Gunsmoker's Oversight

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Gunsmoker posted this over at PDO but for some reason neglected to post it here, so I have copied it here and posted it for him. These two men were members of the church of Christ on Gordon Road in Moreland, the congregation where my family attends church. This happened a long time ago (1990), but the cretins who committed the murder were only arrested more recently.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Joe Rainwater and his son George were shot and killed on January 24, 1990, at the home of Joe's other son, Kevin. Kevin's neighbor, Evelyn Hall, spied a suspicious white van at the house and called Joe's sister and George's aunt, Ann Houston, who lived across the street from Kevin. Houston and her daughter saw the van and a man who resembled Denny. Houston telephoned Joe's wife, who presumably then contacted Joe and George. The two men drove separately to Kevin's house and arrived while the van was still there. Denny, his brother Michael Denny (“Michaelâ€), and Russell Brown, who committed burglaries together, had broken into Kevin Rainwater's home. They had driven around Coweta County in search of a home to burglarize and selected Kevin Rainwater's home because it looked empty, and sat far back off the road. When Joe and George arrived, Denny took a pistol from Brown and forced the Rainwaters inside and onto the floor. Denny then gave the pistol to Michael and ordered him to shoot the men, which he did. George's pregnant wife and five-year-old daughter found the bodies later in the day. The men had been shot in the head, execution style, by a .380 semi-automatic pistol. The house had been ransacked. A distinctive AR-15 rifle had been stolen along with a .22 pistol, a shotgun, a bottle of liquor, and other items. Evidence collected at the scene included .380 shell casings and a cigarette butt.

The crimes went unsolved, but the investigation continued. In 1998, an investigator was able to trace the stolen AR-15 rifle. The investigator also resubmitted the cigarette butt to the State Crime Lab for testing. In October, 1998, the lab was able to extract and analyze DNA from saliva on the cigarette. The resultant DNA information was periodically run through a GBI database of known samples until December, 2001, when a match with the DNA of Michael occurred. Investigators obtained a search warrant for a blood sample from Michael; analysis of that sample confirmed the match.

Further investigation revealed that Michael had been arrested for burglary in neighboring Spalding County seven days after the Rainwater murders. Also arrested were Denny, another relative, and Russell Brown. They were arrested in Denny's white van.

3. Malum Prohibitum

:oops: By "these two men" I meant the victims were church members, not the cretins. :oops:

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

My heart breaks. What a despicable crime. That sort of thing really is offensive to humanity.

Just the other day, my wife called me regarding a suspicious white pickup truck parked in front of the house. Turns out is was just a lost painter looking at a map. Coming home to that unarmed could lead to just the result posted above.