Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAFE

SELF-DEFENSE AWARENESS & FAMILIARIZATION EXCHANGE

Self-defense Awareness & Familiarization Exchange is a two hour program offered for female students, faculty and staff at KSU, free of charge. The program is based upon the following ideas: violent crimes are crimes of opportunity, and when you remove the element of opportunity, you reduce the risk of attack. 90% of self-defense is mental preparedness; the other 10% is physical. S.A.F.E. will provide participants with great crime prevention information and resources as well as a pre-basic familiarization with physical defense training methods

Please Join us

The next SAFE class will be held at

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center Studio #3

Friday, October 29, 2010
1:00-3:00 PM

To register for this class please reply to this e-mail

KSU Police
Ensuring that Kennesaw State University
is a safe and secure community

Sgt. B. Haynes
Kennesaw State University Police Department
Community Policing Unit

770-423-6663
I got this email about an hour ago. Am i just reading this wrong or are males not at risk for violent crime? I have never been offered a male only self defense class or a co-ed class for that matter.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
No, of course we males could never be a target of violent crime at KSU. -.-

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
They have to teach self-defense at KSU for all the girls that Southside Steve goes after. :lol:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Having trained men and women in martial arts, I can tell you that women often feel intimidated by working directly with men at the beginning.
The kinds of people I see in my classes are self selecting, they have an interest already or they wouldn't be there and I still see hesitancy on the part of the women,
the men tend to dive in and get aggressive.

For a 'short course' such as this, it is probably a good idea to have segregated classes. Some of the awareness and avoidance issues are different
for women than men. That said, I would like to see a self defense short course designed for the males also. In a co-ed short course, the women would
be intimidated and therefore participate less enthusiastically and the men would feel frustrated and held back by the coddling of the women.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
OrdinaryEverydayGuy said:
Having trained men and women in martial arts, I can tell you that women often feel intimidated by working directly with men at the beginning.
The kinds of people I see in my classes are self selecting, they have an interest already or they wouldn't be there and I still see hesitancy on the part of the women,

For a 'short course' such as this, it is probably a good idea to have segregated classes. Some of the awareness and avoidance issues are different
for women than men. That said, I would like to see a self defense short course designed for the males also. In a co-ed short course, the women would
be intimidated and therefore participate less enthusiastically and the men would feel frustrated and held back by the coddling of the women.
Women want to learn how to defend themselves from rape.

Men want to learn how to beat the :censored: out of somebody who bothers them.

I have many, many years of self-defense and martial arts training. When it comes up in conversation with people, with very few exceptions, the guys all want to fight me to find out if I really know what I'm talking about and doing. That, or they think I think I'm Forrest Griffin or Kimbo Slice.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
not sure id want to sit through a class watching them teach the women an hours worth of ball strikes

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
not sure id want to sit through a class watching them teach the women an hours worth of ball strikes
but i will NOT hesistate in participating in the titty twisting class:D

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
TippinTaco said:
atlsrt44 said:
So...you're offering yourself as the target? hmmmmm... I always suspected that about you. :wink:

8)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
TippinTaco said:
atlsrt44 said:
So...you're offering yourself as the target? hmmmmm... I always suspected that about you. :wink:

8)
:banghead:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
If I were a devious bad guy, I'd demand that men be allowed in the class. Then I'd show up for class in order to meet defenseless women. Then I'd pay attention to what was taught so I could use it against them later.

Of course, most bad guys are not that devious or that smart.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Nullifier said:
If I were a devious bad guy, I'd demand that men be allowed in the class. Then I'd show up for class in order to meet defenseless women. Then I'd pay attention to what was taught so I could use it against them later.

Of course, most bad guys are not that devious or that smart.
or ever decide to waste their time on watching a one ounding on a kick bag and screaming at the same time. I've not been to these classes but I've dated girls that have went and honestly its basic struggling moves followed by fleeing or a kick to the:

Thats why they tell you to start swining your arms and kicking and screaming, more than likely if you can get the legs up high enough your going to kick him in the promise land and he will release, or elbow him in the nose one way or another. I've watched alot of Law and Order and CSI :D

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OrdinaryEverydayGuy said:

I can understand that but they have never once sent me an invitation to one that men are allowed. I am paying the same tuition as all the women and i am not offered the same classes, it seems that KSU does not think that men are at risk. Sound the same as GT telling their students to travel in groups, just more victims at once.

·
Cumberland County, Maine
1,306 Posts
I once took a French Self-Defense class. It was the most running I have ever done in my life.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
Dan said:
I once took a French Self-Defense class. It was the most running I have ever done in my life.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Dan said:
Did they award everyone a white flag at the end of the class?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts