added, there could be certain exceptions-- like himself! He said "I've got one of these jury summons, but I can't be a juror on the same case where I am the presiding judge, so I think I'm just going to excuse myself for cause. If there are no objections from either of the lawyers... <he looked at us>.

"No objection, Your Honor."

"None here either, Judge."

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Do probate judges need a license when they retire?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How does a probate judge get a marriage license?

18. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Where does the probate judge go to have a will probated?

Edit: I scrolled back and liked a post by coffeemate, just for old times' sake.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I know where they go to get taught a lesson ----- to court with jrm!

TimBob and ICP_Juggalo like this.