gunsmith to check out used revolver?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by fmlaw1, Dec 6, 2010.

1. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

What does something like this cost? Also, and recommendations in the NW Metro ATL area (Cobb, Fulton, Douglas, Cherokee, DeKalb, Gwinnett)?

Revolvers are a different animal that semis, and one would want it checked out before just loading up a cylinder and shooting.

No rush, just trying to gather info for now.

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I can only think of one in your area. I don't know if it extends to wheelies, but I think DKing likes the guy at Adventure Outdoors for autos. Maybe PM him?

3. murrybird

murrybird New Member

There is the owner of Deercreek off of Fairground in Marietta,near the Square, I really like when it comes to older guns.

4. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

His son is the smith there!

5. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

What costs can I expect to have it checked out and get an opinion as to its working order - a round/ballpark estimate?

6. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

+1

7. Swamper

Swamper Member

Brian of Ott Gunworks has done work for me and I give him an
    "OUTSTANDING" for his gunsmithing ability.

:righton:

8. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Thanks to all who chimed in as to who to do the work. It was helpful.

Any ideas as to rough cost to look a wheelgun, feel free to toss in your $.02.

9. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I have no clue what it would cost but I do wonder why you are needing the gun inspected.

Is it an old gun? Does something not look quiet right?

You don't have to answer, I'm just curious.

You should be able to call anyone listed here and get a general estimate on the cost before you go.

10. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

"Old" H&R revolver, but bright and shiny, in .32 S&W Long. Probably made in about 1974 or so.

I have never owned revolvers, so I would not know what to look at to determine safety. Semi-autos HG, O/U, s/a & pump shotguns, and rifles, I feel comfortable tearing into and making my own determination.

I suppose I could just load it up and let 'er rip. I would just feel more comfortable to have someone look at it and give me professional feedback before I do.

11. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

12. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Thanks for the link Spots!